Why do Thais never remove ugly stickers from new fridge, aircon etc?

Mcffee

One of the many collective weirdnesses of which I never understood the logic. Even in hotel rooms (photo), upscale apartments they ALWAYS leave that ugly stickers on devices like fridges, aircons, toilets etc. Some farang psychologist here who can explain this behavior?

grand-hotel-pattaya.jpg

They do sell special sticker remover fluid, you know. I found it at Central or Tops or someplace and attacked the stickers on the toilets and appliances in our rental condo. Those stickers had to be at least 6 or 8 years old and boy-oh-boy they sure were hard to remove. That fluid did a real number on my manicure, too.

• Like 2

They are also very hard to get off without leaving a mess.

And have you know the locals here to do any hard work? My guess is the few hardworkers that there are are too tired when they get home to be bothered with stuff like removing stickers and plastics from kitchen cabinets. The others are just too lazy to contemplate it

Cos it makes it look new?

Make sme wonder..do Thai wander around into each others houses, all across Thailand to neighbours and use the "wow brand new air con/fridge/kitchen cambinets/TV/DVD" as a convo starter despite having seen the appliance daily for decades! with the response "why thank you for noticing it cost <heavily inflated price>" all while smiling to each other, and each other knowing it's a bare faced lie but just smiling happliy to each other.

Perhaps this is where they get their lieing practice in!

• Like 1

Have seen this in many houses in the US also - fridges, TVs, computer screens, trash bins, new car window stickers until yellowed...Never figured it out there either.....First thing I did was yank them off as they could cause discoloration.....

They do sell special sticker remover fluid, you know. I found it at Central or Tops or someplace and attacked the stickers on the toilets and appliances in our rental condo. Those stickers had to be at least 6 or 8 years old and boy-oh-boy they sure were hard to remove. That fluid did a real number on my manicure, too.

The sticker removal fluid in the US is called GooGone. Maybe that's the name in Thailand?

I use nail varnish remover to get stickers off. It's widely available.

Nail varnish remover is actually diluted Acetone, and isn't the best for removing glue, while at the same time damaging plastics and paint.

To remove glue residual it's better to use Turpentine or White Spirit.

• Like 1

Why do Thais never remove ugly stickers from new fridge, aircon etc?

Labels signify an appliance is new,and in the case of electrical goods,the lower the energy consumption,the more expensive the item,another aspect of "Face", same as not taking the plastic and cellophane off new furniture,that's why shops don't take off labels from goods,Thais like to see them,it improves status!