402 children drown in summer each year in Thailand

webfact

402 children drown in summer each year

BANGKOK, 30 March 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health has warned parents to keep a close watch on their children, as an average of 402 children drown each year during summer months.

According to Public Health Minister Dr. Ratchata Ratchatanawin, the survey by the Department of Disease Control shows that around 1,200 children below 15 years old die from drowning annually, or as many as 4 children per day.

The number of deaths usually increases during the summer months of April, May and June. An average of 148 children died in April, 129 in May, and 125 in June in the past decade.

Most of them drowned in natural water settings, including canals and ponds, swimming pools and bathtubs, respectively. The incidents happened most frequently during the afternoon and evening hours, and occurred to more boys than girls.

The Minister is urging parents to keep an eye on their kids when they are around the water, especially those younger than 5 years old. They should not be left by themselves even for just a few seconds as they are not physically strong enough to hold themselves upright even in shallow water.

He has also instructed local public health offices and other related agencies to convey to parents the need to protect their youngsters.

Warning signs must be posted around the water bodies and safety gears should be kept nearby. People are encouraged to dial 1669 for help when needed.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-30 footer_n.gif

ACCIDENT
Hundreds of children drown during the summer months

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has warned parents to keep a close watch on their children as an average of 402 children drown each year during summer months.

Minister Dr Ratchata Ratchatanawin said a survey by the Disease Control shows that around 1,200 children below 15 years old die from drowning annually, or as many as four children per day.

The number of deaths usually increased during the summer months of April, May and June. An average of 148 children died in April, 129 in May, and 125 in June in the past decade.

Most of them drowned in natural water settings, including canals and ponds, swimming pools and bathtubs, respectively. The incidents happened most frequently during the afternoon and evening hours, and occurred to more boys than girls.

Ratchata urged parents to keep an eye on their kids when they were near the water, especially those younger than 5 years old. They should not be left by themselves even for just a few seconds as they are not physically strong enough to hold themselves upright even in shallow water.

He has also instructed local public health offices and other related agencies to convey to parents the need to protect their youngsters.

Warning signs must be posted around the water bodies and safety gears should be kept nearby. People are encouraged to dial 1669 for help when needed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Hundreds-of-children-drown-during-the-summer-month-30257048.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-30

How about mandatory swimming lessons in school for all kids!

Utter genius

Our province, 510,000 population.

One public six lane 25m pool

Few qualified instructors - why would there be, with one pool?

Sure to work

A long way till there's anything 'mandatory'

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

Just seems that teaching basic water survival skills, in Thailand, has a very LOW priority. In our humble village (Moo Baan population. abt. 1440) at least one drowns every year (since 2001 that I have been living here). Mostly fishing in flood waters and about 30%, pissed up, falling into the water and not surfacing!! TTF there have been NO kids, thus far, that I know of.

I start to give less and less eff about this!

They don't care for anything, no matter how many people/ children die!

Road safety, helmets, better bus-regulations, real driving tests, swimming lessons...if they don't care, why should I?

Because you are smarter!!thumbsup.gif

How about mandatory swimming lessons in school for all kids!

Utter genius

Our province, 510,000 population.

One public six lane 25m pool

Few qualified instructors - why would there be, with one pool?

Sure to work

A long way till there's anything 'mandatory'

well to train qualified instructors you don't need long.....

And Thailand has lots of beaches.....A 1 week to the beach for the northern kids in a low tourist time wouldn't brake the bank and the kids would love it.

In 1 week or maybe 2 x 1 week you could learn basics

Thai parents do seem to treat their children differently from most Western parents. My wife always reflects with sadness that there were never any shows of affection from her parents or close relatives. Never a kiss or hug or a kind word.

This lack of empathy probably spills over into taking care of a child's physical well being and leads to a failure to protect them

Accidents can happen, and my eldest son drowned while swimming but he was 31 at the time. It was nobody's fault. It was just one of those things and he was a reasonable swimmer

The global statistics for deaths by drowning are quite horrendous, so Thailand is not alone in losing thousands of young souls to drowning. Aids and Ebola captured the World's attention, I hope some major celebrities or royalty start a campaign to tackle the dreadful plague of deaths by drowning

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's due to neglect - most Thai parents give a toss and have their kids just live alongside like a cat or dog, best if they can drop them at school early and pick them up late so they're out of the way. Great if they go somewhere to a lake, waterfall or river in the afternoon with thier friends, providing some free extra quality time to mom and dad to watch some braindead Thai soaps on the telly while gulping down some Lao Khao mixed with red or green Fanta.

Same goes for aunts, uncles and grandparents who have to bring up the small ones because mom has been impregnated by a useless 15 year old drug addicted punk (who did not and will not achieve anything ever in life despite a wheelie on his pimped-up Honda Click) who fled to another province as soon as the belly showed and mom ended up in some girlie bar in the south...

Let's face it - the majority of Thai parents care just about themselves, kids are a necessary burden because later, as adults, they will provide for their card playing, gambling, alcohol addicted parents who never gave them a hug, or kiss, letting alone teaching them empathy or other human values.

You seem very angry. The majority of Thai parents I know sacrifice a lot to provide for their kids

I agree

The fact is its on average that around 3000 children and majority under 12 years old.

Look at the stats throughout south east Asia and you will find similar stats.

A headline of 400 odd is a throw away number to highlight a problem for part of the year.

Authorities need to have a solution if they intend to soap box spuke in part.

You definately need to take a chill pill and try and be a concerned human being

Its really not that hard

I haven't seen a comment about the number in total of Kids alone that die each year due to drowning and many within metres of where they live near a local creek or water way.

“I love my children so much. They are my world. I live for them. Though they don't understand this, I don't care. I will not stop nagging them. I will be in every part of their lives, for who knows what will happen in adulthood? I have knowledge from my own experiences. I know what they should avoid. I know what is good for them. Whether they hate me or love me, it won't make a difference in how I guard them.”

It's due to neglect - most Thai parents give a toss and have their kids just live alongside like a cat or dog, best if they can drop them at school early and pick them up late so they're out of the way. Great if they go somewhere to a lake, waterfall or river in the afternoon with thier friends, providing some free extra quality time to mom and dad to watch some braindead Thai soaps on the telly while gulping down some Lao Khao mixed with red or green Fanta.

Same goes for aunts, uncles and grandparents who have to bring up the small ones because mom has been impregnated by a useless 15 year old drug addicted punk (who did not and will not achieve anything ever in life despite a wheelie on his pimped-up Honda Click) who fled to another province as soon as the belly showed and mom ended up in some girlie bar in the south...

Let's face it - the majority of Thai parents care just about themselves, kids are a necessary burden because later, as adults, they will provide for their card playing, gambling, alcohol addicted parents who never gave them a hug, or kiss, letting alone teaching them empathy or other human values.

+1 - if the parents cared then the outrageous number of drowned kids every year would not be so high but just another sad death-record to be "proud´" of I guess - Thais hate to learn for some strange reason ...

You seem very angry. The majority of Thai parents I know sacrifice a lot to provide for their kids

They are controled by anger and their numerous and repeated mistakes. Written by a former useless 15 year old and a uselss whatever current age. The text book punk.

Many parents the world over could stand a class or two in parenting.

“I love my children so much. They are my world. I live for them. Though they don't understand this, I don't care. I will not stop nagging them. I will be in every part of their lives, for who knows what will happen in adulthood? I have knowledge from my own experiences. I know what they should avoid. I know what is good for them. Whether they hate me or love me, it won't make a difference in how I guard them.”

+1 - if the parents cared then the outrageous number of drowned kids every year would not be so high but just another sad death-record to be "proud´" of I guess - Thais hate to learn for some strange reason ...

The self-haters have had their say. Never will they have their day.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true

• Like 1