Off to riding school

Moonlover

I recently went to riding school. I didn’t need to as I have a full UK license for both car and motorcycle so obtaining my Thai licenses was a shoo in. all I had to do was the brake reaction test and the traffic light colour test.

However my wife has only ridden a motorcycle in Egypt and does not have a Thai license, so it was off to school for her and I decided to join her.

And I’m very glad that I did. I have read a lot of very confusing inputs recently on TV which clearly indicates that there is much misunderstanding here regarding traffic regulations.

Three topics in particular attracted a lot of attention recently so I thought I would share with the forum what I have learned.

Firstly lane discipline. This topic got a lot of coverage and this is the gist of it.

Motorcycles should be ridden on the left and on what we would term the ‘hard shoulder’ in UK. On some roads there are mandatory signs (Route 2 north of Udon Thani is one such). However they may be ridden in other lanes to facilitate overtaking and to turn right. Overtaking should always be on the right of the slower vehicle unless that vehicle is turning right.

In fact, other than the ‘hard shoulder’ bit it’s much the same as in the UK.

Secondly, speed limits for motorcycles.

There is no discrete speed limit for motorcycles. They are subject to the same speed limits as other road users unless there are signs to indicate otherwise. Generally, the speed for a motorcycle is the same that applies to cars and light trucks.

And finally direction of travel. In short, riding in the wrong direction on the highway is illegal and dangerous. All trainees were given strong warnings about this practice.

I am pleased to say that a: the course was very well structured and b: my wife passed with flying colours and achieved a score of 48/50 on the knowledge test so we are now both licensed to go. Overall the pass rate was about 65%.

I do hope that this is the way forward for safety on Thailand’s roads. It will not come overnight of course, but training and safety awareness are key factors in reducing the current accident and death rates.

To the OP. What's your riding experience in Thailand?

Hi Gweiloman. I'm sure you haver already detected, I'm new to riding here. But not to riding, I've been in the saddle for many years.

The reason I raised these three topics was because there had been a lot of discussion about them in recent threads. Someone even suggested that riding against the traffic flow was legal!

Have no fear, I do not intend to go racing off around Thailand thinking I know it all. If that is your concern. It is very evident that there is a lot to learn.

And you certainly won't see me pottering along on the 'hard shoulder'.

Take care and happy riding.

• Like 1

To the OP. What's your riding experience in Thailand?

Hi Gweiloman. I'm sure you haver already detected, I'm new to riding here. But not to riding, I've been in the saddle for many years.

The reason I raised these three topics was because there had been a lot of discussion about them in recent threads. Someone even suggested that riding against the traffic flow was legal!

Have no fear, I do not intend to go racing off around Thailand thinking I know it all. If that is your concern. It is very evident that there is a lot to learn.

And you certainly won't see me pottering along on the 'hard shoulder'.

Take care and happy riding.

My point is that you shouldn't take whatever they told you at the riding school as gospel. Instead, rely on your own survival instincts, such as not sticking religiously to the left lane or to speed limits and to be aware that most motorists out there have zero to little knowledge about proper driving / riding regulations. Drivers here will change lanes without indication as well as stop suddenly for no reason at all. Keep your distance from the vehicle in front (although overtaking it would be best if you can) and at the same time, be aware of tailgaters.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

My rule is to stay as far away from Thai drivers as possible. Speed and lanes are not important.

They will kill you.

Why discriminate? Stay away from ALL drivers! It's kept me alive for 50 years.

But none the less, thanks for the input.

Edited by Moonlover