Low on water in well (Thalang)

nisims

Only months of rain can raise the well level. Get a tank and run the roof drains into it. I have a 25,000 litre underground tank that's fed by the roof drains and every monsoon season fills it and them some. Haven't needed a water truck once this year as the well is still drawing water.

cheers I will look into it, just been using water freely for months just thought it filled itself up when raining and a top up maybe needed in dry season, not noticed it being so low before.

Edited by nisims

OP, how deep is your well? Is it a simple concrete rings well or a PVC pipe deep well?

Solution suggested by Hansgruber is interesting, and besides that you could deepen the well, or make a new well which is deeper.

Edited by keestha

Nah! Forget surface tanks and all those expensive solutions.

Pump it dry, get a couple of your local, keen, well diggers (every Thai village has them!) to dig it deeper (They'll clean out all the mud and junk in the bottom while they are at it), lengthen the pvc pipe into the well, and bingo! you have more water. Just remember to fill all the containers you have with the pumped out water because it will take a few hours for the well to refill.

I've done it twice - cost me 200B per time (Stupid Bangkok rules on minimum wages are ignored here in the boonies.)

its a concrete ring with pvc pipes seems very deep could prob do with a clean too, getting anything done at a good price hard in phuket

OP, how deep is your well? Is it a simple concrete rings well or a PVC pipe deep well?

Solution suggested by Hansgruber is interesting, and besides that you could deepen the well, or make a new well which is deeper.

its a concrete ring with pvc pipes seems very deep could prob do with a clean too, getting anything done at a good price hard in phuket

Happened to me about four years ago, and yes, the solution was to dig deeper.

Pump it dry, get a couple of your local, keen, well diggers (every Thai village has them!) to dig it deeper (They'll clean out all the mud and junk in the bottom while they are at it), lengthen the pvc pipe into the well, and bingo! you have more water. Just remember to fill all the containers you have with the pumped out water because it will take a few hours for the well to refill.

I've done it twice - cost me 200B per time (Stupid Bangkok rules on minimum wages are ignored here in the boonies.)

What sort of well can be dug by hand? My bored well goes to 65 metres depth and it's still drawing water.

I suggest building a concrete storage tank underground and run all the drains to the tank, even the well pumps into it when I switch it on. I have never ran out of water again and don't need to rely on the overpriced water trucks again.

I just checked it and I'm at about half a tank so about 12-13 thousand litres left and it was all from the rain last season. Just drop one slow release chlorine tablet into it once and a while.

What sort of well can be dug by hand? My bored well goes to 65 metres depth and it's still drawing water.

I suggest building a concrete storage tank underground and run all the drains to the tank, even the well pumps into it when I switch it on. I have never ran out of water again and don't need to rely on the overpriced water trucks again.

I just checked it and I'm at about half a tank so about 12-13 thousand litres left and it was all from the rain last season. Just drop one slow release chlorine tablet into it once and a while.

Q."What sort of well can be dug by hand"?

A. The sort of well made using concrete rings which are all dug by hand. facepalm.gif I hope this helps.

A. The sort of well made using concrete rings which are all dug by hand. facepalm.gif I hope this helps.

What depth are we talking? 5 metres? depending on where you are there isn't much of anything at that depth. I'd bore hole instead of using that method.

What depth are we talking? 5 metres? depending on where you are there isn't much of anything at that depth. I'd bore hole instead of using that method.

mine is 12m and so far the water is ok but its freekin dry out there, i am worried about what will happen in a month of so if it doesn't start to rain

i'd go deeper if i could be i does get quite difficult, more rocks lower down i guess

The 12-meter well at one of my hotels in Thalang has run dry, (for the first time ever). I'm taking water from an old well at my other hotel opposite which is at the bottom of a hill slope, so is still full of water, (even though it is only about 3 meters in depth).

I can't see the water table situation improving - I'm better off getting a deep borehole excavated.

Making a deep well they keep drilling till they hit a layer of rock. Mine is 19 meters, my neighbors were luckier, got to 26 meters.

Even though the deep well drillers have a special machine (I think like a sonar type device) to detect water I generally see them just using divining rods. One company I know will quote to include drilling, pipework, pump, control box, obtain license. There may be some of you who do not have a license but it is the law & they will not grant a license if you have government water available.

Not only do you have to have a license for a deep bore, you have to fill out how many litres you use every month to some government department.

After five years of having a deep bore (63m), some bloke shows up at the house and asks why we have never done the monthly reporting (we didn't know we had to).

To cut a long story short, we were fined 20,000 Bt and now report every month religiously. We don't get charged for the water, we just have to report usage.

Here is the form we fill in.

water form.pdf

Edited by KarenBravo

Most interesting!!

Just moved into a 'new' house. We have a 'concrete rings' well. Never had a well before.

Well, I thought, "Great! Free unlimited water!" ................... until I left the hosepipe on too long, topping up the swimming pool.

Suddenly there was no water to the house, even with the hosepipe off.

Cue: rapid coming up to speed about well pumps and priming.

I'd sucked the well dry and lost prime.

The water's fine now. Just topped up the swimming pool and no problem.

I guess this is what happens after a long period without rain. All should be fine once the Monsoon comes??

biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to get two water truck companies to fill my tanks. Both said they could not climb the hill to my house.

Then visited the Paklok Obortor and got a very friendly and good response. The officials filled up an form and said that they will deliver water to me, for free, in the next couple of days as they do this for service for local residents.

I'll wait and see. My water is running really low now.

I tried to get two water truck companies to fill my tanks. Both said they could not climb the hill to my house.

Then visited the Paklok Obortor and got a very friendly and good response. The officials filled up an form and said that they will deliver water to me, for free, in the next couple of days as they do this for service for local residents.

I'll wait and see. My water is running really low now.

In Maikhaw they deliver also every 2-3 days water for free in the dry months when there is no tap water.

At the house in Paklok we have maximum full water pressure only with tap water so no need for use of our tank.

Some kilometers seems to make a difference.