Another Day of Drudgery at Chaeng Wattana

Since I find it hard to get up early, I arrived at CW at 10:09 today to get my retirement extension queue ticket # L-69. As I waited, I noticed that there were quite a few people who were able to see officers without queue numbers. Some of them appeared to be agents accompanying single foreigners or families of foreigners. (Do agents have special arrangements to see immigration officers outside of the queue system?)

Anyway, I got to see an officer at about 2:45 after a pair of elderly ladies who talked to her for a full hour. During that hour, another agent processed five applications. The processing time would be faster if people were prepared with their required photocopies but they're not and the agents have to wait 5-7 minutes while the applicants dash downstairs to get their photocopies.

Things went smoothly for me and my extension was complete except for being signed by the supervisor because it was discovered at the last moment that I had mistakenly provided a copy of my income affidavit. She kindly agreed to let me bring in the original tomorrow and she will then approve the extension. I'll do the re-entry permit tomorrow too. It sure would be nice if the government extended the length of extensions to three years!

I went today Tuesday March 31 and I have never seen it so busy. I arrived about 50 minutes before they opened and I was in line all the way back by the wall on the opposite side from the door. A lot of people seem to just put a book or papers on the floor to hold their spot until the doors open. About a year ago I sent a nice letter to Immigration on their website complaints link, saying that I sure wished they would put some security personnel outside they entrance doors so that when they opened, people that were not even in line just rushed the doors and butted in. I was happy to see security outside when they opened today and saw them turn several line butters away, good for them. I am not saying that my complaint changed anything but it might have helped a little.

I just needed a Residence Certificate because I am going to get an International Drivers License in Bangkok late next month in April and because I do not have a work permit (I am on a non-0 based on retirement extension), it is required. I was told today that it should arrive in the mail to me no later than three weeks time. Two hundred baht that they charge is a lot better than the $50 that US Embassy charges me for one.

I was out of there at 9:10am with a queue number at my window of 5 and home in Lumpini at 10:30, the traffic sucked.

Life is good.

Monday is always a bad day to go.

Exactly, but what is a good day to go?

I don't know, maybe I am getting old, but I have been coming and going from Thailand for three decades, and the bs just seems to be getting deeper.

e.g. obtaining a work permit as a teacher is an increasingly arcane process.

I am seriously contemplating moving my lazy and shiftless existence to the Phils.

• Like 1

The immigration nonsense is the one thing that puts me off moving back to Thailand. It would make much more sense if you only went there to record a change of address/circumstances. What is the point of a a one year visa, but you have to report every 90 days? When I lived there some years ago, it seemed such a waste of time to confirm everything they already had.

• Like 1

I want to go do a 30 extension on a tourist visa this week. What time the Chaeng Wattana office "officially" open, and is it a good idea to arrive early to get a queue number?

I believe it's 1900 Baht and I need the extension form and pictures. Is there anything else that might be required?

I want to go do a 30 extension on a tourist visa this week. What time the Chaeng Wattana office "officially" open, and is it a good idea to arrive early to get a queue number?

I believe it's 1900 Baht and I need the extension form and pictures. Is there anything else that might be required?

They open at 08:30. Getting there early can help a little.

You need a completed TM7 form with an attached 4cm X 6cm photo. Download and print 2 sided: .http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card, The fee is 1900 baht.

I've been watching this series on the BBC about the Bangkok Airport. I have come to the conclusion that farangs are absolutely horrible people. Always expecting to be taken care of. Yelling, swearing and crying when things don't go their way.

If I was a Thai, I wouldn't want these horrible people in my country. I'd make life as difficult as possible for them with the hope they would leave.

Think about it next time you throw a shitfit here in LOS.

• Like 2

I also went there for my extension on a Tuesday in March. And then it was ok. I came 9:30. And I was on my way home just before lunch.

I went there last Tuesday, I also arrived at 09.30 and collected my extension a few minutes before 12.00.

We all had to leave while the staff had their lunch, 15 mins to get a queue ticket for a re-entry permit, stuck behind the wrong people in the queue, then a further two and a half hours to hand the application in, but only 30 mins to process.

Yes the agents with their shoulder bags and customers in toe were there in abundance, morning and afternoon.

Then caught all the traffic driving home after last Tuesday's storm.

I've been watching this series on the BBC about the Bangkok Airport. I have come to the conclusion that farangs are absolutely horrible people. Always expecting to be taken care of. Yelling, swearing and crying when things don't go their way.

If I was a Thai, I wouldn't want these horrible people in my country. I'd make life as difficult as possible for them with the hope they would leave.

I think Farangs in this category are a few minority cases which the BBC focused on.

I have lived in Thailand for over 33 years and most Farang I know are very patient when it comes to dealing with the Thai bureaucracy.

The government actually makes life pretty hard for those of us who are long term resident and we contribute considerable amounts of cash into their economy............ and the best they can do is a one year visa??

I am considering leaving to another country where we are more welcome.

• Like 2

indeed some of us are as you describe.

however, you need perspective.

a huge number of foreign tourists pass through the airport every day with no issues, complaints, problems, lost items, drunkeness, disrespect or idiocy. being a tv programme of course the the Bangkok Airport production company focused on the exceptions in order to make good tv.

As I waited, I noticed that there were quite a few people who were able to see officers without queue numbers. Some of them appeared to be agents accompanying single foreigners or families of foreigners. (Do agents have special arrangements to see immigration officers outside of the queue system?)

I was at CW three weeks ago to get a non-imm O visa and was using an agent... There are two immigration officers assigned to do nothing but agent requests... I had to make an appearance to have my photo taken, but that was it and I was in and out in 15 minutes...

Thank you for your post. I am confident that the immigration bureau will take your suggestion of an extension of stay for three years into account, but this will require an amendment of the Immigration Act. You may have to lobby the members of parliament to achieve your aim.

you could replace all that waffle with "bribe"

• Like 1

Thank you for your post. I am confident that the immigration bureau will take your suggestion of an extension of stay for three years into account, but this will require an amendment of the Immigration Act. You may have to lobby the members of parliament to achieve your aim.

Members of Parliament? They're extinct.

There is a small matter of a General Election first is there not?

everybody that goes to CW should be a happy camper

i go to samut prakan little shitty office

4 - 5 desks

cramped

photocopies outside for 3 baht a paper

no update machines or anything

i went for my extention, i did have my bank letter from day prior, I also did my bank book update, day prior

but they wanted to see from the same day ...

off course, no bank atm nearby, no update machine

had to take a BLIND taxi as off course, no help to say where is the nearest bank, and really, in that shithole, nothing at all nearby...

took another 1 hour and 30 min to go in dense trafic to find my bank and back

why oh why, is there no immigration office at the airport at suvi ... it is near my home, it has restaurants, shops, toilets

not even a toilet in samut prakarn immigration office, not for public , that is

Members of Parliament? They're extinct.

were useless parasites anyway