Best Lead Singers, Members of a Band.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one so far has mentioned Jim Morrison of The Doors - unbelievable exclusion!

You forgot too....?..............rolleyes.gif

Yip - People are Strange (especially when you're a Stranger)

My apologies to Banock - missed his post mentioning The Doors. No apologies to The Appletons tho - surprised he didn't mention that Carpenter chick!

No one so far has mentioned Jim Morrison of The Doors - unbelievable exclusion!

You forgot too....?..............rolleyes.gif

Yip - People are Strange (especially when you're a Stranger)

My apologies to Banock - missed his post mentioning The Doors. No apologies to The Appletons tho - surprised he didn't mention that Carpenter chick!

"The Lizard King" sounds like a guy who's had one too many drinks at a bad karaoke night.

"Morrison is routinely regaled as a generational spokesman, the supreme rock frontman who had one foot in this world and his cock in the next. But for all his shamanistic posturing, Morrison sang in an exaggerated croon modeled on Elvis and Sinatra. Never quite confident in his own vocal talents, he was smart to aim high, but that approach tends to flatten even the horniest tunes into tepid lounge rock. It’s not hard to imagine Tom Jones covering “Touch Me” or Sinatra singing “Light My Fire” at the Sands. And when the Lizard King took on John Lee Hooker’s “Crawling King Snake,” he set the blues back further...."

http://www.nerve.com/music/the-doors-suck-point-counterpoint

"The Lizard King" sounds like a guy who's had one too many drinks at a bad karaoke night.

"Morrison is routinely regaled as a generational spokesman, the supreme rock frontman who had one foot in this world and his cock in the next. But for all his shamanistic posturing, Morrison sang in an exaggerated croon modeled on Elvis and Sinatra. Never quite confident in his own vocal talents, he was smart to aim high, but that approach tends to flatten even the horniest tunes into tepid lounge rock. It’s not hard to imagine Tom Jones covering “Touch Me” or Sinatra singing “Light My Fire” at the Sands. And when the Lizard King took on John Lee Hooker’s “Crawling King Snake,” he set the blues back further...."

http://www.nerve.com/music/the-doors-suck-point-counterpoint

If Morrison has been put on a pedestal, then I agree with the article in that he doesn't belong there. But to say he sounds like a drunk on a bad karaoke night is taking it a bit far. I don't think he deserves either the huge amount criticisms or the praises that is awarded to him - he was simply the front-man/singer/songwriter of a great 60's rock band. The sixties was a world-changing era in so many different ways and the music of the time was its epitome. Morrison, for sure, was a huge part of that - as were many of the other die-youngs of the time. I wish I had been around then!

Like 'em or hate'em, but Bono (U2) used to be one of the most charismatic frontmen I have seen ...EVER!

...and don't forget the leader of the fantastic E-Street Band, The Boss....Mr. Bruce Springsteen!

• 2 weeks later...