Hottest Thai dish known to man?

Ayutthaya11

Since the age of 10 when I had my first vindaloo I have been into spicy foods ever since.

I've eat the hottest Indian food known to man the "phall" made extra spicy with extra chillies customised to feel the heat on so many occasions I've lost count. I've taken part in hot wing challenges etc but nothing seems to defeat me.

Last time I was in Thailand to my Thai friends surprise I was eating some of the hottest foods without breaking a sweat. I loved it.

I will be coming back the end of the year so my question to yourselves is what is the single most hottest Thai dish known to man? Something so hot you probably have to sign a waiver before you eat it. I love a challenge.

Many thanks.

Edited by Ashley1982

My top three spicy dishes here are..

Khao phat nam prik narok which roughly translates to chilli from Hell.

Gang Tai Blah or Fish Organ Soup.. from southern Thailand.. very spicy.

Kua gling moo... very spicy also.

See how you go after any of these 3 dishes.

Edited by wow64
  • Like 1

My top three spicy dishes here are..

Khao phat nam prik narok which roughly translates to chilli from Hell.

Gang Tai Blah or Fish Organ Soup.. from southern Thailand.. very spicy.

Kua gling moo... very spicy also.

chilli from hell, I'll give that a shot.

Well, I've been eating food extra hot and spicy for decades and I love it.

Yes I've heard the Indian phali in England where the cooks have to wear gas masks is the ultimate.

Possibly so.

For me an extra hot vindaloo or suicide sauce level chicken wings are basically no challenge at all.

But believe it or not, the spiciest dish I've eaten by far, by a long shot, is a Korean dish in a trendy Korean restaurant in the USA.

They had spice levels on the menu and as usual I ordered the most hot.

The waiters were freaked out.

I was visited by waiters and even the chef maybe five times before they agreed to serve it to me.

They said Koreans don't order it that way and less than ten people had ordered in that way in the years the place had been opened.

I told them I wouldn't send it back no matter what and accepted full responsibility for my actions.

I was pretty amazed because I choose the hottest option at Korean places all the time and no issues.

But this they weren't kidding!

Anyway, the place was packed with Korean Americans and they all heard this drama so everyone was staring.

It was really hard to eat.

I finished it and was told I was a "hero" and nobody had ever come close to finishing that way before.

I have to admit I finished it just to be macho ... it wasn't even that good, and yes I got an upset stomach.

OK, face it, I could have died!

Would never repeat that.

Check it out.

attachicon.gifdukbokki.jpg

I know the dish doesn't look that exceptionally spicy.

But trust me. OMG.

It's Duk Bokki ... Korean rice cake in a soup.

BTW, there is a place in Pattaya that specializes in it.

Haven't tried it yet.

OK, DUH to me, I just got it the OP is asking for THAI dishes. But my story is pretty good I think, so I won't delete it!

I'm also interested in the most spicy Thai dish.

I haven't really been challenged by hot and spicy Thai food except one time when a cook played a game on me when I asked for phet phet and basically served me an entire plate of prik kee nu!

That dish looks boss [emoji2]

Right across the street from me, the sign says "Hottest Dish on Earth."

Of course, to me, there is a private restaurant in the hillside of Peru.....2 clicks north of Machu Pichu.....i almost died, twice...

• Like 1

This saddens me. I lived in and around the area for 11 years, could eat most stuff. Spent a year back home, came back and now my chilli tolerance is gone :(

Not even one little green one in a pad ka pow - too hot for me :( it's pee'd me off a little bit as i love the flavour.

The Hottest Thai dish I experienced was a young lady from Issan ( Number 18 was on her little button) at a special massage place in Chiang Mai, or was it the one you encountered in Bangkok way back when? All in all a subjective question

Trouble is, the hottest Thai dishes frequently aren't too palatable over time, being stuck up on a pedestal and all, that we farang constructed, made of fragile male egos mixed with liberal doses of testosterone.. giggle.gif

Signed,

Fiery Som Tam

• Like 2

The Hottest Thai dish I experienced was a young lady from Issan ( Number 18 was on her little button) at a special massage place in Chiang Mai, or was it the one you encountered in Bangkok way back when? All in all a subjective question

Trouble is, the hottest Thai dishes frequently aren't too palatable over time, being stuck up on a pedestal and all, that we farang constructed, made of fragile male egos mixed with liberal doses of testosterone.. giggle.gif

Signed,

Fiery Som Tam

Chiang mai, Issan?

The point of this is ? There is no such thing known as "the hottest Thai dish known to man" you're just showing your lack of knowledge of Thai cuisine . What you call an "Indian" phall is actually an invention of Bangladeshi restaurants in Birmingham where they stick as much hot gound chilli powder into nondescript dishes, top it up with Scotch Bonnets or whatever and serve it to those who want to proclaim they have eaten the hottest dish that can be created..

Meaningless.

Any Thai dish can be created hot, but more often the diner can choose the extra amount of heat they wish to add to the dish by adding additional chillies. The idea is that you can get to taste the food as well as the heat. For what it's worth I doubt you would stay the course in villages in parts of Issan or the deep South but I somehow doubt that will be in your itinerary.

Thanks for that, yeah I'll really take your point on board lol

Indian food is medium hot and really doesn't come close to the spicier Thai dishes.

The hottest dish I've ever had was in, of all places, MBK about six years ago in a small buffet restaurant. It was a fish curry but there was no discernible fish. Within twenty seconds of the first spoonful I was sweating like a pedo in Mothercare. It was such a profound experience that I went back a few days later for another round.

No wonder the pot was always full as nobody ever touched it.

• Like 2

My mrs eats spicy sum tam salad (Thai papaya salad) that even the vapor from it burns my face, I once had some of it and was sh1tting out fire balls the next day

I have tried a phall and this was hotter... I think thai heat and indian heat are different though, I find thai alot more hard hitting

Just ask for 'sum tam very spicy'

Around here there is a restaurant that sells lasagne, the chef must be off his head because it is one the hottest things I have ever tried and you are given no warning.

• Like 1

My mrs eats spicy sum tam salad (Thai papaya salad) that even the vapor from it burns my face, I once had some of it and was sh1tting out fire balls the next day

I have tried a phall and this was hotter... I think thai heat and indian heat are different though, I find thai alot more hard hitting

Just ask for 'sum tam very spicy'

Around here there is a restaurant that sells lasagne, the chef must be off his head because it is one the hottest things I have ever tried and you are given no warning.

lol

I think thai heat and indian heat are different though, I find thai alot more hard hitting

They are different. Indian food is largely made with dried chillies; Thai food mostly uses fresh chillies.

The Thai region with the hottest food is the south (not including southern Moslem cuisine). There they often use both fresh and dried chillies in the same dish, so you get a double kick.

wow64 wrote: "Kua gling moo... very spicy also."

We have some pretty spicy Isaan food where we live in the northeast. I enjoy eating spicy food and my wife and her family will often put food on the table that I can eat only with massive helpings of sticky rice to moderate the heat. However.........my wife also will occasionally make kua gling moo using a recipe that she got from her friend in Surat Thani. That, undoubtedly, is the hottest, spiciest, thing I've ever tried to put in my mouth. The version my wife makes is a dry curry that has an absolutely relentless fiery effect.

Like most dishes in most countries, one particular kind of food will be prepared a bit differently from region to region, but in my personal experience the kua gling moo, as prepared in south Thailand, is the hottest thing I've ever eaten in Thailand or anywhere else.

The hottest I have ever had was actually chilli crusted duck in Manado, Indonesia....I have never found a Thai dish that comes near it in terms of heat.

I get the impression that most Thais think their food is the hottest and spiciest in the world. But they're wrong.

• Like 1