Final clause of Thai charter lets junta off hook for coup

webfact

Final clause of charter lets junta off hook for coup
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) yesterday spent only 30 seconds deliberating the last clause of the draft constitution that would in effect grant amnesty to the junta for its involvement in the coup last May.

Article 315 of the draft charter states that any act recognised by the post-coup provisional charter as lawful and constitutional should also be considered the same way under the new constitution.

This clause is based on Article 309 - the last month - of the Constitution of 2007, which was abolished after the military seized power and set up the National Council for Peace and Order.

Meeting at Parliament, the constitution drafters approved the clause without detailed debate. Some CDC members had earlier commented publicly that they would suggest revising the clause, particularly the part that cites the previous Constitution of 2007.

Article 309 states: "All acts recognised in the interim constitution of 2006 as lawful and constitutional, including acts incidental thereto whether performed prior to or subsequent to the date of the promulgation of this Constitution, shall be deemed constitutional under this Constitution."

Meanwhile, Thienchay Kirananda, president of the National Reform Council, said yesterday that the NRC would not endorse the draft constitution if there were any "blemish" considered unacceptable to the public. When asked to define "blemish", he said that would be identified by the public.

Thienchay said the NRC might debate whether there should be a national referendum on the new constitution. He added, however, that the council would take three or four months deliberating the draft charter and he thought a referendum might be considered unnecessary eventually.

In a related development, the NRC's committee on political reform yesterday began a two-day seminar to decide what issues it will raise at its meeting on the draft constitution next month.

Nirun Pantarakit, a committee member, said the panel members would focus on six areas - the electoral system, the selection of senators, the administration, the Parliament, the political parties, and the new organisations to be set up under the new constitution.

Meanwhile, former Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanit called for a live broadcast of the NRC meeting on the draft constitution. He said such a broadcast would allow the public to learn about the content of the new charter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Final-clause-of-charter-lets-junta-off-hook-for-co-30256842.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-27

Meanwhile, Thienchay Kirananda, president of the National Reform Council, said yesterday that the NRC would not endorse the draft constitution if there were any "blemish" considered unacceptable to the public. When asked to define "blemish", he said that would be identified by the public.

When and how long is "the public" going to scrutinize the draft? Who exactly is "the public" and what are their qualifications? Will "the public" go over the draft publicly, or privately? And what happens if 'the public' finds a pimple on the constitution, who gets to squeeze it, if at all?

• Like 1

What did the Junta really do? no one was killed ... no bullets fired

Did they really do anything wrong?

They only stepped in to preserve the peace

So a few people got detained or tortured, this can happen anywhere

They should each be given large bonuses just like PT gave themselves for the rice scheme

"Did they really do anything wrong?" Just a little - what the Generals did was unlawful and against the Constitution of which they had a hand in writing.

It's not the worst case scenario - Prayuth as PM is more palatable than Suthep as PM.

They should each be given large bonuses just like PT gave themselves for the rice scheme

"So a few people got detained or tortured, this can happen anywhere"

crazy.gif

They have no problems granting themselves amnesty. But God forbid that anyone else gets its. Where is Suthep now. Why isn't he protesting this amnesty. Oh, I forgot he hiding behind a orange robe.

Bob... get a life..! I have lived here almost 13 years and have Never seen Thai people so happy.... open your eyes... Thaksin has gone... get over it..!!! And as you and I are Farang, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with us... Next ! wai2.gif

"Never seen Thai people so happy."

How exactly did you arrive at this judgement?

• Like 1

You should read some thais news, foreign news and listen to the stories about political opponents to the coup as well as students...no bullet fired? not sure...people disappearing in the wild after an army visit...sure....

They don t preserve peace, the steal it

aaacorp....... if you don't like it.... there's the door.....!!! whistling.gif

Backseeda, i don't like it and i say it...you must be american with such answer : "if you don't like it go home!"

No i don't like it, i don t like seeing a country being stumpled by a Junta which has aboslutly no clue about politic, economy and just change the corruption destination for their own pocket.

And of course i would be happy to raise a specific finger in your direction, but the mod will again complain i m too enthousiast for people like you...

In fact i would be happy to applaud the students who raise their voice against Prayout...will you tell them to go away of their country as well?

What poll do you use to see how thai people are happy? the one ordered by the Junta?

Or maybe you ignore the fact than even the Democrat now complain about Prayout Attitude

So everybody is happy right? but not the media, not the student, not both political parties, not the economy...lot of complains but you ignore this...maybe it's because you live in the rural Isaan and don't see what happen daily here while you go fishing in the mekong, baksida....

They have no problems granting themselves amnesty. But God forbid that anyone else gets its. Where is Suthep now. Why isn't he protesting this amnesty. Oh, I forgot he hiding behind a orange robe.

Bob... get a life..! I have lived here almost 13 years and have Never seen Thai people so happy.... open your eyes... Thaksin has gone... get over it..!!! And as you and I are Farang, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with us... Next ! wai2.gif

That's a very bold statement mate, whilst I've only lived here 3 years I haven't noticed ANY difference in the overall happiness of the people I see now, compared to last year compared to the year before, they were the same happy people now as they are were then.

I mean seriously, did you honestly detect abject misery and emotional imbalances, huge rises in cases of depression during the last year, compared to present day? Every where I've traveled within Thailand over the last 3 years, it's been indifferent.

What's your benchmark for gauging happiness ?

That's a very bold statement mate, whilst I've only lived here 3 years I haven't noticed ANY difference in the overall happiness of the people I see now, compared to last year compared to the year before, they were the same happy people now as they are were then.

I mean seriously, did you honestly detect abject misery and emotional imbalances, huge rises in cases of depression during the last year, compared to present day? Every where I've traveled within Thailand over the last 3 years, it's been indifferent.

What's your benchmark for gauging happiness ?

ignore his rantings...he just read the polls issued by the junta and believe 98% of the thai people praise Prayout

The 2 percent are only : the media, the students, the political parties (with an S), the business, the trade markets, the export, the people living from tourism business

So there's nothing really wrong in detaining or torturing a few people?

It hasn't been proved that they were tortured!!

It is only in the Human right's watch minds. Don't you find it strange that the alleged torture only comes to light ONCE they poke their noses in and interfere.

If you really want to enquire about the rights and wrongs of torture then ask the experts (where it was proved) to have occurred!!!

If you really want to get into it - The government of Thailand has the right to hold someone for 1 week without charges being laid. These same human rights abusers who torture people are allowed to hold people in totally inhumane conditions (without charges) for OVER A DECADE.

It's a shame that a democratic nation can carry out such abuses with impunity!! I am surprised that China hasn't complained to the UN about these serial abusers that incarcerate people, put them through hell even though they have not been allowed a fair trial (sorry, I mean a trial) and then have the audacity to tell China to improve their human rights record!! Furthermore, they chastise Thailand for creating peace and stability when it seems they preferred 'war on the streets' under the banner of 'they were elected by democratic means' and so even though they were abusing democracy and encouraging the killing of protesters they were preferable to a government that holds the peoples interests foremost on the premiss that they attained power through undemocratic means.

It hasn't been proved Prayout is not mentally disturbed, don't you think strange he act like this in front of media.

Human Right Watch is not a commercial company which make more money once they find human right abuses.

What you say is the same crap used by China and Human Right abusers,,,

I've never heard the US put forward this side of the argument before.

Do you seriously think that the police/army dare torture people after the flak they got from Koh Tao (this is also unproved by the way).

Show me a single case where torture has unquestionably been administered beyond all doubt by the RTP. Slapping people around the face and photo's of someone with a minor bruise on their body does not constitute torture in my eyes - incidences such as constant water boarding and sleep deprivation does.

So from your point of view : Human Righ Watch lies, The Thai Police is a perfect exemple of polite, correct and not corrupted and of course all the people who said they were tortured or wtinessed tortures are liars...

Without the release of videos and pictures we could also said Guantanamo was a holiday camp...

Why Human Right Watch would lie? give me a reason why this organization would lie about this or report lies, having the risk to lose much more than face....on the opposite side we have the RTP which is assimilated to a mafia organization by some countries....which side to believe...mmmm...i have made my choice