17 cab drivers penalized on first day of re-organization of Bangkok taxi service

webfact

17 cab drivers penalized on first day of re-organization of Bangkok taxi service

tme.jpg

File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK, 26 March 2015 (NNT) – 17 cab drivers were penalized on the first day of the government's drive to 're-organize' the taxi service in Bangkok.

Department of Land Transport Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra inspected the work of officials in front of Siam Paragon Department store on Wednesday, after which he disclosed that checks on taxi drivers had been carried out at four spots within Bangkok's Ratchaprasong area, namely MBK, Siam Paragon, Central World and Platinum department stores.

Ten of the 17 offending taxi drivers were fined for turning down passengers, four for not turning on the meter, two for being improperly dressed, and one for failing to pay for the annual car tax.

According to Mr. Chirute, cab drivers who are first-time offenders would be fined no more than 1,000 baht and must undergo training arranged to improve service-mindedness. Second-time offenders would have their licenses suspended for 30 days and must undergo another training. Third-time offenders would have their licenses suspended for six months and must undergo yet another training. Any driver who commits three offenses within one month will have their license revoked.

Passengers may download the "DLT Check in" application for mobile devices to rate each taxi driver's quality of service and to give their feedback for the service. The information will be sent directly to the Department of Land Transport's database so improvement to service can be made and offenders can be penalized.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-26 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If people actually do download and use the "DLT Check in" application, there's gonna be a LOT of unemployed taxi drivers very soon.

Good.

Good news. I'm sure it'll be greeted with the usual barrage of cynicism, though.

Why we not wait a week, month or year into the reorganization and see if the problem is solved?

I know the answer, because it will be identical to the Minivan clean up, motorbike taxi clean up, jetski clean up, beach vendors clean up. .............................................................................

• Like 1

I actually downloaded the app very simple to use just click picture of license plate and driver Then get in and go once at where your going type in you comment send. Also great for discount on ride. But 17 caught out what out of 20 taxies checked Guess all that writing made hands sore.

Good news. I'm sure it'll be greeted with the usual barrage of cynicism, though.

Why we not wait a week, month or year into the reorganization and see if the problem is solved?

I know the answer, because it will be identical to the Minivan clean up, motorbike taxi clean up, jetski clean up, beach vendors clean up. .............................................................................

Oh you man of little faith...................

You are right!!

• Like 2

"Passengers may download the "DLT Check in" application for mobile devices to rate each taxi driver's quality of service and to give their feedback for the service. The information will be sent directly to the Department of Land Transport's database so improvement to service can be made and offenders can be penalized."

Are you suggesting it is the hub of clean upsbiggrin.png

It is a step in the right direction but as others have said 17 drivers is hardly a victory, just yet. Go to Soi 11 on Suk or Asoke and you will get 17 every 10 minutes. A proper cash cow.

Baby steps but a step in right direction... I am an ex black cab owner in the UK and they were incredibly strict but the result of that was an efficient service, most of the time.. Keep up the pressure on these drivers and they will get the message!!

Whenever a taxi driver doesn't want to bring a customer to a certain destination he can use the excuse that the destination is too far and that he has to return the car on time to the driver of the next shift. So what can any government department do in this case? NOTHING!.... because it could be TRUE!

Sounds nice, but when I passed in front of paragon last night around 7:30, there was a really long line of people in the taxi queue and no taxis!

There seems to have been a bit of a backlash to this new "re-organisation", with quite a palpable attitude from drivers I have encountered since Tuesday, and a reluctance from drivers to stop to pick up fares. Our concierge normally provides a taxi at our condo in Sathorn within 5 minutes, but yesterday after waiting 10, I walked up the soi to Sathorn Road and found the drivers were not stopping when our security were flagging them. One immediately stopped when I flagged him. The previous day, during the heavy rain the driver was very unco-operative about going the route we wanted, but I will allow that there was flooding along Saladaeng, but his circuitous alternative route provided no relief from that, and just additional baht on the meter, (and added grumpiness and shouting, on his part).

Edited by samtam

Now this is what I call stepping up the the plate and doing something about the Taxi drivers

All along I have said the threat of a license suspension will help to curb Taxi abuse

I do not feel sorry at all about the drivers that where caught Good on you selfist %*(#@)@!

Keep up the good work Nail more of them on a Saturday Night at 1030 PM at Paragon Lots of Taxi drives not willing to pick you up then

According to Mr. Chirute, cab drivers who are first-time offenders would be fined no more than 1,000 baht and must undergo training arranged to improve service-mindedness. Second-time offenders would have their licenses suspended for 30 days and must undergo another training. Third-time offenders would have their licenses suspended for six months and must undergo yet another training. Any driver who commits three offenses within one month will have their license revoked.

Any driver who commits three offenses within one month will have their license revoked. ​That is near impossible if they are going to be suspended for 30 days for the second offence... cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Any driver who commits three offenses within one month will have their license revoked. ​That is near impossible if they are going to be suspended for 30 days for the second offence... cheesy.gif

Not near impossible, just impossible - but don't wake them up because it sounds so positive and progressive.

• Like 1

Department of Land Transport Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra inspected the work of officials !!! wai.gif

They've been working for 10-15 minutes I assume whistling.gif.

Rest of the time they were sitting somewhere inside with airconditioning drinking coffee !!!

coffee1.gif coffee1.gif coffee1.gif coffee1.gif

As a newbie I posted my comment on the wrong place.

here it is again.

I would like to see taxi drivers banned if their rear seat belts are cut off. They could easily stuff them down the seat if they hate them so much. I turn down taxis without rear seat belts.

Whenever a taxi driver doesn't want to bring a customer to a certain destination he can use the excuse that the destination is too far and that he has to return the car on time to the driver of the next shift. So what can any government department do in this case? NOTHING!.... because it could be TRUE!

This would be ridiculously simple to solve; Same as they do in Singapore.

The taxi driver puts a sign in his window that says "Changing Shift: Bedok" or wherever his depot is located.

This way he can find a fare that is going his direction, and other potential passengers realize why he cannot take them where they want to go.

• Like 2

Yes, it could be true. What they should do is ban any taxi who is unable/unwilling to accept a passenger from parking at the taxi ranks.

I accept and understand being rejected for the above reasons when flagging down a taxi, but not when they are parked at ranks. At a rank means "available", with no reasons/excuses.

They should use me as bait, I can give them 17 drivers an hour that don't turn on the meter or refuse me as customer.

If so, then do not just talk here, instead download the APP and immediately report those drivers.

this is what really helps.....