Prayut to enact new NCPO announcement to replace martial law enforcement

Lite Beer

>>Prayut said the Cabinet did not discuss the lifting of martial law during its meeting at the Hua Hin Cabinet retreat Friday because the issue is under his authority as the NCPO chief.<<

Why waste time and taxpayer money on playing democracy??

Prayut is clearly aiming at absolute power!!

Why not ask Obama this same question?

What nonsense all Thais in the last 60 years have some form of education and certainly the under 35's have a decent education!

Which is in direct contrast to all those who made the claims that Thais lacked education to be able to vote properly!!

Based on who's standards? Whilst their Educational standards may not be on par with our superior Western Intellect (intended Sarascm), they have the ability to think for themselves when they want.

Why keep having a go at the poor standard of Thai education, when there are as many problems with education in our own Western Countries, poor grammar, Christ, all you need to do is look at some of the posters here, and see that Education and lack of it isn't a Thai monopoly.

People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, if you thought the Thai's Education was "poor" try working with Arabs where they can't even write their own names!!

The Education system may well indeed be below Western averages, but it sure isn't the worst, it's a poor excuse by Farangs to keep stating Thai's lack the education to be able to vote properly, or to have some form of democracy.

• Like 1

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

there is a bigger picture here and most don't see it yet

dont think the obvious

as this is all mis direction away from the bigger picture

Au contraire Jack, I reckon most of the more moderate debaters on either side know exactly the big picture that you speak of. But since we can't talk about it, we will prattle on and debate the peripheral stuff... while we still can.

• Like 1

But I understand that (the majority of) Thais have NEVER been educated, taught to question and even reason.

They have NEVER been educated !!! I wonder why, I dont think it was because of the lack of money but the decisions of where it was important to spend that money and for what reasons....

What nonsense all Thais in the last 60 years have some form of education and certainly the under 35's have a decent education!

You think? I had a GF that was certainly not stupid and she didnt even know we had landed on the moon until we looked at it through a telescope I dont think she even realised what it was. I had to show her Appolo 13 and tell her this really happened. Until then the moon was for knowing when to plant the rice.

How can an education system that does not encourage questioning and passes everyone as long as you attend the exam at the end of the year be deemed a decent education?

I have had ladies working for be with Bachelors in various fields and their education was not up to my 1975 high school education, but then I try never to stop learning and question / analyze why and how, something that is sadly lacking in the majority of Thai society!!

As I stated previously 2000 schools in Thailand have no electricity, so computers are not going to be much good are they? How many children does this affect?

I think the key to your statement is ¨some form of education¨, that doesn´t make it a proper or decent education does it (or even an education at all).

When the current PM states that he couldn´t do a primary schooler´s homework as it was too difficult, that is a worry !!!

Amen! My wife's good friend is the head English teacher at the local gov't school. Know what she can say to me? BYE BYE! I've also spent some good money sending a niece to private school primarily for the language opportunity. 4 years later as a 10 year old she cannot even say BYE BYE! The education system here sucks and it is by design. How can you have an elite society without the peons?

That's your mistake.. Private school.. The best Thai English teachers are at government schools!

>>Prayut said the Cabinet did not discuss the lifting of martial law during its meeting at the Hua Hin Cabinet retreat Friday because the issue is under his authority as the NCPO chief.<<

Why not ask Obama this same question?

Ummm, maybe because Obama is not the head honcho of Thailand.

• Like 1

Which is in direct contrast to all those who made the claims that Thais lacked education to be able to vote properly!!

Based on who's standards? Whilst their Educational standards may not be on par with our superior Western Intellect (intended Sarascm), they have the ability to think for themselves when they want.

Why keep having a go at the poor standard of Thai education, when there are as many problems with education in our own Western Countries, poor grammar, Christ, all you need to do is look at some of the posters here, and see that Education and lack of it isn't a Thai monopoly.

People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, if you thought the Thai's Education was "poor" try working with Arabs where they can't even write their own names!!

The Education system may well indeed be below Western averages, but it sure isn't the worst, it's a poor excuse by Farangs to keep stating Thai's lack the education to be able to vote properly, or to have some form of democracy.

Has anyone asked if Thais ACTUALLY WANT democracy?

What is democracy, is it the mayhem of America's governmental system! Is it the UK's system or Germany's. All different forms. Are Malaysia or Singapore democratic? For that matter Cambodia have elections is Cambodia a democratic country?

• Like 2

Simply complying with the current laws of the land would be a good start in reducing and sorting out the country's immediate problems.

The problem is one of education, attitude and culture. Without the rule of law there is no democracy. How can you expect there to be any kind of recognition of the law when the people here break the laws at every twist and turn?

You see the problem as those infernal, uneducated people repeatedly breaking the law.

I see it as the infernal RTP consistently not enforcing the law... and being allowed to.

• Like 1

Simply complying with the current laws of the land would be a good start in reducing and sorting out the country's immediate problems.

The problem is one of education, attitude and culture. Without the rule of law there is no democracy. How can you expect there to be any kind of recognition of the law when the people here break the laws at every twist and turn?

Democracies in the west evolved within a strong system of law, a system which had been in place for hundreds of years before free elections. This is not happening in many young countries such as Thailand, there is no strong legal system, so there can never be the same kind of movement towards democracy many are hoping for.

You are absolutely correct to say that " Without the rule of law there is no democracy" I just wish those ranting on here for democracy understood such a simple thing.

• Like 1

.......and I trust that you will credit me if it is not used ie: over and above the powers he holds with marshal law and if the ensuing peace is kept.

If you're going to keep using it, you might as well learn to spell it. The word you're looking for is 'martial'.

I disagree, because a good education teaches someone to think for themselves, not just acept what you are being told as fact. When I was at high school my favourite game was proving the teacher wrong, not blindly being quiet so that no one looses face. If I didn´t show up for school I would be punished, if I didn´t pass the exam and have enough in class papers submitted I failed. Granted it is a throw back from the culture but if this country is to move forward it needs to be changed and the classroom is the only place to do it.

Are you genuinely suggesting that the ONLY thing a Thai needs to know about the moon is it tells you when to plant the rice? That is something I would expect from the elite here...

The last thing Thailand needs under the current guise is up to 18,000,000 children with a higher degree of education that allows them to be creative thinkers, and know when a turd stinks and when it doesn't.

When you reform the education system to "ommit" periods of Thai History , and certain figures from within that period, you're not educating, you're "conditioning".

Reforming the Education system to be more "militarised" again, you're not educating, you're conditioning.

Education must be allowed to have open access to the rest of the world, zero restrictions, it's the only way to be educated is by being allowed to learn, otherwise it's simply indoctrination and feeding the future with what YOU want them to know.

Education=Control

Thailand currently does have open access to the world via the internet. Problem is the vast majority of students in Thailand (and world wide) don't really give a rats arse. They think it doesn't concern them! Students from the last 10 years have started being more creative in their thinking but honestly the general apathy in Thailand runs through all generations. They just want things running and operating as they should. Electric, water the things to ensure everyday life.. Everything else is somebody else's problem!

That's a good point,.... Comfort, chit chatting and complacency, the Thai way of social media among Generation Y Thailand,...

You think? I had a GF that was certainly not stupid and she didnt even know we had landed on the moon until we looked at it through a telescope I dont think she even realised what it was. I had to show her Appolo 13 and tell her this really happened. Until then the moon was for knowing when to plant the rice.

How can an education system that does not encourage questioning and passes everyone as long as you attend the exam at the end of the year be deemed a decent education?

I have had ladies working for be with Bachelors in various fields and their education was not up to my 1975 high school education, but then I try never to stop learning and question / analyze why and how, something that is sadly lacking in the majority of Thai society!!

As I stated previously 2000 schools in Thailand have no electricity, so computers are not going to be much good are they? How many children does this affect?

I think the key to your statement is ¨some form of education¨, that doesn´t make it a proper or decent education does it (or even an education at all).

When the current PM states that he couldn´t do a primary schooler´s homework as it was too difficult, that is a worry !!!

Amen! My wife's good friend is the head English teacher at the local gov't school. Know what she can say to me? BYE BYE! I've also spent some good money sending a niece to private school primarily for the language opportunity. 4 years later as a 10 year old she cannot even say BYE BYE! The education system here sucks and it is by design. How can you have an elite society without the peons?

That's your mistake.. Private school.. The best Thai English teachers are at government schools!

Doesn´t say much if that is the case, my ex GF´s sisters (goverment high school) English teacher could not converse with me 1 iota. At least you tried captnhoy !!!

The last thing Thailand needs under the current guise is up to 18,000,000 children with a higher degree of education that allows them to be creative thinkers, and know when a turd stinks and when it doesn't.

When you reform the education system to "ommit" periods of Thai History , and certain figures from within that period, you're not educating, you're "conditioning".

Reforming the Education system to be more "militarised" again, you're not educating, you're conditioning.

Education must be allowed to have open access to the rest of the world, zero restrictions, it's the only way to be educated is by being allowed to learn, otherwise it's simply indoctrination and feeding the future with what YOU want them to know.

Education=Control

It can and in the beginning it usually is. However the more education the more free thinking people become. I have noticed a HUGE change in the attitudes and thoughts / reasoning with Chinese technicians I have dealt with in the last 12 months to the ones I was dealing with 10 years ago, and it is simply because they are more educated. They are reading things on the Internet that are banned by their government, and making decisions based on what they are reading. 10 years ago they could hardly speak English let alone read it. Now they have to learn it in order to trade with the rest of the world!!

• Like 1

Democracies in the west evolved within a strong system of law, a system which had been in place for hundreds of years before free elections. This is not happening in many young countries such as Thailand, there is no strong legal system, so there can never be the same kind of movement towards democracy many are hoping for.

You are absolutely correct to say that " Without the rule of law there is no democracy" I just wish those ranting on here for democracy understood such a simple thing.

And how do you think we should achieve this strong system of law? Maybe by changing peoples attitudes and morals with education which teaches them to think for themselves and not parrot like rhetoric rammed down their throats. Education should be fun, people should want to go to school and learn. To achieve this they must be taught to think for themselves...

I've worked at tertiary level education in both Thailand and Arabia, and in my experience the Arabs are miles ahead of the Thais in both in their general breadth of knowledge and in their ability to think and perceive hypothetically.

Not that I'm knocking democracy in Thailand btw. There's a north east Scottish saying, 'Let the laddie play with the knife, he'll learn!', and unfortunately there will inevitably be some pain to be undergone before Thailand develops a sufficient level of political sophistication not to elect populist rogues offering the moon. But the pain, even if severe, would be offset to progress and the eventual establishment of a viable long-term political system. This constant reversion to martial law every time things look rocky does nothing but perpetuate a proven vicious cycle. It's very sad, really it is.

• Like 1

Better than Thaksin and his family the 100% Mafia of the country

.......and I trust that you will credit me if it is not used ie: over and above the powers he holds with marshal law and if the ensuing peace is kept.

If you're going to keep using it, you might as well learn to spell it. The word you're looking for is 'martial'.

The irony is that we're also discussing that Education is the key to change within Thailand too 5555