Short Trip To Vietnam.

Richb2004v2

Yes.

Some travel agents can arrange to send your passport to Bangkok for you.

I went to Vietnam awhile back and they demanded the exact date of entry and exit including the city of entry and exit. For a one week visit.

Amazing they have as big as tourist industry as they do.

In the visa application form they ask for date and exact entry, however, the visa itself is issued for a certain period and automaticaly valid for HCMC- and Hanoi-airports.

Most travellers from Aisan countries do not need a visa, however, holding a passport from US or Europe visa required reciprocally.

Its been over 10 years since I last worked in V/N but would have thought times/visa situation might have changed or at least relaxed a bit.

One thing I found out then (as said maybe changed ) is that you gotta ask and make sure that your entry and exit loctions are clear.

In my case I worked in Hanoi but used to fly via my old Bar -gin joint in Phnom Penh and then enter at TSN-HCM airport and then fly internally up to Hanoi.

When leaving I then had to go back via HCM although I could have got a flight direct from H. to Bangkok.

On another occasion I needed a new work permit (in Bangkok) but this time got an all entry visa so could leave from anywhere...talk about keeping information secret.. :D

Other thing I didnt like is that they want to keep you Passport for "stamping"...No Way.. Hose Zay..I used to sit and wait.Before there was no problem in Bangers wandering about without it (the PP but times have moved on.....

I knew one guy in Saudi once who handed his over for processing for his exit visa but when he went to go on leave he found it had gone "missing" :o

Wife was waiting for him at Heathrow but he didnt get out/back for almost another 6 months.....

Needless to say he jacked in the job... :D

Just renewed my visa, had asked for 6 months multiple and got August 06 - July 07, nearly 1 year.

Length of stay subject to permission by immigration, but they usually allow me to stay til visa-expiry, which I do not really need.

As I said may have changed.

Nothing worse than when Q-ing up at a countries border crossing to leave only to be told Sorry...You gotta go to the over one ...1000kms away..... :D

Incid. I liked V/N and when I was there I even had a minor operation (Ears) by a wonderfull lady consultant in the Hanoi hospital that the Yanks "accidently"bombed during the war....and they only charged me for the anti biotics....(Bach Mai Hospital)

In return I gave them.. the doctors /nurses and couple of evenings of English language lessons.... :D

Now they all have Glasgow accents :D

Heard a rumour that the banks even have ATM machines in place now.... :o .....lots of dongs.

wonders will never etc...

Visa rules: http://www.iexplore.com/dmap/Vietnam/Visa+and+Health

"Required by all except:

(a) nationals of Bulgaria, China (PR) (AB passport), Cuba, Korea (Dem Rep), Mongolia (AB, AC or AO passport), Romania, Russian Federation and Ukraine (AB passport);

(B) nationals of Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand for stays of up to 30 days;

© nationals of The Philippines for stays of up to 21 days;

(d) 1. nationals of Denmark, Finland, Japan, Korea (Rep), Norway and Sweden for stays of up to 15 days;

(e) transit passengers continuing their journey within 24 hours, provided holding valid return or onward tickets. At present, visas can be issued for either groups or individuals."

Edited by zink

Heard a rumour that the banks even have ATM machines in place now.... :o .....lots of dongs.

wonders will never etc...

Yep, they have them for a couple of years now. Tried once and got a bunch of dongs that hardly fit through the slot. :D (believe the limit per withdrawal is 2 million.)

BTW, 10 years ago they had only D 5000-notes, now it's at least 50,000. So no longer need a for a plastic bag full of cash to pay a dinner.

And, of course, plastic all over. Credit cards, cash cards and not to forget discount cards for most of the restaurant-chaines, at least in HCMC.

My partners over there are very proud of these VIP-things. (Haven't I been the same in the past?)

3 cards that allow 10% discount in 5 places, each, ATM-thingis, Vietnam Airlines mileage and frequent flyer cards aso aso.

They used to have promisary Notes that looked like the old British white £5 only written /printed on one side and in denominations of 500,000 & 1 million Dong...felt like a millionaie down at the Purple Rain bar on a Friday night.... :o

Yep, they have them for a couple of years now. Tried once and got a bunch of dongs that hardly fit through the slot. :o (believe the limit per withdrawal is 2 million.)

BTW, 10 years ago they had only D 5000-notes, now it's at least 50,000. So no longer need a for a plastic bag full of cash to pay a dinner.

Now, they have new bills of 100 000 VND, 200 000 VND.

In plastic. Actually, the whole range of paper bills is replaced by plastic (except for bills < 50 000).

Edited by cclub75

I am British and living in Rayong. I guess I will have to travel to Bangkok to get a Visa then. Its such an inconvienience to have to travel to Bangkok every time I need some thing. It seems nothing can be done by post here.

This may be of assistance if you know someone in Bangkok who could visit the Embassy for you.

You can download and print the application form Here

Instructions for visa application

1. Office hours for public :

8h30 - 11h30 ; 13h30 -16h30 from Monday to Friday.

2. Consular Section Telephone :

66 -(0) 2 - 2515836 (---37, ---38) ext. 112 (115,116) or 02 650 8979

3. General information :

1. Visa is required for all visitors (except Holders of Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian passports staying in Vietnam less than 30 days; Philippine passport holders staying in Vietnam less than 21 days)

2. Visitors can apply for Single or Multiple, 1 month, 3 months or 6 months, one year entry Visa.

3. Applicant can personally or delegate to the third person/ agency to make the procedures and get visa.

4. Following documents are requested to submit to the Embassy for all kinds of visa:

-- a. The original PASSPORT, the expiry date of the passport should be at least 3 months since the date of departure from Vietnam, and with vacant pages for visa

stamp.

-- b. One completed application form.

-- c. Two passport-size photographs: one is stapled or glued firmly to the application form.

-- d. Visa fee (Visa fee should be paid in Thai Baht in cash; Holders of Diplomatic and Service Passports in official mission are exempted from visa fees; For update fee information, please contact the Visa Section).

5. The application form is available at the Embassy or can be printed out hereafter.

6. It takes 1 to 4 days to process a visa.

7. Tourist visa is valid for one month, you can ask for normal or express visa.