Orient Thai plunges from sky after engine fails

webfact

I took a flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on a 1-2 Go rust bucket many years ago. It rattled noisily down the runway, with overhead compartments falling open before lurching into the sky. Later I took a visit to the bathroom and the toilet seat had fallen off. Never again.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Isn't this the Thai airline that had a plane impounded at Gatwick for months due to safety issues and had a nasty crash at Phuket amidst questions about safety procedures and the foreign pilot's qualifications and experience?

Yes it is. Also goes under the name 1 to go or some such nonsense. The alleged irregularities over the Phuket crash were cleared up in a way that was mutually satisfactory to all involved with the exception of the victims and their families. But the UK authorities obviously refused to negotiate with the slime and wouldn't let plane go till all the necessary work was done, which obviously wasnt thought necessary by the 12 employees who handle safety issues at the Thai Aviation Dept (nice lucrative work if you can get it).

It is very obvious that this airline would never has been given a licence to fly by any respectable aviation authority that cares for the lives of passengers and crew.

Mate you forgot the 15 million people who live in Bangkok or Singapore or Tokyo or any other big metropole where those planes were allowed to land or depart from.

How safe are we here in Bangkok?

Another typical Thai news cover up...'It never happened '....'Sweep it under the carpet '....'It was Yingluck's fault '....Heads in the sand.....Living in denial.....Thainess.

In short....anything but the transparent truth.

Aw come on! Putin must have had a hand in it toothumbsup.gif

Isn't this the Thai airline that had a plane impounded at Gatwick for months due to safety issues and had a nasty crash at Phuket amidst questions about safety procedures and the foreign pilot's qualifications and experience?

No that was Phuket Air.

• Like 1

Yesterday my big bike had to go for service to the Honda dealer (8000 km). They changed the oil and that was it.

After reading this thread i decided to check the maintenance schedule and of course they had to check/replace many more parts then just the oil.

Now my dealer has a problem. I'm tired of the Thai and their way of maintenance. You just can't trust them!bah.gif

Wow, your big bike, eh? You must be a big man then if you have a big bike, yes?

Is maintenance on a big bike so much more special than on a smaller bike that you have to emphasise the size to everyone?

• Like 1

I always assumed forward momentum and glide ratio would prevent a plane from falling from the sky?

Any aircraft can stall at any speed. When it stalls, sometimes the pilot can reestablish laminar flow over the wings and sometimes they cannot. In any case it takes time to recover from a stall and during that time, it falls like a lead balloon.

Ummm .. I have not flown left seat for a long time, but remind me how "Any aircraft can stall at any speed".

I seem to recall that angle of attack and (stall) speed could erase lift and creat a stall.

Please tell us hw a plane at Design Maneuvering Speed ... can stall.

Thank You.

I always assumed forward momentum and glide ratio would prevent a plane from falling from the sky?

With loss of engine power I would assume a certain amount of directional control would immediately follow, possibly allowing for a slight sideways or even tail stall,

only when the aircraft is put into a steep nose dive by the flight crew would a "glide ratio" to come into effect...

hence the sudden loss of altitude & deployment of oxygen masks... normal procedure. as practiced by all flight deck crew during training.

as for the "multitude of nosebleeds" I can only assume these were inflicted during a time of panic among the passengers & caused by other means than "altitude drop" or sudden loss of pressurisation.

No that was Phuket Air.

And still flying, although no-longer here in Thailand, according to Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Air

Report on the flight http://avherald.com/h?article=483fc32e

Hard to believe this airline is still in existence with their 1-2-Go debacle in Phuket. Couldn't pay me to get on one of their aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-GO_Airlines_Flight_269

"Well used" aircraft http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Orient%20Thai%20Airlines.htm

I couldn't agree more. That company utilise nothing but flying coffins. Anyone who flies with them needs their head examining in my opinion.

It wasn't that jumbo that was parked at Udon for years was it ??? or similar aircraft.

The Jumbo is still in Udon, they've just moved it off the tarmac into a jungle clearing, you can still see it on take off/landing. That is an old 1-2-Go machine... story here http://www.i-nomad.net/2010/07/plane-for-sale.html

DSC00112.JPG

I flew into Udon last May and was looking for that Jumbo but couldn't see it. I could see the Nok Air Saab 340 , titles painted out that had an accident though.

Yesterday my big bike had to go for service to the Honda dealer (8000 km). They changed the oil and that was it.

After reading this thread i decided to check the maintenance schedule and of course they had to check/replace many more parts then just the oil.

Now my dealer has a problem. I'm tired of the Thai and their way of maintenance. You just can't trust them!bah.gif

Wow, your big bike, eh? You must be a big man then if you have a big bike, yes?

Is maintenance on a big bike so much more special than on a smaller bike that you have to emphasise the size to everyone?

You are beautiful when you are jealous ... and really should take your afternoon nap .. a bit grumpy are we?

(PS: If you understood that a 50CC scooter and a big bore bike have totally different needs at the first tune up ... and that if the valves are not properly set ... etc ... it dooms the bike to shortened life span that would help. Beddy - bye for you? yes???)

About 3 or 4 years ago a flew to phuket on air Asia and chaingrai on one to go. The air Asia plane looked very old and not cleaned at all on the outside. The One to Go plane looked almost new. Both medium size planes. Has something changed?

The Air Asia aircraft are mostly new or not very old. The Orient Thai 1 2 go aircraft are older than the cabin crew. Are sure you have remembered it right?

• Like 1

If a plane loses power in any of the engines and is about to stall and go into direct vertical descent then the pilot immediately increases available power and puts the nose down to gain more speed and recover from the stall by increasing the airflow over the wings. Hence the sudden fast descent, standard procedure.

Something at this story is strange:

"Flight OX682 was carrying Chinese tourists home from Phuket when the engine failed, and the rate of descent was so fast many passengers suffered from nosebleeds and fainted due to the sudden loss of altitude."

If one engine fails nothing big should happen. Can fly with only one.

It must have really fallen down with extreme g forces to cause nosebleeding and people faint.....

And the attendants should calm the people not brake down.

There is more about this story than a malfunction of an engine.

Wow, even if this was the Chinese Tourist acting badly situation, this still is no way to treat the toursist. What are they trying to do to the lucrative Chinese Tourist trade?

Let's we cannot take the trains, they seem to crash into one another, jets are failing from the sky... Ferries sink...

But we can drive cars and motorcycles..

I trust the proper authorities act..

TIT.

sad.png

Report on the flight http://avherald.com/h?article=483fc32e

Hard to believe this airline is still in existence with their 1-2-Go debacle in Phuket. Couldn't pay me to get on one of their aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-GO_Airlines_Flight_269

"Well used" aircraft http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Orient%20Thai%20Airlines.htm

I couldn't agree more. That company utilise nothing but flying coffins. Anyone who flies with them needs their head examining in my opinion.

It wasn't that jumbo that was parked at Udon for years was it ??? or similar aircraft.

I flew that airplane 10 years ago. It was the best in the fleet. Only the best maintenance LOL

Orient Thai plane makes emergency landing in Kunming airport

31-3-2558-15-37-59-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An Orient Thai Airlines flight OX682 from Phuket to Chengdu in China was forced to make emergency landing at Kunming airport after developing engine trouble.

The incident happened on Saturday.

The chartered flight had engine trouble when it entered the Chinese airspace.

Oxygen masks dropped from the ceiling when the plane lowered its altitude abruptly leaving many passengers bleeding from losing air pressure.

A passenger told Chinese media, Daily Mail, that travellers and flight attendants were screaming and crying, and they feared the plane would break apart in the sky as oxygen masks dropped from the ceiling.

The plane landed safely on Kunming and the plane aborted its flight to Chengdu.

Passengers were transferred to other flights to their destinations.

Meanwhile the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology blocked access to the Daily Mail saying the site had inappropriate contents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/orient-thai-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-kunming-airport

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-31

Well, all the aviation experts are out in force today pontificating about an incident that they know very little about that was re-published from Coconuts for god's sake.

Pontificating about pontificating pontificators. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Nosebleeds? Fainting? From descending too fast??

Engine failure would not cause rapid decent more likely loss of cabin pressure and the crew performing SOP in getting the aircraft bellow 10000ft ASAP.

• Like 2