Most depressing film of all time?

I would agree with Bookman that "The Road" is hard to beat for depressing except yesterday i was flicking through the channels and i came across it dubbed in Thai and that is even more depressing..

Also 'Betty Blue' the French film about the husband watching his beautiful wife descend into mental illness and not being able to do anything about saving her I have only been able to watch it once in this lifetime.

Life is beautiful is both incredibly funny and incredibly sad. Recommended for both reasons.

Another nomination would be Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny got his gun" made in the very early seventies about a first world war soldier. It was always controversial because of it's anti war message.

Toy Soldiers - fairly new release

Tusk-I think this was released in 2014 - not only depressing but psycho weird. Why would someone want to spend all that money producing a movie like this ?

and yes, "Johnny Got His Gun". It was banned shortly after its release where I lived in California during the Vietnam war. For good reason. Less than half way through the movie I saw lots of U.S. marines get up and walk out of the theater. I think it was too scary for them to see as they were soon to be shipped off to fight in Vietnam.

I have to go with the road,but also the Culpepper cattle co,as most everyone get's killed in the final shootout for nothing really,but the road was one bleak scene to another,and for me show's we really are only one step beyond the beasts of the field,take away are props we are the same or worse.

• Like 1

You can also try "La Grande Bouffe" (in English "Blow Out"

The film tells the story of four friends who gather in a villa for the weekend with the express purpose of eating themselves to death