Singapore urges restraint as Lee mourners queue for 10 hours

Lite Beer

Singapore urges restraint as Lee mourners queue for 10 hours
JEANETTE TAN, Associated Press

SINGAPORE (AP) — Singaporeans hoping for a glimpse of long-time leader Lee Kuan Yew's coffin are being urged to stay away from the sprawling queue as waiting times reach 10 hours.

The government said Friday that it "strongly advises" the public not to join the queue and to instead visit community tribute sites set up across the island.

Lee's death at age 91 on Monday has been met with an outpouring of grief in Singapore. Lee was Singapore's prime minister for 31 years, ruling with an iron grip until 1990 and is regarded by Singaporeans as the architect of the country's economic success.

As of late morning Friday, some 230,000 people had viewed Lee's coffin at Parliament House, the government said. The queue of several kilometers starts at the Padang, an open field in Singapore's downtown, crosses a park and snakes along the Singapore River to Parliament House.

Dozens of tents have been erected in the Padang to shelter mourners from the tropical sun and government workers handed out water to people in the long lines.

"I'm not afraid to wait," said 44-year-old Idy Leong. "Even waiting for 8 hours, I'll still want to wait. Ten hours, I'll also want to wait," she said.

Though credited with building the foundations of Singapore's current prosperity, Lee's legacy also includes a muzzled press, restrictions on free speech and a stunted democracy.

A slew of foreign leaders and dignitaries are expected at Lee's funeral on Sunday including Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and former President Bill Clinton.

The cortege will take a 15-kilometre journey around key landmarks in the city before reaching the National University of Singapore for the funeral service.

___

Yves Dam Van contributed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-29

Singapore honours Lee with grand state funeral

SINGAPORE (AFP) - Thousands of people braved heavy rains Sunday to line major streets in Singapore for a final farewell to founding leader Lee Kuan Yew, who will receive a rare 21-gun salute before a state funeral attended by world dignitaries.

Officials said more than 450,000 people had paid their last respects to the 91-year-old, who served as prime minister for 31 years, before his public wake ended in parliament on Saturday night.

"It has been a deeply moving experience," his son, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, said in a Facebook post thanking the public for honouring the former leader, who died Monday after seven weeks in hospital.

Families turned up early to catch choice spots along the 15-kilometre (10-mile) procession route from parliament to the National University of Singapore, where the state funeral will start at 2:00 pm (0600 GMT).

"We are here today as a family to witness this historic moment. As Singaporeans we may have our differences, but when it comes to a crunch we stand together. That is what Singapore is about and that is Mr Lee’s legacy," said teacher Joel Lim, 35.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Singapore-honours-Lee-with-grand-state-funeral-30256980.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-29

I had a chance to look Channel News Asia and this propaganda channel broadcasted none-stop when Uncle Harry's expired.

Now they ask Singaporeans to slow down after they have been shown nonestop on any channels within the Republic that Harry was special.

I personally liked LKY but the way they blow up the case in Singapore is just like Jesus just departed from Singapore.

I had a chance to look Channel News Asia and this propaganda channel broadcasted none-stop when Uncle Harry's expired.

Now they ask Singaporeans to slow down after they have been shown nonestop on any channels within the Republic that Harry was special.

I personally liked LKY but the way they blow up the case in Singapore is just like Jesus just departed from Singapore.

Are you on something????