Rag picker wins praises from online users

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- A video clip showing a rag picker chatting in English with a foreign tourist has become a talk of the town and earned him a lot of praises.

The clip was posted by a Facebook user, called Narin Nice, on Saturday. He said he spotted the rag picker in his neighborhood speaking to a foreign tourist in fluent English so he became impressive and shot the clip to share.

At press time, the clip has been watched by over 323,200 times and it has been shared by over 1,900 times. More than 4,800 Facebook users have liked the post.

In the clip, the foreign woman asked the rag picker about his family.

Many Facebook uses said they were impressed to see it.

A user, who goes by the name of AmBank Debsiri, said being a scavenger did not mean one lacked education

Jikapus Akarananthawatna, another Facebook user, said the clip proved that the people could not be judged by their appearance.

Another Facebook user, Arm’m Chanatip, said some people who graduated with a bachelor’s degree, could not speak English like the scavenger.

Some Facebook users made tongue-in-cheek comments that the rag picker spoke English much better than the prime minister.

But some Facebook users said they saw no need for them to be good at speaking English. Instead, they said farang should be forced to learn to speak Thai.

Others said they did not understand why a person who can speak English should be praised.

Another Facebook user, Laddawan Thaisongkram, said the man used to work as a tour guide and he found that he could earn more working as a scavenger.

when thais see me walk & how i dress, they might mistake me for a farang bum smile.png

good they don't know my bank account have many zero's smile.png

Thought they [Thai Banks] closed your account when you have zero's ? biggrin.png

where is the link for the clip?

You ask too much from the TV news dream, i mean team.....

Why don't you be pro active & send them a PM instead of sarcastic remarks?rolleyes.gif

This chap could earn a good living as a proof-reader.

The clip was posted by a Facebook user, called Narin Nice, on Saturday. He said he spotted the rag picker in his neighborhood speaking to a foreign tourist in fluent English so he became impressive and shot the clip to share.
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that one of the reasons many so-called "educated" girls, in their 20's or so, don't want to learn English because they have this horrible fear that someone might think they are, or were, a bar girl. Sounds crazy, but this IS Thailan.

• Like 1

"But some Facebook users said they saw no need for them to be good at speaking English. Instead, they said farang should be forced to learn to speak Thai. Others said they did not understand why a person who can speak English should be praised."
It is this attitude which will cause Thailand to lose out to its neighbors with ASEAN integration. The English skills of the average worker in the neighboring countries is quickly exceeding that of the average Thai worker. The failure to see the importance of that, will be the economic downfall of Thailand. The government has to encourage an atmosphere of English immersion. It's not to replace Thai culture or language, but just a recognition that English is the universal language of business and the internet.

Sure. I was surprised at the large number of Cambodians who spoke good (easily understandable) English, starting with the kids.

They may be poor but there are plenty of voluntary organisations who seem to place teaching English at the top of their list.

whats a rag picker?

Use your imagination. Or if no said imagination, read the OP. There it tells you "scavenger"

I dont have an imagination I have assimilated with the borg Thai laugh.png

I have a feeling that one of the reasons many so-called "educated" girls, in their 20's or so, don't want to learn English because they have this horrible fear that someone might think they are, or were, a bar girl. Sounds crazy, but this IS Thailan.

So you spelled Thailand wrong, so we shouldn't think badly about you??coffee1.gif

• Like 1