retirement extension. extend or get new visa

i'm on a retirement extension, its due for renewal in November

i'm going on holiday in vietnam in a couple of weeks then coming back, then going to the US for 6 months, back at the end of october.

do you think its better (cheaper) to get an exit retry permit or just let the visa laps and get a new one in LA before i return from the states?

2000 baht is about $62 at the moment, a new non-o is $80 right.

the only thing i'm not sure about is this '$80 for a single-entry , $200 for a multiple-entry - No single-entry for Non-Immigrant O-A Visas'

from here http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_detail.aspx?link_id=34

does that mean i can't get a single entry for $80 then get a retirement extension here? i guess it does.

'
For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”) - no single-entry Non-Immigrant O-A visas - See Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long-Stay'

but, i'm married to a Thai i assume that means i can enter on a single entry then still apply for retirement when here right?

if no, just apply for married extension which i've done before

the reason i'd like to start over is the visa i'm on now is 5 years old already and in an old passport, if its only $20 more i think i'd rather start over, but if i need a $200 visa, forget it

Edited by stevehaigh

You would have to apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. To get one for being 50 or over for retirement you would have to apply at one of the honorary consulates in person.

You can apply apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement with the non-o based upon marriage.

OA visas are only done as a multiple entry plus you need a medical and police certificates to get it.

Your visa being 5 years old makes no difference what so ever. You can continue getting extension of the entry it gave you for infinity.

Mine is almost 7 years old and in an old passport I haven't needed since I had my stamps transferred to my new one.

• Like 1

ok, thank ubonjoe,

are you sure about this 'To get one for being 50 or over for retirement you would have to apply at one of the honorary consulates in person'?

the consulate in LA USA doesn't say anything about visiting in person, i've always done it by mail before

Just remember if they change the conditions and you already hold a extention then usually you are "grandfathered" if you start again you could get caught up with any potential changes to the requirements.

LA is a official consulate. Chicago and New York are also official consulates.

The honorary consulates are listed here http://www.thaiembassydc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HCG_Jan15.pdf

ok, but i can apply to mail at the official consulate right? my US address is San Francisco

actually, i'll be in Denver area too can can apply in person easy enough there

so just to be clear, it sounds like there should be no problem me getting a single entry in the US (my wife will be with me) and then a new retirement extension when i get back right? i have to do that in november anyhow. the only issue i think is if they want to see my ticket which is a return from bangkok

Edited by stevehaigh

LA is a official consulate. Chicago and New York are also official consulates.

The honorary consulates are listed here http://www.thaiembassydc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HCG_Jan15.pdf

ok, but i can apply to mail at the official consulate right? my US address is San Francisco

actually, i'll be in Denver area too can can apply in person easy enough there

so just to be clear, it sounds like there should be no problem me getting a single entry in the US (my wife will be with me) and then a new retirement extension when i get back right? i have to do that in november anyhow. the only issue i think is if they want to see my ticket which is a return from bangkok

You can get the single entry non-o based upon marriage by mail at the LA consulate.

You can do the extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

If you have a visa you do not need a return or onward ticket.

You are still going to need a re-entry permit for your trip to Vietnam or you will only get a 30 day entry.

Each year, in that we split our time between Thailand and the U.S., I obtain a non imm o-a visa for the purpose of retirement via the Thai Consulate in LA.

I follow the requirements listed on their website and do not find it particularly difficult.

And, of course, if you obtain the non imm o-a, with a bit of planning you can get almost two years on it before needing to deal with the local immigration office.

• Like 1

thanks all. i asked the honorary consulate in denver about getting a non-O and they replied:

'Yes, we can (or even a multiple entry) one.

Let me know when you can come in so I can put your names on our calendar.
Any time pretty much and depends on the availability on M-Th mornings.
Thank you'
pretty nice reply i think.
i'll only be back in thailand for 2 weeks between vietnam and usa trips so visa on arrival will be fine
i know its cheaper to get 2 single reentry permits here but phuket immigration is a nightmare these days. i just don't want to deal with them

Could any of you knowledgable people on this forum tell me if the embassy letter for retirement finances(Brit passport)in other words the letter confirming overseas pension and investments is still valid for two years as it used to be?

As far as I know it has never been valid for 2 years.

Immigration will accept income letters that are up to 6 months old. This was made official in June of 2013 by a notice sent out by immigration headquarters to all offices.

You can get re-entry permits at the Patong immigration office.

You can also get them at Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang if you're transiting at either of those airports en route to Vietnam and the USA (assuming, of course, that you have sufficient time in between flights mindful of the need to clear Security & Immigration) - but not, I gather, at Phuket Airport