Ideas for songkran escape.

infinity11

Stay home and sort out your sock drawer and that space in the cabinet under the kitchen sink that you haven't touched in years. Have a drink or two from what you stockpiled in anticipation of Songkran. Read a book. Download a movie. Weed the garden or re-pot some plants on the balcony, Have another drink or two. Take a nap. You deserve it. Cook something complicated while having a drink or two. Coerce the cat into eating some of what you just cooked. Offer it a drink. Put the rest of what you cooked in the bin and try something simpler.

Take the car (after you slept off the drinks or two) or ask a friend with a car to take you to one of the malls with enclosed parking. Have a meal. Buy something with money you saved by not leaving the country.

options April 11-19 escape

The serious chaos only lasts a couple of days if you avoid the touristy places where most of it is caused by drunken farang.

Pretty much what i do here on Phuket for the one or two days of the holiday. When I first came here twelve years ago it was mayhem for five days. Much better now with only one day and designated areas.

I must admit I haven't yet had the experience of being in Thailand for the songkran festival, so this will be my first.

I don't understand why so many want to escape this traditional festival?

Do you feel to old for a bit of fun, or lack a sense of humour? Curious!

I'm up for it, armed and ready with a bag of flour and a plentiful supply of 'water bombs'. (Balloons filled with water).

whistling.gif I would never be caught dead in Pattaya anyhow. But to answer the main question ... I am going to Malaysia for a week... Penang, and will be sitting around a pool there

Do you know the old English word DIEGHT..... pronounced with a long I sound as in die .......

Basically it means to fornicate.

That's what I say about songkran .....dieght thyself songkran.

I'm going to Cambodia...flights and hotels are still cheap...I booked yesterday

Yes, no water fights in Phnom Penh. Not much of anything else either as the city pretty much closes down over Songkran. You can survive, however. There will be the odd bar and restaurant open.

You know this from experience? It sounds like I am going to have a boring trip then. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, no water fights in Phnom Penh. Not much of anything else either as the city pretty much closes down over Songkran. You can survive, however. There will be the odd bar and restaurant open.

You know this from experience? It sounds like I am going to have a boring trip then. Has anyone else experienced this?

It depends what interests you. All the tourist attractions will be open (I think) and enough very good restaurants will also be open to satisfy you for a few days, but the nightlife will be reduced to near zero.

whistling.gif I would never be caught dead in Pattaya anyhow. But to answer the main question ... I am going to Malaysia for a week... Penang, and will be sitting around a pool there

Do you know the old English word DIEGHT..... pronounced with a long I sound as in die .......

Basically it means to fornicate.

That's what I say about songkran .....dieght thyself songkran.

Yes, Penang is a good option, as is Langkawi nearby, which has the advantage of being directly linked with Satun and is a duty free island.

Have also made Songkhran escapes to Siem Reap and Burma in the past, though the latter was a long time ago (1999?), so is probably not quite as sedate as it once was. Back then, there was plenty of water throwing on certain streets in Mandalay and Rangoon, but it was well organised and not ubiquitous and random ambushes over days, like in Thailand.

In fact, any of the neighbours offer more civilized options to LOS during the Songkhran silly season. wink.png

It depends what interests you. All the tourist attractions will be open (I think) and enough very good restaurants will also be open to satisfy you for a few days, but the nightlife will be reduced to near zero.

I'm going with a few friends and plan on going to bars and clubs. Will those venues still be open? Have you experienced this first hand?

I'm going with a few friends and plan on going to bars and clubs. Will those venues still be open? Have you experienced this first hand?

Yes, I speak from first hand experience. You can go to the main bar areas (st 104, 136, 51) and look around.The odd bar will be open but none well staffed. Each night will be different, some bars will only close for one night, some for two, some for three etc. I know that Shanghai on st 51 will remain open every day. For clubs, you should find Pontoon and Heart of Darkness open (st 51) and Darlin Darlin at Nagaworld (expensive). Be sure to visit again at any other time, PP is great for bars normally!

• 10 months later...

Vietnam....you wont be dissapointed.

I want to visit there as well...any recommendations?

Know that you need to apply for a letter - in advance of departure - that gives you permission to obtain a visa on arrival.

Not necessarily. They changed the visa rules recently. Holders of passports from 23 countries now get a visa exemption for 15 or 30 days depending on country of origin.

Anyone has been to Ko Chang (Andaman Sea) or Ko Phayam during Songkran (or in general)?

How about Malaysia, I assume they don't celebrate?

Went to Malaysia last year. No Songkran celebration.

I will planing for Malaysia. GF also prefer it.

How about Langkawi, will it be busy during Songkran with Thai tourists or just as usual?

Anyone has been to Ko Chang (Andaman Sea) or Ko Phayam during Songkran (or in general)?

How about Malaysia, I assume they don't celebrate?

Went to Malaysia last year. No Songkran celebration.

I will planing for Malaysia. GF also prefer it.

How about Langkawi, will it be busy during Songkran with Thai tourists or just as usual?

Started in KUL last year during Songkran then went to Langkawi. Langkawi was a virtual ghost town...and that wasn't a bad thing, actually. We were there to get away from the crowds and we did.

Food in Langkawi....meh.