BBC decides not to renew Jeremy Clarkson's contract

Lite Beer

The hotel was some 70 odd miles from the filming location so they needed helicopter...

They kept the helicopter waiting two hours while in the pub, how much did that cost the BBC? was that the nearest hotel of acceptable standard? next time the BBC asks parliament for more money maybe time for our MP's looked at the BBC's extravagant spending in detail.

Ah so now it's the BBCs fault! I'm sure that was the only hotel of an acceptable standard to someone with Clarkson's sense of entitlement. The point is, the helicopter was kept waiting for 2 hours at taxpayers expense because Clarkson wanted to go drinking instead of honouring his table reservation. But of course this is the fault of the BBC! Anything to excuse Clarkson's yobbish behaviour eh!

I had not intended it that way, but yes...

Obviously this highlights issues where money is being wasted, I wonder who submitted the expense claim for those drinks in the pub?

As I understand it is the producers responsibility for staying in within budget, and obviously with the BBC I expect money not to be wasted or spent foolishly even if the program does make a profit.

If the BBC was a private company that I held shares in I would be asking for the chairman's resignation.

Hospitality is normal practice for many UK television shows,

Food, drinks and accommodation along with catered show parties, breakfasts.

Managers get a hospitality budget which they have almost complete authority over and were expected to spend each month.

I was often (at least once a week) taken to eat at the Ramada, Claridge's and other famous London Venues along with more normal restaurants after shows.

Not to mention chauffeured cars home when the shows ran late.

Did I mention double and triple shifts at up to 10x your normal overtime rates (not often but sometimes).

Once I was lent to BBC Scotland for a year, (from BBC Television Centre) apartment in Glasgow, return air tickets to London (or for my gf to visit Glasgow) every weekend, food, laundry all paid for on top of my normal salary.

That was a few years back though, before I retired, can't imagine it changing.

The more important you were, the more money they spent on keeping you happy.

Clarkson would have been treated like a king.

Very easy to spend someone else's money for them. That is what the BBC are good at. Very high salaries, used to be very inflexible working, over manned, poor budget control - all the vices private industry had to address decades ago.

What caused the argument - "super star" spoiled child Clarkson want his own way - regardless of massive expense and inconvenience. He is a lad isn't he. Then he looses it (how pissed was he?) and thumps somebody who was supposedly in charge.

The BBC has a reality problem - and so does Clarkson. They are right to sack him. He's lucky not to be prosecuted for assault.

Given the cuurent mood of austerity and cutbacks, and revelations about helicopters on standby while actors piss up on the public, more needs looking into.

• Like 1

^^BB's right.

Clarkson used to be funny, very witty, but he lost it and became hateful as one poster put it so well.

I mean why drag up conflicts like Vietnam and the Falklands? Suffering and death just isn't funny. Why be racist? You don't have to do this stuff to "stick it to the PC crowd".

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

The hotel was some 70 odd miles from the filming location so they needed helicopter...

They kept the helicopter waiting two hours while in the pub, how much did that cost the BBC? was that the nearest hotel of acceptable standard? next time the BBC asks parliament for more money maybe time for our MP's looked at the BBC's extravagant spending in detail.

Ah so now it's the BBCs fault! I'm sure that was the only hotel of an acceptable standard to someone with Clarkson's sense of entitlement. The point is, the helicopter was kept waiting for 2 hours at taxpayers expense because Clarkson wanted to go drinking instead of honouring his table reservation. But of course this is the fault of the BBC! Anything to excuse Clarkson's yobbish behaviour eh!

I had not intended it that way, but yes...

Obviously this highlights issues where money is being wasted, I wonder who submitted the expense claim for those drinks in the pub?

As I understand it is the producers responsibility for staying in within budget, and obviously with the BBC I expect money not to be wasted or spent foolishly even if the program does make a profit.

If the BBC was a private company that I held shares in I would be asking for the chairman's resignation.

Hospitality is normal practice for many UK television shows,

Food, drinks and accommodation along with catered show parties, breakfasts.

Managers get a hospitality budget which they have almost complete authority over and were expected to spend each month.

I was often (at least once a week) taken to eat at the Ramada, Claridge's and other famous London Venues along with more normal restaurants after shows.

Not to mention chauffeured cars home when the shows ran late.

Did I mention double and triple shifts at up to 10x your normal overtime rates (not often but sometimes).

Once I was lent to BBC Scotland for a year, (from BBC Television Centre) apartment in Glasgow, return air tickets to London (or for my gf to visit Glasgow) every weekend, food, laundry all paid for on top of my normal salary.

That was a few years back though, before I retired, can't imagine it changing.

The more important you were, the more money they spent on keeping you happy.

Clarkson would have been treated like a king.

Exactly...

Are you telling us that the BBC could not keep or recruit talent without lavish excessive spending, may be fine to treat guests like that but employees and contractors, is it not just payment in kind, did they tax on those perks?

Clearly someone needs to take a look at the BBC's spending.

Best thing the BBC have done in years.

Clarkson is an arrogant prick, thinks he isbigger better than anyone.

He and his wife bought an old lighthouse on the Isle of Man. Closed a public footpath (illegally) because they did not want people looking in on them.

Big prick got a strop on because he was hungry, assaulted a producer, should be charged and hopefully jailed.

Thinks he is bigger/better than others, time he was brought down a peg or two.

Get your facts right. That footpath exists at the landowner's pleasure ie it can be used by the public only with the agreement of the owner of the land over which it passes. Not illegal at all.

Are you telling us that the BBC could not keep or recruit talent without lavish excessive spending, may be fine to treat guests like that but employees and contractors, is it not just payment in kind, did they tax on those perks?

Clearly someone needs to take a look at the BBC's spending.

Top Gear (aka the Clarkson show) brought in 50M.

Without him it will be making a loss.

If I were managing the company, I would be giving him whatever he wanted.

As for employees, the one in question had to feed and accommodate him and failed.

Shouldn't have been hit (if he was?) but should have been sacked.

Note:

Employee would likely have been on a short term contract for this show only.

Producers (and assistant producers) don't often get staff jobs (or regular employment).

It's a business, it's not about people being nice to each other, it's about making money.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

He and his wife bought an old lighthouse on the Isle of Man. Closed a public footpath (illegally) because they did not want people looking in on them.

Big prick got a strop on because he was hungry, assaulted a producer, should be charged and hopefully jailed.

Get your facts right. That footpath exists at the landowner's pleasure ie it can be used by the public only with the agreement of the owner of the land over which it passes. Not illegal at all.

Funny how he lost the legal case and had to put it back though.

w00t.gif

• Like 1

Funny how he lost the legal case and had to put it back though.

w00t.gif

Hmmmm. Can't remember where I read the info I said earlier, but it was clearly wrong. You are correct.