Japan's chartered flight ban from Thailand is hurting tourism business

webfact

"The ICAO has warned us since 2005 about our aviation management and asked us to improve our systems," he told reporters Monday.

"I understand we have to improve urgently."

The DCA did not give details of the UN body's concerns but said it would provide new training for its staff and increase airline inspections as part of its overhaul.

The ICAO should lighten up a bit. Hell its only been 10 years since the warnings began.facepalm.gif

I like how the Thai DCA did not give details about ICAO's concerns about ignoring safety procedures.

The fact that the Thai airplanes are dangerous doesn't bother them at all. It's only about the loss of tourists=money.

Thai allready has a bad name for dangerous planes, NOK-air was banned from Europe. So they didn't learn anything from that.

Again ... Thais have difficulty with complex thinking, particularly cause and effect. Paying a few hundred baht for a fake certification .... or inspection ... is the easiest way to do things. Never mind human lives. Too complicated.

• Like 1

>>"The ICAO has warned us since 2005 about our aviation management and asked us to improve our systems," he told reporters Monday.<<

And for 10 frecking years they have done nothing!!

They deserve every punishment coming their way!!

Playing with passengers lives, because of the mai phen rai attitude.

Anyone still doubt, that Thailand is a third world country??

Agreed. I wish 'they' would punishe those who should have followed this up.

• Like 1

Better hurt now than later, when one of those, fly by night, mickey mouse airlines

really hurt passengers by having one of those ' we didn't think it would happened

to us' air disasters happened....

• Like 1

Dear General/PM, I have 42 years Airline/Aircraft Maintenance Experience and have associates with Flight Operation and Regulatory Compliance and are able to help with this crisis.

Let me know !!

If you are not Thai your contribution is not wanted. Thai pride is taking the nation to the bottom of the ASEAN barrel. In 20 years Thais will be working as gardeners and factory workers in Myanmar and Philippines. That's Thailand is heading. The country needs help, but refuses on all fronts.

• Like 1

He called for understanding from the Thai public, saying that the problem has been existing for a long time

yes, just like flooding, the problem has existed for a long time...and just like human trafficking, the problem has existed for a long time...and just like corruption, the problem has existed for a long time...this is just an endless list (antiquated railway system, Bangkok submerging, traffic, education)

They all know the problems have existed for a long time, being warned time and again by national and international organizations and institutions, being downgraded year after year - and nothing is done, no planning, no action, just grunting at the trough. Now, the current government gets slapped in the face with their aviation system being at risk, and although Prayuth inherited these problems and did not create or procrastinate them, he needs to put the lottery problem aside and deal now. Good luck (and don't blame anyone for a change, blame the Thai political mindset)

ask the BIG BOSS in Dubai,

maybee they can service the plains there ??

he have also the peanuts to cover expenses

It's a great country and they have their scapegoat. Most every time something goes wrong, Thaksin is to blame, Maybe some of you that aren't as illiterate as I am with computers could show me when corruption started here in Thailand, it had to be under Thaksin's watch because before his time, everything had to have been perfect. No mafia, no corruption, hell all the coups since 1932 must have been indirectly cause by the Shinawatra family.

• Like 1

Looks like only sanctions or ban are effective for any improvements expected from the Thais. See how effective are the sanctions from the US & EU on the slavery issue in the fishing industry. Now, the banning of Thai flights to Japan. Nothing was mentioned in the local media about their faults or wrongdoing but only the predicaments they are facing. Looks like its still not their fault!

Well Mr. Somchai Piputvat, "Head" of the Department of Civil Aviation, I think your 9th Feb comment is coming back to bite you in the ar$e my son....

"He noted that, no matter what happens, Icao does not have direct authority to ban Thai carriers from foreign airspace."

"He noted that, no matter what happens, Icao does not have direct authority to ban Thai carriers from foreign airspace."

cheesy.gif I must have missed that, link please.

"Transport Minister Prajin Juntong today expressed concern that the poor rating of the Thai Civil Aviation Department’s control of air safety measures by the International Civil Aviation Organisation may backfire out of control in a domino-like effect.".

Perhaps it is not the rating, but the condition of the areas inspected that resulted in the rating being issued. Massaging the order of words can mean a lot. Then again, perhaps the translation was in error.

I learned to fly here in Thailand and operate a small light aircaft on a private basis. I have had interactions with the Thai DCA at numerous levels over the years, and frankly I think they have been doing a reasonable job under very difficult circumstances. They are the symptom, not the cause of a much wider statutory problem manifested by the Thai Air Navigation Act, which is in serious need of reform.

My understanding is that the bulk of the recent ICAO criticism was over low manning levels, hampering the Thai DCA from executing proper oversight. Given the rapid expansion of all the airlines in the region, it is no wonder a lot of senior DCA officials are being poached. Malaysia had similar issues several years ago with the insatiable growth of Airasia.

I also think that punishing the airlines based on the principle of tainted fruit from the poisoned tree is lamentable. The majority of the bigger Thai airlines are well run, and have to conform to oversight from many external agencies, not just the Thai DCA.

Without root and branch reform of the Thai Air Law that governs, and limits the power of the Thai DCA, there will be little tangible improvement possible.

You may wish to read the excerpts from the ICAO report that were released. It isn't just oversight. The issue relates to airports, ATC, training, verification of qualifications, standards and surveillance.

• Like 1

The last time I got on a Thai operated aircraft I looked out of my window seat at a section of the wing which had a sticker clearly saying "NO STEP". Right next to that in the area the sticker was referring to was a clear boot print. I have avoided flying on any of their carriers internationally or domestically for that and other reasons, but all related to safety concerns!

second that - I am not ready to risk my life on a thai operated plane as these people rather save 5 satang than human life. just look at how they operate bus, trains, cars, bikes and its not diff with planes - pure recklessness

You left out elephants, tuk-tuks, and jet skiis.

Why doesn't Minister Prajin do something to improve the safety standards instead of whining? I know he will form several committees to look at the problem for the next couple of years or so and kick the problem down the road.

• Like 1

Well Mr. Somchai Piputvat, "Head" of the Department of Civil Aviation, I think your 9th Feb comment is coming back to bite you in the ar$e my son....

cheesy.gif I must have missed that, link please.

Cannot, large national newspaper no good ;)

He called for understanding from the Thai public, saying that the problem has been existing for a long time

yes, just like flooding, the problem has existed for a long time...and just like human trafficking, the problem has existed for a long time...and just like corruption, the problem has existed for a long time...this is just an endless list (antiquated railway system, Bangkok submerging, traffic, education)

They all know the problems have existed for a long time, being warned time and again by national and international organizations and institutions, being downgraded year after year - and nothing is done, no planning, no action, just grunting at the trough. Now, the current government gets slapped in the face with their aviation system being at risk, and although Prayuth inherited these problems and did not create or procrastinate them, he needs to put the lottery problem aside and deal now. Good luck (and don't blame anyone for a change, blame the Thai political mindset)

ask the BIG BOSS in Dubai,

maybee they can service the plains there ??

he have also the peanuts to cover expenses

There are no plains in dubai...its desert.

Or maybe dessert to you?

• Like 2

I can't wait for songkran to finish to see TAT blame lack of Japanese tourists as the cause for lack of expected tourists dollars spent here in their speculations.

Thail based airlines knew in advance this would happen based on reports made previously mentioned by other posters here. They just didn't want to take any planes out of the air to fix for fear of losing profits. As seems to be Thai trend by waiting until the sh--- hits the fan before they do anything.

Haw you know he did not creat the problem I think he he does create this one and the rest he makes worse

No dictator state can fly there aircraft where ever they like

And strange many problems popping up which normaly is a sign of your direction that's proberly why this did not pop up with yingluck different direction looks like that is a better direction

I think they could have burnt all the rice and still made a better revenue than this

If you look the numbers for consumer buys it is dropping which normaly is a sign of you proberly know

So I belive he Is to blame and a door closer

I knows he not creased the proberly he not makes it worst. There is the plane can not fly where it wants, too many pop ups popping up in all directions but mostly pop up in yingluck, the rice burner. The dropper stopper of the numbers is a sign to close the door.

It's been fun communicating with you, happy inhaling my boy!

• Like 1