Martial Law lifted in Thailand

webfact

But doesn't this mean that between now and until the new constitution becomes effective/implemented, there is no Martial Law? Right? No wait ok I didn't read post #30 until now, ok so that explains it, thanks.

But then again that brings up the question if article 44 will be included in the new constitution?? Because the new constitution is "officially" not solely written by the military??

Edited by AlQaholic

>>The populist leader or parties allied to him have won every election since 2001 and the Bangkok elite -- along with the military and swathes of the judiciary -- have spent years trying to unpick their electoral prowess -- culminating in last year's takeover.<<

Interesting reading for the junta-lovers...............coffee1.gif

You are supporting people and a system belonging in a time long gone by!!!

So lying, cheating, making false irresponsible promises, buying votes and duping people is electoral prowess!!! Furthermore, democracy always ends at the ballot box for your lot as it seems to be a free for all once they have burgled their way into power. The 'democracy' handbook is thrown out as it is not needed any more.

You can only claim democracy once you have won a free and fair election (such as under the revised electoral system in the new charter) and abide by democratic laws and rules thereafter for the period of your tenure.

Don't worry, if, as I suspect, it is going to be nigh impossible for Pheu Thai related parties to win an election through FIXING the rules in such a way to prevent them.

Then as soon as you lot start bleating that the rules are unfair and biased against you then I will come straight back and tell you "they were democratically elected by the people" and you cannot raise a single word of complaint!!wai2.gif.

Seriously mate, almost anything must be better than this:>>>>>In its place, though, the junta invoked a special security measure called Article 44 in the military-imposed interim constitution that gives Prayuth the power to override any branch of government in the name of national security, and absolves him of any legal responsibility for his actions.<<<< Qoute from 2nd OP

I like the guy , he has made some solid changes in the short term. However I get the feeling this is not great news for foreigners as he looks like the sort of chap that would suddenly announce that owning property in a business name is illegal..

"Designated military personnel were granted powers to seize assets, to block media from reporting or publishing, and to detain suspects up to seven days, the statement said."

CNN

Edited by mcfish

By my understanding section 44 is far worse than Martial Law if this is correct Thailand is going backwards !!!!!

worse for who ?

do you want to compare the last 5 months with the same period 2013 -14 see if you can spot the difference

I'll give you a head start - the Thaksin funded red terrorist are no longer murdering people on the streets

So, you are saying that martial law has not be lifted or much more stringent measures need to be put into place ? You are probably right and insurance carriers should not change anything, as only definitions have changed, but the same laws are in effect. We shouldn't mislead, correct ?

I got in Thailand on 27/09/2558. I asked about 20 people about the junta and martial law. Out of that 20 people--NO ONE knew there was a junta in control, that there was another coup, that martial law was in effect or that there was a curfew. You ain't in Kansas anymore. You are in the wonderful Kingdom of Thailand.

Did you know these people before?

Under the current circumstances, I would not necessarily comment on politics, if a stranger is asking me.

• Like 2

The guy who runs the Pattaya one TV program had a birthday party on the dark side of Pattaya the other day and it was raided by the police. Roumor has it anyone who wanted to leave had to pay up to 5000 baht just to get out of the door. Dont know who he has upset!!! Probably the guy with the glasses on who runs the other channel.

>>The populist leader or parties allied to him have won every election since 2001 and the Bangkok elite -- along with the military and swathes of the judiciary -- have spent years trying to unpick their electoral prowess -- culminating in last year's takeover.<<

So lying, cheating, making false irresponsible promises, buying votes and duping people is electoral prowess!!! Furthermore, democracy always ends at the ballot box for your lot as it seems to be a free for all once they have burgled their way into power. The 'democracy' handbook is thrown out as it is not needed any more.

You can only claim democracy once you have won a free and fair election (such as under the revised electoral system in the new charter) and abide by democratic laws and rules thereafter for the period of your tenure.

Don't worry, if, as I suspect, it is going to be nigh impossible for Pheu Thai related parties to win an election through FIXING the rules in such a way to prevent them.

Then as soon as you lot start bleating that the rules are unfair and biased against you then I will come straight back and tell you "they were democratically elected by the people" and you cannot raise a single word of complaint!!wai2.gif.

Lying, cheating and misleading are common mantras from you in your constant tirades against the Shinawatras. If Thailand still uses military courts, but then calls an end to "martial law", and then enacts laws as repressive as those under martial law, why would the junta do that ? Is that to get insurance carriers to start underwriting policies in Thailand ? Wouldn't that be considered misleading ? Please help us understand.

The guy who runs the Pattaya one TV program had a birthday party on the dark side of Pattaya the other day and it was raided by the police. Roumor has it anyone who wanted to leave had to pay up to 5000 baht just to get out of the door. Dont know who he has upset!!! Probably the guy with the glasses on who runs the other channel.

If this is true its unfortunate for them because I bet none were carrying there full passports which meant 5000bht or a trip to the police station

Lying, cheating and misleading are common mantras from you in your constant tirades against the Shinawatras. If Thailand still uses military courts, but then calls an end to "martial law", and then enacts laws as repressive as those under martial law, why would the junta do that ? Is that to get insurance carriers to start underwriting policies in Thailand ? Wouldn't that be considered misleading ? Please help us understand.

My tirades against the Shinawatra are justified and will continue as long as certain people insist that these governments were democratic.

Marshal law/article 44. is needed to assert powers to arrest wrongdoers, agitators and those that disseminate false or distorted information designed to mislead the public. It helps in two main ways - it restores confidence to business and tourism related agencies as it sounds less threatening than marshal law even though it (article 44.) is only slightly less restrictive than marshal law in the way in which it is going to be applied.

It also allows the PM to introduce emergency laws to aide solving the problems of the fisheries, people trafficking and aviation industry that were ignored by previous governments. Surely, you are not going to tell me that that is not a good thing!!

This 'having absolute power' thing is a complete red herring that seems to be attracting an unwarranted hysterical reaction!!

He should cut out the joking charade as Human rights lawyers brains have not been wired to accept jokes and they take everything literally - this is the only criticism that I hold against Prayuth as he leaves himself open to the doubters.

• Like 1

I got in Thailand on 27/09/2558. I asked about 20 people about the junta and martial law. Out of that 20 people--NO ONE knew there was a junta in control, that there was another coup, that martial law was in effect or that there was a curfew. You ain't in Kansas anymore. You are in the wonderful Kingdom of Thailand.

Under the current circumstances, I would not necessarily comment on politics, if a stranger is asking me.

A prudent move. You never know who you might be talking to. At a New Year's eve party, I was harshly criticising what was going on to who I subsequently found out was Suthep's nephew. Just as well he liked me...

• Like 1

A prudent move. You never know who you might be talking to. At a New Year's eve party, I was harshly criticising what was going on to who I subsequently found out was Suthep's nephew. Just as well he liked me...

Im pretty sure he wasn't asking Thais. Your move was very foolish indeed

My tirades against the Shinawatra are justified and will continue as long as certain people insist that these governments were democratic.

Marshal law/article 44. is needed to assert powers to arrest wrongdoers, agitators and those that disseminate false or distorted information designed to mislead the public. It helps in two main ways - it restores confidence to business and tourism related agencies as it sounds less threatening than marshal law even though it (article 44.) is only slightly less restrictive than marshal law in the way in which it is going to be applied.

It also allows the PM to introduce emergency laws to aide solving the problems of the fisheries, people trafficking and aviation industry that were ignored by previous governments. Surely, you are not going to tell me that that is not a good thing!!

This 'having absolute power' thing is a complete red herring that seems to be attracting an unwarranted hysterical reaction!!

He should cut out the joking charade as Human rights lawyers brains have not been wired to accept jokes and they take everything literally - this is the only criticism that I hold against Prayuth as he leaves himself open to the doubters.

Are the military courts still in place of civilian courts, yes or no ?

Edited by yellowboat

And proud of it often seems!

"which has seen civil liberties eroded since the army declared martial law and seized power from an elected government last May." - THIS has got to be the biggest "fib" ever, since that so-called "democratically elected" government was wrought with Vote-Buying on an embarrassingly huge scale; Intimidation; so-called "Benficial Scheme Promises to benefit those population-groups who are vast in number, but very limited in understanding - and much more underhanded tactics ! ! If THAT is "democratically elected" - then pigs will soon start to fly . . . . . . .

Now; apparently, Thailand is "suffocating under a tough Military Junta" who has been "systematically curtailing democratic freedoms" . . . . well; I have lived/worked in this wonderful country for a little over 22 years and I can assure you that I am not suffocating; in fact - this country has never felt better and the only people who are feeling some pressure are those who strive to benefit (big time) over the backs of the working class in Thailand.

A number of years ago, I was asked what the best manner of "Government" would be ( for any nation) and the answer is very simple; it's called:

"a Benevolent Dictator"

and voila; here we have a very brave Thai' General, who stood-up in the middle of a very dire (for the country and its future !) situation and slammed his fist on the table and said: "Enough is Enough" ! ! !

General Prayuth is NOT out to, and/or motivated by GREED, but by the desire of ALL thinking Thai' people, to bring this country into the 21st Century in terms of re-organizing this society to where there's Equality, Freedom-from-Corruption and; Fair-Laws & Fair Legal- Institutions;- ultimately a DEMOCRACY to best serve the good people of Thailand !

General Prayuth and his efforts to achieve these goals (extremely difficult as it may seem !) is supported by the vast majority of Thais - and I, for one, salute him !

wai.gif

I bet you sucked up to your teachers in school too.

How do you know the General is not out to, and/or motivated by greed? Check out his wealth !!!

• Like 1

Book a new voyage!!! Why? I am not the one worried, you are.

It all boils down to one thing and one thing only - he is in charge whether you like it or not. He can do what he wants and you cannot (nobody in fact) can do a thing about it. Judge him after his work is done. Let's see if he executes anybody or imprisons anyone because they don't like his haircut or his dress sense.

In the mean time, relax and unwind and don't get carried away with the hysterical hype that he is going to turn into a dictator!!

• Like 1

It all boils down to one thing and one thing only - he is in charge whether you like it or not. He can do what he wants and you cannot (nobody in fact) can do a thing about it. Judge him after his work is done. Let's see if he executes anybody or imprisons anyone because they don't like his haircut or his dress sense.

In the mean time, relax and unwind and don't get carried away with the hysterical hype that he is going to turn into a dictator!!

Or if he misleads people saying martial law has been lifted, but civilians are still subject to military law ? Are civilians still subject to military courts; yes or no ? I challenge you to answer Mr. Lucky !

Or if he misleads people saying martial law has been lifted, but civilians are still subject to military law ? Are civilians still subject to military courts; yes or no ? I challenge you to answer Mr. Lucky !

Where is the challenge? If you deem it to be a challenge then I accept wholeheartedly.

It states that people are still subject to military law and the military courts.

He has eased the restrictions actually by invoking article 44 as before (under marshal law) there was no right of appeal whereas now you can appeal to the higher courts so it is a bit more lenient now!!