Avoiding police trap on corner of Huaykaew and the moat

konisaan

Yes. And of course you can also cut through Central KSK. It's not that hard. Actually it's almost as easy as just getting a drivers licence!

obviously you don't no the area,you have to go through check point to before you reach ksk,never mind wtk you stick to loy khoy rd what u no best.55555

Maybe Winnie doesn't know the route, but one certainly has to appreciate the lengths to which some others above apparently do go to avoid the possibility of being snagged. rolleyes.gif At least no one has (yet) suggested the helmetless young Thai approach, which is to come to a screeching halt, do a U-turn and rfetreat against one-way traffic! w00t.gif

• Like 1

will the police accept a photocopy of my thai license

What lame-brain would even think to ask this. Will the police in ANY country accept a photocopy of your driver's license? Come on! Thailand is an actual country with actual laws. It's not a simulation.

will the police accept a photocopy of my thai license

What lame-brain would even think to ask this. Will the police in ANY country accept a photocopy of your driver's license? Come on! Thailand is an actual country with actual laws. It's not a simulation.

It's not an unreasonable question when you consider it's fine to carry around a copy of your passport in Thailand instead of the real thing. Thai Visa actually posted a letter from some official (Can't remember who) saying this was OK.

Way-to-go, Winnie! I even did this on foot one time. I live up beyond Salsa Kitchen and my usual way to get to CM Ram hospital is to walk thru Kad Suan Kaew to enjoy the aircon. One morning I had an early doctor's appointment and discovered all the doors to KSK locked, even the doors into Tops, so I went into the parking garage and walked the route I remembered from the tuk-tuk runs. There are handy arrows on the walls pointing toward the exit.

I'm not certain, but I think on a motorcycle trying to avoid the fuzz on Huey Kaew, you'd actually be going the wrong way thru the parking garage, but when has that ever deterred someone on a motorcycle?

• Like 1

Been stopped three times in the last few months on the motorcycle, and twice they wanted to see the Green Book, which I luckily had with me along with a Thai license. Not sure why the increased pressure but getting a Thai driver's license would be a good idea along with carrying the appropriate documents.

Way-to-go, Winnie! I even did this on foot one time. I live up beyond Salsa Kitchen and my usual way to get to CM Ram hospital is to walk thru Kad Suan Kaew to enjoy the aircon. One morning I had an early doctor's appointment and discovered all the doors to KSK locked, even the doors into Tops, so I went into the parking garage and walked the route I remembered from the tuk-tuk runs. There are handy arrows on the walls pointing toward the exit.

I'm not certain, but I think on a motorcycle trying to avoid the fuzz on Huey Kaew, you'd actually be going the wrong way thru the parking garage, but when has that ever deterred someone on a motorcycle?

Yeah.. I mostly only exit there. But with a bike it seems doable. ;)

There are 2 types of people on this Earth, it seems: the ones, who follow laws religiously, all of the times, and never complain about anything, as if laws are divine, and the others, who can still think crtically and realize that laws are --in fact-- arbitrary, sometimes contrived (I am being polite), sometimes flawed.

It is clear that the international licence racket abroad, offered with a one-year limit, for the suckers (AKA sheep), and the contrived method to get a DL here, are both examples of laws that are arbitrary, contrived, and flawed. (The bureaucracy is the flaw in the latter!) Most foreigners have a bona fide licence that is much more difficult to pass the test for. It should be accepted anywhere and, in Thailand, especially, when you see how the locals drive. If I am allowed to drive legally in Canada with it, I should be allowed to drive legally anywhere (especially after a 30-year accident-free record). Sure, there are small differences (signs, ...), but I never had a problem driving here and I NEVER look at the signs (primarily because I would have an accident if I had to spend the time decyphering what they meant). Am I an outlier? I don't think so. Sure, I could learn the language. Frankly, there are other more important and interesting matters to attend to in the world than to learn another language, especially when the locals use a dialect! :)

• Like 2

Yes. And of course you can also cut through Central KSK. It's not that hard. Actually it's almost as easy as just getting a drivers licence!

obviously you don't no the area,you have to go through check point to before you reach ksk,never mind wtk you stick to loy khoy rd what u no best.55555

Sigh.. You turn left into the soi before you even reach Chiag Mai Ram hospital. (It's the soi where you normally exit from the CM Ram parking). Then you enter KSK there, and emerge on Huay Kaew at the exit of the Pang Suang Kaew hotel. Not sure about motorbikes but with a car if you manage to find your way out within 10 minutes then they refund your parking fee.

..obviously..

Or maybe a visual would help.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

And is there actually a topic you know best?

quicker to go the santhim route,and it comes out same area,and cheaper,but you always seem to want to do things the hard way,or the wrong way which ever you prefer.

There are 2 types of people on this Earth, it seems: the ones, who follow laws religiously, all of the times, and never complain about anything, as if laws are divine, and the others, who can still think crtically and realize that laws are --in fact-- arbitrary, sometimes contrived (I am being polite), sometimes flawed.

It is clear that the international licence racket abroad, offered with a one-year limit, for the suckers (AKA sheep), and the contrived method to get a DL here, are both examples of laws that are arbitrary, contrived, and flawed. (The bureaucracy is the flaw in the latter!) Most foreigners have a bona fide licence that is much more difficult to pass the test for. It should be accepted anywhere and, in Thailand, especially, when you see how the locals drive. If I am allowed to drive legally in Canada with it, I should be allowed to drive legally anywhere (especially after a 30-year accident-free record). Sure, there are small differences (signs, ...), but I never had a problem driving here and I NEVER look at the signs (primarily because I would have an accident if I had to spend the time decyphering what they meant). Am I an outlier? I don't think so. Sure, I could learn the language. Frankly, there are other more important and interesting matters to attend to in the world than to learn another language, especially when the locals use a dialect! smile.png

What sanctimonious claptrap to justify sheer laziness -- first in not bothering to obtain a TDL and second in not taking the time and making the effort to learn the Thai language.

As I mentioned, I have a TDL and I never intend to drive in this country and my ability to read Thai signs has helped those I'm riding with to avoid delays at road closures and detours.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

It is clear that the international licence racket abroad, offered with a one-year limit, for the suckers (AKA sheep), and the contrived method to get a DL here, are both examples of laws that are arbitrary, contrived, and flawed. (The bureaucracy is the flaw in the latter!) Most foreigners have a bona fide licence that is much more difficult to pass the test for. It should be accepted anywhere and, in Thailand, especially, when you see how the locals drive. If I am allowed to drive legally in Canada with it, I should be allowed to drive legally anywhere (especially after a 30-year accident-free record). Sure, there are small differences (signs, ...), but I never had a problem driving here and I NEVER look at the signs (primarily because I would have an accident if I had to spend the time decyphering what they meant). Am I an outlier? I don't think so. Sure, I could learn the language. Frankly, there are other more important and interesting matters to attend to in the world than to learn another language, especially when the locals use a dialect! smile.png

Beautifully worded, very well written, but absolutely ridiculous in premise.

It makes NO DIFFERENCE if the local laws are flawed or not. None. Just as it makes no difference if your Canadian laws are flawed or not. I'm sure we are in agreement that many of them are. But when you are in Canada, you either obey the laws or you get penalized if caught violating them. A Canadian police officer is not going to debate the merits of the violation. He's simply going to issue a summons to you. If you are in Canada, you are required to obey Canadian laws or pay the penalty.

Thailand is no different. If you are in Thailand, you are required to obey Thai laws. The Thai police officer is not going to debate the merits of the violation. He's simply going to issue a summons to you.

It makes absolutely no difference what so ever if the laws are realistic or absurd, valid or not, fair, sensible, logical, illogical, or any of the modifiers that you may wish to apply. The fact is, they are the laws of this country. You do have a choice... You can obey them or you can violate them. That's up to you. But don't whine like a little girl if the policeman writes you a summons for breaking his country's laws. You did have a choice.

I frequently avoid this easily; simply drive straight through the intersection (if a left turn puts you on Huay Kaew where the trap is). You drive straight for a few seconds, make a left turn, follow the road, and your out just past Salsa Kitchen. Its actually faster if the traffic light is red, and if theres a lot of traffic it is often because of those police checkpoints.

• Like 1

Maybe Winnie doesn't know the route, but one certainly has to appreciate the lengths to which some others above apparently do go to avoid the possibility of being snagged. rolleyes.gifAt least no one has (yet) suggested the helmetless young Thai approach, which is to come to a screeching halt, do a U-turn and rfetreat against one-way traffic! w00t.gif

Oh dear, Winnie, I spoke too soon !!! You apparently are so acculturated it does not bother you to motor along against traffic even in the dank bowels of Kad Suan Kaew! Fascinated with all of the dodges posted to avoid police "traps," I checked the routes out. This Google maps will not do for you, and who has GPS on a bike, anyway? What better to do on a lazy afternoon!

I followed your careful routing --- sort of --- and ended up in a women's lingerie sale at the base of one of Central's elevators. Fortunately, since there seemed to be a lot of screaming and yelling going on outside in the atrium, I was able to get my bike out of there without anyone much noticing and got two lovely pair of panties and matching bras at sensational prices for my squeeze!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Insiders know the secret pass trough underneath Kad Suan Keaw, take the soi just before the Ram Hospital go down inside the parking lot learn the right way and you get back up at the other side. Did it hundreds of times. alt=laugh.png>

I frequently avoid this easily; simply drive straight through the intersection (if a left turn puts you on Huay Kaew where the trap is). You drive straight for a few seconds, make a left turn, follow the road, and your out just past Salsa Kitchen. Its actually faster if the traffic light is red, and if theres a lot of traffic it is often because of those police checkpoints.

Is this really easier than spending 20 minutes renewing a Thai Driver's License once every five years?

• Like 1

Is this really easier than spending 20 minutes renewing a Thai Driver's License once every five years?

Twenty minutes???? the movie is much longer than that.

Bring a book to read. It's not the same video that you need to watch when you first get your license. Much shorter. And it's once in five years, not every time you drive around the Huay Kaew intersection. If you can sit in Immigration for an hour or two every 90 days, you can certainly sit in the DMV for an hour every five years.

Edited by FolkGuitar

The movies I have watched were never short. When I got my temporary license there was only a color blind test.

I don't go to Immigration for 90 day reports.

I also don't take shortcuts to avoid police checkpoints.

The movies I have watched were never short. When I got my temporary license there was only a color blind test.

BFD! The movie takes something like an hour, and it is actually well-done for that sort of thing in English.

BFD! The movie takes something like an hour, and it is actually well-done for that sort of thing in English.

Thank you for supporting my comment that the movies are longer than 20 minutes.

I wasn't complaining, I was pointing out that the video is not 20 minutes.

Thank you for supporting my comment that the movies are longer than 20 minutes.

I wasn't complaining, I was pointing out that the video is not 20 minutes.

20 minutes or an hour... What difference does it make?

Done once every FIVE YEARS it's certainly a lot less trouble than having to take circuitous routes out of fear of being trapped by a police road block.

Folkguitar,

The difference is the OP initially thought he could not get a Thai Driving permit/license. It was noted in a post from a moderator that he could get a driving license with his type of visa. Part of getting the license is watching a movie, which you imply is 20 minutes to get a Thai driving license....... a wrong fact - you like to cite facts in many of your posts. I think one of your posts said it takes a day to get the license, then in a subsequent post you indicate "spending 20 minutes" in getting a license.

I was pointing out, just in case the OP decides to apply for a license, that he would not be watching a short video.

So to the OP...... check the pinned topic and it tells how to get a license.

I'll repeat...

20 minutes or an hour... Or even four hours. What difference does it make?

Done once every FIVE YEARS it's certainly a lot less trouble than having to take circuitous routes out of fear of being trapped by a police road block, which was the significant part of my post, not the time spent doing it.

• Like 1

even if someone had done nothing wrong, and was wearing a helmet, and you went through the hassle to get a thai DL, why risk going through a police checkpoint? They are there to take your money and are not the most honest of people at times, I have heard stories of planting drugs etc.

even if someone had done nothing wrong, and was wearing a helmet, and you went through the hassle to get a thai DL, why risk going through a police checkpoint? They are there to take your money and are not the most honest of people at times, I have heard stories of planting drugs etc.

Don't believe all the stories you hear.

I think they've gone overboard on the possibility of the cops planting drugs on you at a checkpoint.

Otherwise, your post is spot on.

Would you tell us how many times you've personally been stopped and fined when NOT breaking any Thai laws.

• Like 1

Would you tell us how many times you've personally been stopped and fined when NOT breaking any Thai laws.

Speaking for myself after many years driving in Thailand - never been fined if not breaking any law. Trouble is that I have been fined for very minor infractions, decided by the police officer not having much 'fine' trade.

I never have either. 15 years of driving through police checkpoints. I've been stopped twice (I can't remember any more) in all those years, but always passed through without a problem. Maybe when I'm here longer I'll start noticing it...

These days there are a LOT more police checkpoints being set up, and not just on major streets. Lately there's been on set up on a back street in Santithem, catching no-helmet riders left and right. And the police have been setting up 'back-up' stations 200m past the main checkpoint to grab riders who try to zoom past, as well as check points on near-by 'alternate routes' to catch those who make a quick U-turn and go down a side street.

One would think that after getting stopped a few times, and having to pay out a couple of hundred baht, that these people would learn that it really doesn't pay in the long run to break the law. Obviously not!