Which emergency medical insurance for holidays in Thailand

steve654

I was reading that since Thailand is under Military Rule, we would need (or it would at least be a good idea) to purchase emergency medical insurance from the Thai government. We are from Canada, and will be traveling soon and would like to know if we can purchase this online?

I thought awhile back I saw it advertised by the Thai Tourism Authority but now that I am looking for it I can't find the link.

I used to buy travel medical insurance. I don't primarily because there were NONE that I could find that actually up front or that was accepted by the hospital as coverage. Every one I found and I bought three different ones, all were only reimbursable, i.e. you send them the bills after you pay the hospital, and the hospital would not take any payment from them. So, I just go and if I have a problem realize I will have to pay the hospital, and later file for payment reimbursement to my USA medical plan (blue cross blue shield).

Does anybody know of travel insurance that is actually accepted by some or all Thailand major hospitals so that I wouldn't have to pay the hospital before I leave?

I used to buy travel medical insurance. I don't primarily because there were NONE that I could find that actually up front or that was accepted by the hospital as coverage. Every one I found and I bought three different ones, all were only reimbursable, i.e. you send them the bills after you pay the hospital, and the hospital would not take any payment from them. So, I just go and if I have a problem realize I will have to pay the hospital, and later file for payment reimbursement to my USA medical plan (blue cross blue shield).

Does anybody know of travel insurance that is actually accepted by some or all Thailand major hospitals so that I wouldn't have to pay the hospital before I leave?

Quite often it depends on where you live in the world. Canada , USA , EU etc. most travel insurances have a 24h emergency medical telephone number. When you are out of it in some thai hospital, to injured or sick to do anything. The hospital will ring this number satisfy themselves they will be paid and even arrange repatriation etc. you should never have to pay the USD100,000 bill. If you only say have stumbled and cut your hand you will have to pay the bill and get reimbursed back home.

If you reside in the EU Trailfinders travel insurance is a top notch policy automatically covers you for injuries from riding a motorcycle, elephant riding, bungee jumps, 5 or 10 million GBP medical (I can't remember ) . Pretty much as good as it gets. There annual policy is good multiple trips up to 70 days duration worldwide.

Any thoughts for Canadians? My old Doctor told me she never saw any insurance company here pay any bill that was over $3,000. That is why

I was looking for something valid in Thailand that hospitals will accept in case of an emergency.

I've always wondered about that! Last week on tv here in canada, we saw a report about a women who got into an accident with her moped and a truck. She was beat up bad, bones sticking out of her body, blood everywhere, and her friend eventually found her in a hospital in Phuket. They just left her six hours in a room with no medical treatment, no pain killers, basically left her there to die and she would have died if here friend did not find her, call her parents and arrange for funds for the operation. I forgot the whole details, but she did have insurance, but from what I remember, it did not matter as she would have to send them the bills for reimbursment. I remember they charged $60,000 USD for the operation. Kind of spooked us as anyone can be unlucky and get involved in an accident, but to just leave her there to die with no attention is downright scary. That is why I was hoping there is some reputable insurance company in Thailand that can assist in case of an emergency to fund treatment at least until the person is conscious. Anyone know of any decent insurance company like that?

Edited by steve654
  • Like 1

I don't know anything about that accident but I sure the hospitals are aware that the travel insurance is invalidated if you don't wear a helmet, have been drinking alcohol , don't have a license and many insurances don't cover you on a motorcycle full stop. I am guessing they were awaiting assurance they were going to be paid.

I've always wondered about that! Last week on tv here in canada, we saw a report about a women who got into an accident with her moped and a truck. She was beat up bad, bones sticking out of her body, blood everywhere, and her friend eventually found her in a hospital in Phuket. They just left her six hours in a room with no medical treatment, no pain killers, basically left her there to die and she would have died if here friend did not find her, call her parents and arrange for funds for the operation. I forgot the whole details, but she did have insurance, but from what I remember, it did not matter as she would have to send them the bills for reimbursment. I remember they charged $60,000 USD for the operation. Kind of spooked us as anyone can be unlucky and get involved in an accident, but to just leave her there to die with no attention is downright scary. That is why I was hoping there is some reputable insurance company in Thailand that can assist in case of an emergency to fund treatment at least until the person is conscious. Anyone know of any decent insurance company like that?

Don't believe everything you hear or see.

The same goes for this "My old Doctor told me she never saw any insurance company here pay any bill that was over $3,000."

Edited by stevenl

I don't know anything about that accident but I sure the hospitals are aware that the travel insurance is invalidated if you don't wear a helmet, have been drinking alcohol , don't have a license and many insurances don't cover you on a motorcycle full stop. I am guessing they were awaiting assurance they were going to be paid.

Now make that " the hospitals are aware that some travel insurance is invalidated if you don't wear a helmet, have been drinking alcohol , don't have a license" and you're correct.

Edited by stevenl

OP, why don't you simply book travel insurance from an insurance company in your country?

I have year round travel insurance from Europ Assistance covering medical expenses up to 1.25 million Euro for trip lasting max 180 days at a yearly cost of 215 euro, covering for my family. Look around, you should find similar insurance.

Martial law has been lifted.

World nomads is a good co. for travel insurance.

Complete nonsense re the "no insurance co pays more than $3,000". Insurance cos pay according to the coverage. I and innumerable other TV members have had local policies pay out more than that. It depedns on what coverage you have.

True however that most travel insurance requires you to pay up front first.

OP, why don't you simply book travel insurance from an insurance company in your country?

I have year round travel insurance from Europ Assistance covering medical expenses up to 1.25 million Euro for trip lasting max 180 days at a yearly cost of 215 euro, covering for my family. Look around, you should find similar insurance.

Because none of them are trustworthy.

Wrong attitude. Simple fact is that if travel insurance companies didn't pay out where they were obliged to pay out then there would be far more horror stories doing the rounds and governments in travellers home countries would be taking action. But its not a case of trusting them, its a case of making sure you're covered. Certainly motor bike accidents are an area where the hospitals are wary, they know from experience that the small print in the policies can often mean the person will not be covered. Could be down to a clause requiring crash helmets, motor bikes over a certain cc or not holding a licence to ride that category of motor bike. Read the small print. If you have a license make sure you have a copy that can be emailed to the claims company.

In the UK at any rate I have never seen a policy that didn't take over and guarantee the hospital fees directly for any in-patient treatment if the claim is valid and you haven't fallen foul of the exception clauses.

Edited by roamer
  • Like 1

Wrong attitude. Simple fact is that if travel insurance companies didn't pay out where they were obliged to pay out then there would be far more horror stories doing the rounds and governments in travellers home countries would be taking action. But its not a case of trusting them, its a case of making sure you're covered. Certainly motor bike accidents are an area where the hospitals are wary, they know from experience that the small print in the policies can often mean the person will not be covered. Could be down to a clause requiring crash helmets, motor bikes over a certain cc or not holding a licence to ride that category of motor bike. Read the small print. If you have a license make sure you have a copy that can be emailed to the claims company.

In the UK at any rate I have never seen a policy that didn't take over and guarantee the hospital fees directly for any in-patient treatment if the claim is valid and you haven't fallen foul of the exception clauses.

I've had the pleasure only three times in my life to deal with claims for family members and all three times were very disappointing. Was just reading some of the exclusions from recommended insurances here and they do have some beauties, such as one is not covered for food poisoning, bacterial infection, having an accident if a carrier had an unlicensed driver....the list goes on and on, so yes reading the fine print is important.

You mentioned in the "UK" and I am assuming insurance companies there are much more noble than their counterparts here in Canada.

Edited by steve654

I've had the pleasure only three times in my life to deal with claims for family members and all three times were very disappointing. Was just reading some of the exclusions from recommended insurances here and they do have some beauties, such as one is not covered for food poisoning, bacterial infection, having an accident if a carrier had an unlicensed driver....the list goes on and on, so yes reading the fine print is important.

You mentioned in the "UK" and I am assuming insurance companies there are much more noble than their counterparts here in Canada.

I don't think the insurance companies are more noble than Canadian ones but its all about risk. No insurance company wants to insure you for injuries if the driver has no license and can't drive safely. Bus drivers with no license may not be uncommon in Thailand and the roads are dangerous. Insurance is definitely a boring subject and who actually goes through the small print and compares policies? The best you can do is a bit of googling and get some recommendations. Then apply a lot of care and common sense as you travel around. Travel insurance is never going to be perfect and cover every eventuality.

Travel insurance in the UK sun alliance, great cover.

I was hospitalised some years ago in Pattaya. Pattaya memorial icu 4 days plus other private room for 2 weeks.

Asked by staff you have insurance yes,, but i cannot get the papers locked in safe at my hotel.

Get me a phone, i called my agent in UK. call sun alliance tell them my situation.

1 hour later lady came to my room, no problem your insurance company will take care of everything.

It did not cost me 1 baht.

• Like 2

Correct spot on.......Re Bikes Booze etc

Twice I have been hospitalised though when under normal circumstances and Finance Department took Insurance Numbers etc liased back with London and Insurance Company paid Hospitals direct

Once Pattaya Memorial once Pattaya Inter Bills around 22,000 Baht in 2004 and 16.000 Baht in 1998

Correct spot on.......Re Bikes Booze etc

Twice I have been hospitalised though when under normal circumstances and Finance Department took Insurance Numbers etc liased back with London and Insurance Company paid Hospitals direct

Once Pattaya Memorial once Pattaya Inter Bills around 22,000 Baht in 2004 and 16.000 Baht in 1998

What insurance company/agent did you use? Was it UK only? I am USA

In addition to the direct hospital pay method that seems rare from any firm I have checked, many so called medical travel insurance plans are really "secondary" plans, meaning they pay what your primary medical provider did not. So now you are talking about two claim procedures after you are done. One to your primary insurer, say Blue Cross blue shield in the USA which will typically pay about 50% of your overseas claim, if you get that far, then you submit another claim to the temporary insurer. I just spent some time online and I did not find a single provider that seemed to direct pay the hospital or that would provide enough details for me to sort things out. Some talked about 180 countries, but of course don't provide the country list or the cities or hospitals they might deal with.