Why do Thais never remove ugly stickers from new fridge, aircon etc?

Mcffee

This isn't just a Thai thing folks. It applies throughout Asia. My ex parents-in-law, who were Indian, had a microwave which was at least 10 years old. On the front was an info sticker which read 'remove before first use'.

Same applies to the fact that they never want to throw anything out, no matter how broken or useless it might be. They all seem to have this 'hording mentality'. I remember once throwing out a broken plug/socket adaptor. I found it a few days later in a drawer.

I purge the house regularly and quietly make things disappear if they're serving no useful purpose. The Tuk Tuk rubbish scavengers are very useful for this. I'm going to be in trouble one day for sure. sad.png

• Like 1

Three years ago when we bought a new refer, I immediately took the sticker off which really bothered family members. They felt that the sticker should not have been removed.

Three years later and the refer is working fine, so I guess I did not cause any permanent damage.

• Like 1

Because it give the "impression" its new, a kind of "show off" thingy is my guess.

I am afraid not, my wife is mad every times, for of course I take off those stickers, she is CONVINCE if one takes off the sticker the guarantee is lost, simple. smile.png

• Like 1

Worse than the stickers is when they never remove the protective film or plastic on furniture, the electric switches and sockets, computers TV:s AC remotes, etc . Even stores and places you believe would like to have a good image often keep the ugly half fallen off protective plastic behind the computer screen.

• Like 2

My Thai wife once got upset with me when I removed all the stickers from a new computer I had just bought.

I asked why I shouldn't remove them.

She replied that if I ever had problems with the computer they would need the info from the stickers to repair it!

I smiled.whistling.gif

I bought a computer to my (Thai) wife 3 years ago when I insisted to take off all the sticker she was "more than upset, same answer as you smile.png + Thai people don't do that!

• Like 2

They are also very hard to get off without leaving a mess.

Wet with spray gun, wait.

Gently peel the label..

Repeat.

Spray with mosquito repellent(or similar product that has an alcohol-oil base).

Rub vigorously with a cloth or nylon scrub pad

Repeat as necessary.

Takes a bit or work. Perhaps that's why so many are left attached.

whistling.gif Cultural conditioning on your part.

Why would you WANT to remove the stickers anyhow?

Because you were TAUGHT to remove them as a child back in limey land.

Question: If you had a 20 year old Rolls Royce in the U.K. would you remove the Rolls insignia from the hood/bonnet.

No, because you were TAUGHT that the insignia has prestige.... so you keep it on.

For many Thais being able to afford a new Fridge or an expensive washing machine also represents status.... to be quietly displayed ..... but not to be directly commented on (to showy if directly displayed).

To have the sticker quietly displayed to be seen, but not to be to showy is the "cool" way of letting it be known you can afford that "Farang" appliance is the correct way of displaying it in your house.

• Like 1

Yes we still have stickers are our 2 fridges 1 is 5 years old.

4 years ago we bought an automatic washing machine, after about 6 months, i asked my wife why do you not use your washing machine?

Answer i got was, if i use it it will not be new anymore !! Thai logic !!

When one is bored, many questions come to mind,,, mostly directed towards someone other than one-self!

e.g

Why should anyone remove that sticker?

Why should someone worry about some sticker on someone else's where ever?

Edit

To be honest, a new product obviously looks new.

Would a sticker make it look new?

Edited by ravip
  • Like 2

If you peel that sticker off the fridge will anyone notice? The fridge will still look like a fridge.

And may even do the job of a fridge...keep your beer cold....

Without the sticker, they might not realize it is the fridge.. and pour the beer inside the TV...

• Like 1