bitter lemon drink

seajae

In Australia I used to grab Schweppes bitter lemon to mix with vodka every so often but here everything is sweet and nothing is even close to having a bite. Has anyone found anything thats similar to bitter lemon here or is it a lost cause, been looking for years but yet to find something and orange juice is simply too sweet. If I want a drink now all I can do is buy the smirnoff ice mixer with the lemon flavour

Edited by seajae

It is hard to get decent non sugary drinks here,even the orange juice seems to have added sugar,this is a reason why many Thai's now have blood sugar problems and are obese,when i first came here in 1989,no way was there so many fatties,why,because back then,there were no 7/11.no western food[apart from the big hotels],jeez,we could hardly get any bread,in Bangkok,Koa san road had a few bars,and a few cheap guest houses,i went to Koh samet,and was always hungry,for chips[crisps],and chocolate bars like snickers,now like the Usa,sugar in everything.

• Like 1

On the Singapore airways flight last week i notched Bitter Lemon on the menu .Genuine Schweppes it was. Had myself a couple just to test for quality but because it contains quinine i have to be careful with my my medications . But anything in near moderation i guess.

​Tonic Water is a good substitute .

• Like 1

Tops have bickfords lemon, lime or ginger ale flavour..add that to soda water

Brickfords also market a bitter lemon cordial in Oz . Not too bad but still has a tad too much sugar sweetness . I sometimes think we are to scared to really savor bitter as a sensation and a flavor in itself. I should add i can eat a lemon or lime just as easily as a mandarin.The bitter lemon cordial is nice mixed with lemonade or soda water . It is no where good enough to let it pollute good gin though . The Brickfords ginger is good too.

• Like 1