Martial Law lifted in Thailand

webfact

same old story will go on -this country was never a true democracy

Which County is? When the system only hears the voices of the bankers and big corporations then how is that considered democracy?

That in NO way excuses what you support here: endless martial law and zero civil rights for anyone. That is what you support so vocally here each day, all justified by your own personal hatreds. There's no excuse for your excuses any longer, frankly.

Edited by No Apologist

I don't mean the physical vote buying but the irresponsible populist policies (that rightly led to her downfall).

If I am a farang I could hardly be a high ranking Thai officer could I, think about it.

My opinions are based on common sense and an informed judgement as to what the Thai political system is all about and from what has gone on before.

What do you base yours on? is it down to who can rant and sneer the most about the general using some baseless arguments and false propaganda?

You have a way to go to compete with some of the posters on here - that is a positive thing by the way.

• Like 1

Book a new voyage!!! Why? I am not the one worried, you are.

It all boils down to one thing and one thing only - he is in charge whether you like it or not. He can do what he wants and you cannot (nobody in fact) can do a thing about it. Judge him after his work is done. Let's see if he executes anybody or imprisons anyone because they don't like his haircut or his dress sense.

In the mean time, relax and unwind and don't get carried away with the hysterical hype that he is going to turn into a dictator!!

Or if he misleads people saying martial law has been lifted, but civilians are still subject to military law ? Are civilians still subject to military courts; yes or no ? I challenge you to answer Mr. Lucky !

Where is the challenge? If you deem it to be a challenge then I accept wholeheartedly.

It states that people are still subject to military law and the military courts.

He has eased the restrictions actually by invoking article 44 as before (under marshal law) there was no right of appeal whereas now you can appeal to the higher courts so it is a bit more lenient now!!

I think you forgot. Article 44 makes him the highest court to appeal to. cheesy.gif ... Yep, that sure eases restrictions. You need to add a headlight to your white stick. thumbsup.gif

Good. The squabbling, bickering, money grabbing, corrupt excuses and cronies we have here for politicians have had their chances (many times) and blew it BIG TIME. They just didn't get it!!

Som nam bloody naa.

Normally kool aid drinking farang responses and mentality if you're not with us, you're against us, and anyone who's against us is a red supporter.

I love how simple these people make life out to be sitting there bored out their faces day in day out.

Me I'm at work and have my mobile with me, sitting in a car park in an oil refinery waiting for my clients to finish in another 10 hours!!

I'm also willing to bet that NONE of these kool aid drinkers lives were so bad under the previous government either because it it was, they'd have left, they just like bitching and moaning because it's what bored people excel at the most!

I wish I could feel all warm and fuzzy inside it must be a great feeling that life is so much better now under the Junta than it was last year or the past 10 !!

What exactly is so different for them? Please don't hit me with there's nobody getting killed by terrorist crap because they are still getting killed by terrorist in the south, you see I'm not selective about terrorists or terrorism either.

Please don't use Bangkok is safer now too, correct me if I'm wrong, but we're ALL foreigners not warned about keeping away from these areas by their own and the Thai authorities, so any kool aid drinkers who frequented thse locations was doing so on his own accord and therefore putting himself at risk and paying lip service to the warnings.

Please, tell me what was so horrendous for you and your standard of living in the past couple of years, that it's like a new lease of life now?

The bloody electricity still goes off in my village periodically same as it did last year and the year before and the year before that too. I'm still able to buy all the things I could in the shops the same as I did 2-3 years ago, I'm at a loss as to what really was so bad for those bitter farangs that rhwir lives were so effected by living under the pervious administration ?

Why can't you just accept that we have all chosen to live in another country under different rules of law, and have had to accept these no matter how asinine or stupid they are?

No country is perfect otherwise the worlds population would be living in it, we all make the most of where we lay our hats, sometimes it's more difficult than others, but it's our choice to do so, we can move about as freely as we want.

I don't like where the junta is heading, I don't believe in all their propaganda the same as I didn't believe the PTPs or the PDRCs , I still believe that the bigger picture is one were not allowed to discuss, I think there more dark days to come, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm respecting the laws and respect that I'm a guest in their country and if they so wish, can stop me from entering, as can any other country in the world.

Life is too short to have so much hate and bitterness within, maybe some shouid try becoming monks and buhhdists for a while and chill for a bit? ?

• Like 2

>>The populist leader or parties allied to him have won every election since 2001 and the Bangkok elite -- along with the military and swathes of the judiciary -- have spent years trying to unpick their electoral prowess -- culminating in last year's takeover.<<

Interesting reading for the junta-lovers...............coffee1.gif

You are supporting people and a system belonging in a time long gone by!!!

Interesting reading - from AFP ? 555 rolleyes.gif Sure if you like fairy stories.

They still keep insisting Thaksin was toppled by a coup. Never mention he dissolved parliament following all the rows about how he changed the law to avoid tax the day before he sold the his family business, and then resigned the caretaker PM role. Then changed his mind and took the caretaker role back, without any authority to do so, and refused to go, or hold a new election until he was sure he could rig it. Also, never mention he's a convicted criminal fugitive on the lam with 15 more serious charges waiting in the courts. The prefer to frame him as the "poor people's hero" as it suits their agenda.

Don't disagree with your comments about time gone by. Thailand always reminds me of Victorian Europe with the elite hiso's being the aristocracy who controlled everything and seemed above the law; and the rich industrialists and merchants who thoroughly exploited their workers and the poor. Time for a change - but the Shin family get rich quick billionaire club is no answer.

• Like 1

>>The populist leader or parties allied to him have won every election since 2001 and the Bangkok elite -- along with the military and swathes of the judiciary -- have spent years trying to unpick their electoral prowess -- culminating in last year's takeover.<<

Interesting reading - from AFP ? 555 rolleyes.gif Sure if you like fairy stories.

They still keep insisting Thaksin was toppled by a coup. Never mention he dissolved parliament following all the rows about how he changed the law to avoid tax the day before he sold the his family business, and then resigned the caretaker PM role. Then changed his mind and took the caretaker role back, without any authority to do so, and refused to go, or hold a new election until he was sure he could rig it. Also, never mention he's a convicted criminal fugitive on the lam with 15 more serious charges waiting in the courts. The prefer to frame him as the "poor people's hero" as it suits their agenda.

Don't disagree with your comments about time gone by. Thailand always reminds me of Victorian Europe with the elite hiso's being the aristocracy who controlled everything and seemed above the law; and the rich industrialists and merchants who thoroughly exploited their workers and the poor. Time for a change - but the Shin family get rich quick billionaire club is no answer.

By focusing continually on past governments as the excuse for anything currently, people willfully allow great injustices to go overlooked right in front of them. The argument that anything which hurts your enemy is a good thing, is extremely childish and short sighted.

Edited by No Apologist
  • Like 1

It all boils down to one thing and one thing only - he is in charge whether you like it or not. He can do what he wants and you cannot (nobody in fact) can do a thing about it. Judge him after his work is done. Let's see if he executes anybody or imprisons anyone because they don't like his haircut or his dress sense.

In the mean time, relax and unwind and don't get carried away with the hysterical hype that he is going to turn into a dictator!!

He just sentenced an old man to 25 years in prison yesterday (reduced from 50 years), because he didn't like the humorous captions on his facebook photos. That's quite literal, not my 'opinion'. The old man's lawyer wasn't allowed in the courtroom, so he had no representation of any kind. That was widely reported yesterday. I understand that you simply don't care about other human beings (that shows in all your comments), but others do to varying degrees. I also don't have to agree with someone politically to care about their safety and well being, in a general way. And clearly, you aren't that mature.

Edited by No Apologist

Normally kool aid drinking farang responses and mentality if you're not with us, you're against us, and anyone who's against us is a red supporter.

I love how simple these people make life out to be sitting there bored out their faces day in day out.

Me I'm at work and have my mobile with me, sitting in a car park in an oil refinery waiting for my clients to finish in another 10 hours!!

I'm also willing to bet that NONE of these kool aid drinkers lives were so bad under the previous government either because it it was, they'd have left, they just like bitching and moaning because it's what bored people excel at the most!

I wish I could feel all warm and fuzzy inside it must be a great feeling that life is so much better now under the Junta than it was last year or the past 10 !!

What exactly is so different for them? Please don't hit me with there's nobody getting killed by terrorist crap because they are still getting killed by terrorist in the south, you see I'm not selective about terrorists or terrorism either.

Please don't use Bangkok is safer now too, correct me if I'm wrong, but we're ALL foreigners not warned about keeping away from these areas by their own and the Thai authorities, so any kool aid drinkers who frequented thse locations was doing so on his own accord and therefore putting himself at risk and paying lip service to the warnings.

Please, tell me what was so horrendous for you and your standard of living in the past couple of years, that it's like a new lease of life now?

The bloody electricity still goes off in my village periodically same as it did last year and the year before and the year before that too. I'm still able to buy all the things I could in the shops the same as I did 2-3 years ago, I'm at a loss as to what really was so bad for those bitter farangs that rhwir lives were so effected by living under the pervious administration ?

Why can't you just accept that we have all chosen to live in another country under different rules of law, and have had to accept these no matter how asinine or stupid they are?

No country is perfect otherwise the worlds population would be living in it, we all make the most of where we lay our hats, sometimes it's more difficult than others, but it's our choice to do so, we can move about as freely as we want.

I don't like where the junta is heading, I don't believe in all their propaganda the same as I didn't believe the PTPs or the PDRCs , I still believe that the bigger picture is one were not allowed to discuss, I think there more dark days to come, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm respecting the laws and respect that I'm a guest in their country and if they so wish, can stop me from entering, as can any other country in the world.

Life is too short to have so much hate and bitterness within, maybe some shouid try becoming monks and buhhdists for a while and chill for a bit? ?

Indeed Haggis, very rarely are things easily polarized into black and white and different extremes of the spectrum.

I would suggest most expat's haven't been greatly affected by the change. Even during the protests and the following military presence on the streets, the inconvenience wasn't huge, unless you lived close by an area affected or traveled through regularly. I attended some conferences at the UN complex during the protests and really the inconvenience was not that great, although better without it of course.

It becomes a matter of our feelings and views on life. I don't like PTP because they, I feel, betrayed the Thai people and were more concerned in lining their own pockets, getting a dubious amnesty bill through, and changing the process to remove checks and balances and create a system which they could manipulate more easily to retain a hold on power. The constant, and very obvious, lying, to me, showed they completely lacked ethics, morals and treated the people with a patronizing contempt. How any country could tolerate a government effectively handing control to a non elected criminal fugitive is unbelievable.

All of this does not mean I'm a supporter of Juntas. I don't like a military backed government that deprives people of the right to vote, restricts free speech (as PTP also did btw) and doesn't seem to want to be as transparent as the said they would. I have concerns about the pace of reforms, the directions they will go in, and the eventual outcome. One thing for sure, I really would like to see Thailand become a country where all have opportunity, justice - the same for everybody, and a more evenly distributed wealth profile. That would have been unlikely under any of the previous regimes, including all the Thaksin proxy parties who were supposedly going to help the poor. (Note the increase in Shin family wealth compared to average Thai family since 2001). Whether the Junta will implement changes that do lead to improvements for all, or just the selected chosen few as previous regimes remains to be seen,

Sadly many monks and Bhudists don't seem any better than those in politics so not sure becoming one would lead to a more relaxed being.

I can't speak for others, but I try to tolerate the frustrations and imperfections where ever I live, although commenting on them, as with all free speech, should not be restricted.

As a generalization, very generalized, for whatever reasons, my gut feel is that the current government are less corrupt and moving forwards more than the previous one, that was completely stagnant apart from skimming and corrupt activities, In what direction they are traveling as yet to be seen.

ps - Stay safe, keep your powder dry and your edges sharp!

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

He just sentenced an old man to 25 years in prison yesterday (reduced from 50 years), because he didn't like the humorous captions on his facebook photos. That's not an exaggeration, that was widely reported yesterday. Are you not aware of those news stories, or are you just purposely ignoring them? Let me guess; you'll quickly find another excuse as to why it doesn't matter and an old man deserves to die alone in hell for writing anything you don't like. That is your position here, and it's extremely troubling.

He never sentenced anyone - he isn't a judge.

The law on LM is currently the law. The legal process was followed through, as it always is on LM which shows how seriously it is taken here. Thais know that and so do foreigners.

People may feel that these laws are unjust, need changing etc - but until that happens they are still the law,

I cannot find one single report from yesterday that says the PM just sentenced an old man to 25 years in prison. As you state he did, and it was "widely reported" can you please provide links to such. If not, please retract your false statement, as knowingly making false statements and presenting them as fact is against TVF rules.

Indeed Haggis, very rarely are things easily polarized into black and white and different extremes of the spectrum.

I would suggest most expat's haven't been greatly affected by the change. Even during the protests and the following military presence on the streets, the inconvenience wasn't huge, unless you lived close by an area affected or traveled through regularly. I attended some conferences at the UN complex during the protests and really the inconvenience was not that great, although better without it of course.

It becomes a matter of our feelings and views on life. I don't like PTP because they, I feel, betrayed the Thai people and were more concerned in lining their own pockets, getting a dubious amnesty bill through, and changing the process to remove checks and balances and create a system which they could manipulate more easily to retain a hold on power. The constant, and very obvious, lying, to me, showed they completely lacked ethics, morals and treated the people with a patronizing contempt. How any country could tolerate a government effectively handing control to a non elected criminal fugitive is unbelievable.

All of this does not mean I'm a supporter of Juntas. I don't like a military backed government that deprives people of the right to vote, restricts free speech (as PTP also did btw) and doesn't seem to want to be as transparent as the said they would. I have concerns about the pace of reforms, the directions they will go in, and the eventual outcome. One thing for sure, I really would like to see Thailand become a country where all have opportunity, justice - the same for everybody, and a more evenly distributed wealth profile. That would have been unlikely under any of the previous regimes, including all the Thaksin proxy parties who were supposedly going to help the poor. (Note the increase in Shin family wealth compared to average Thai family since 2001). Whether the Junta will implement changes that do lead to improvements for all, or just the selected chosen few as previous regimes remains to be seen,

Sadly many monks and Bhudists don't seem any better than those in politics so not sure becoming one would lead to a more relaxed being.

I can't speak for others, but I try to tolerate the frustrations and imperfections where ever I live, although commenting on them, as with all free speech, should not be restricted.

As a generalization, very generalized, for whatever reasons, my gut feel is that the current government are less corrupt and moving forwards more than the previous one, that was completely stagnant apart from skimming and corrupt activities, In what direction they are traveling as yet to be seen.

ps - Stay safe, keep your powder dry and your edges sharp!

Now that sir is one of the best posts I've read on here for a long time and 110% agree with what you've said.

By focusing continually on past governments as the excuse for anything currently, people willfully allow great injustices to go overlooked right in front of them. The argument that anything which hurts your enemy is a good thing, is extremely childish and short sighted.

Ah, a new boiler boy. Welcome.

Focusing on the immediate past government is extremely relevant as much of the current mess is their doing.

AFP insist on incorrectly pointing out Thaksin was toppled by a coup, and pointing out the success of all the Thaksin parties in elections . A balanced article may like to mention how many of those parties were dissolved and/or removed due to corruption, a reoccurring process it seems.

Pretending the party you like isn't corrupt and dishonest, and ignoring all their previous transgressions is much more myopic.

Edited by Baerboxer

He just sentenced an old man to 25 years in prison yesterday (reduced from 50 years), because he didn't like the humorous captions on his facebook photos. That's not an exaggeration, that was widely reported yesterday. Are you not aware of those news stories, or are you just purposely ignoring them? Let me guess; you'll quickly find another excuse as to why it doesn't matter and an old man deserves to die alone in hell for writing anything you don't like. That is your position here, and it's extremely troubling.

The law on LM is currently the law. The legal process was followed through, as it always is on LM which shows how seriously it is taken here. Thais know that and so do foreigners.

People may feel that these laws are unjust, need changing etc - but until that happens they are still the law,

I cannot find one single report from yesterday that says the PM just sentenced an old man to 25 years in prison. As you state he did, and it was "widely reported" can you please provide links to such. If not, please retract your false statement, as knowingly making false statements and presenting them as fact is against TVF rules.

That is merely a word game you play there; no, he didn't 'personally' stand there and do it. It was a military court, and he is the head of the military. Are you saying he is not the head of the military now? And while you use the other excuse that LM laws are law (which of course they are, and I'll add that I do respect HRM greatly and have never willfully broken those rules), you fail to mention that sentencing has risen dramatically since the coup, last May. You can try to blame me for that, but that is also widely reported. I merely pointed it out, because it contradicts what you said. It was reported right here on this site, and across the UK, for starters, and I am not responsible for looking up news stories for you. That is your responsibility as the person posting in the first place, to at least know your subject. The man was tried in a military court, and his lawyer was not allowed to be present according to reports. He has no right to appeal, and will now die in prison; for captioning some photos on facebook; that's all. I am no supporter of Thaksin or Yingluck, either, before you even go down that road: I felt they were horribly corrupt. Further, I have NOT presented false information, and your attempts at threatening another commenter for pointing something out to you, is extremely childish.

Edited by No Apologist
  • Like 1

That's the absolutely chepest word game ever; no, he didn't 'personally' stand there and do it. But very factually, LM sentencing has increased significantly since last May. That is also widely reported; I read so just yesterday in numerous sources. It was reported right here on this site for one, and across the UK. I am not responsible for your laziness in looking up news stories for you, either. The man was tried in a military court, and his lawyer was not allowed to be present according to the reports. As he is head of the military (do you need reminding of that, even?) then it's not a far throw to say that 'he' (meaning his colleagues) did so. That is a fact, whether you like hearing it or not. I have NOT knowingly presented false information, and your obvious attempts at threatening another commenter for pointing something out to you is in extremely poor taste.

So, in a nut shell, when you said he sentenced an old man to 25 years, and that it was widely reported - you lied. Or maybe you just made an honest mistake?

Now you're saying you meant that something else, that it was LM sentencing that has increased since last May, which was widely reported.

Hardly close wordings are they? Not easy to get mixed up.

Are you suggesting the PM decides every case and authorizes every sentence? Get real.

I pointed out the forum rules to you as I thought you might be a bit tardy in bothering to read them, being a newbie and so few posts.

Edited by Baerboxer

same old story will go on -this country was never a true democracy

Which County is? When the system only hears the voices of the bankers and big corporations then how is that considered democracy?

Where have you been for the last decade? A system that only hears the voices of banks and big corporations. News Flash its a world wide regular occurance. We are loosing our human rights day by day hour by hour. They want to strip us of all our rights over time and then throw us into the labor pits to toil for our task masters the idle few who will control everything. I am sure in the future they will place their brand on us to show ownership. We will then have come full circle.

P.S. Nary a day goes by where some large corporation is not gobbling up their competitors for billions thanks to all the free money floating around in the system. The US will never increase interest rates because that would also increase the interest that they must pay on the national debt which is huge. A few interest rate increases would send them into financial purgatory as debt payments would increase expedentially. Big business then then merges with said company and through increased synergies lay off large numbers of staff. Soon a few mega corps will control everything. The biggest addition to the bottom line is getting rid of staff. Another scenario is these companies are sitting on so much cash because they are not building and expanding and hiring new workers like they did in the past. Instead they buy their own stock back to decrease the stock float and inflate the performance of their companies. Its all rigged.

That is merely a word game you play there; no, he didn't 'personally' stand there and do it. It was a military court, and he is the head of the military. Are you saying he is not the head of the military now? And while you use the other excuse that LM laws are law (which of course they are, and I'll add that I do respect HRM greatly and have never willfully broken those rules), you fail to mention that sentencing has risen dramatically since the coup, last May. You can try to blame me for that, but that is also widely reported. I merely pointed it out, because it contradicts what you said. It was reported right here on this site, and across the UK, for starters, and I am not responsible for looking up news stories for you. That is your responsibility as the person posting in the first place, to at least know your subject. The man was tried in a military court, and his lawyer was not allowed to be present according to reports. He has no right to appeal, and will now die in prison; for captioning some photos on facebook; that's all. I am no supporter of Thaksin or Yingluck, either, before you even go down that road: I felt they were horribly corrupt. Further, I have NOT presented false information, and your attempts at threatening another commenter for pointing something out to you, is extremely childish.

Ah, you've re-written this post significantly, as I've replied to your original.

Lot of words. But you specifically said the PM sentenced an old man to 25 years and that this fact was widely reported. Do you have any links or are you going to admit this is incorrect.

Your suggestion that I fail to mention something else concerning an increase in LM prosecutions, and that this was widely reported, is sophistry and and attempt at obfuscation.

It is not my responsibility to read your mind and guess what you might have really meant, no matter how abstract, and then look it up references for you.

I didn't threaten you, again your incorrect interpretation, I merely pointed out the forum rules you should be aware of but obviously aren't.

Ah, a new boiler boy. Welcome.

Focusing on the immediate past government is extremely relevant as much of the current mess is their doing.

AFP insist on incorrectly pointing out Thaksin was toppled by a coup, and pointing out the success of all the Thaksin parties in elections . A balanced article may like to mention how many of those parties were dissolved and/or removed due to corruption, a reoccurring process it seems.

Pretending the party you like isn't corrupt and dishonest, and ignoring all their previous transgressions is much more myopic.

I did not, in fact, like the Yingluck government at all. I'm just not immature enough to think that 'whatever' happens next is all justified for that reason.

Lot of words. But you specifically said the PM sentenced an old man to 25 years and that this fact was widely reported. Do you have any links or are you going to admit this is incorrect.

Your suggestion that I fail to mention something else concerning an increase in LM prosecutions, and that this was widely reported, is sophistry and and attempt at obfuscation.

It is not my responsibility to read your mind and guess what you might have really meant, no matter how abstract, and then look it up references for you.

I didn't threaten you, again your incorrect interpretation, I merely pointed out the forum rules you should be aware of but obviously aren't.

A lot of cheap word games, on your part, frankly; always the last resort for a blow hard.

It's 2pm I'll point out, so I'm sure you're running late for your barstool.

"It all boils down to one thing and one thing only - he is in charge whether you like it or not. He can do what he wants and you cannot (nobody in fact) can do a thing about it."

That is only true for the people in Thailand. He fears other countries.

In facing a tier 3 rating human trafficking, he acted. Prior to acting, he wrongfully chastised channel 3 for reporting the story. With unsafe aircraft maintenance, again foreigners voiced concern and he responded.

That's the absolutely chepest word game ever; no, he didn't 'personally' stand there and do it. But very factually, LM sentencing has increased significantly since last May. That is also widely reported; I read so just yesterday in numerous sources. It was reported right here on this site for one, and across the UK. I am not responsible for your laziness in looking up news stories for you, either. The man was tried in a military court, and his lawyer was not allowed to be present according to the reports. As he is head of the military (do you need reminding of that, even?) then it's not a far throw to say that 'he' (meaning his colleagues) did so. That is a fact, whether you like hearing it or not. I have NOT knowingly presented false information, and your obvious attempts at threatening another commenter for pointing something out to you is in extremely poor taste.

So, in a nut shell, when you said he sentenced an old man to 25 years, and that it was widely reported - you lied. Or maybe you just made an honest mistake?

Now you're saying you meant that something else, that it was LM sentencing that has increased since last May, which was widely reported.

Hardly close wordings are they? Not easy to get mixed up.

Are you suggesting the PM decides every case and authorizes every sentence? Get real.

I pointed out the forum rules to you as I thought you might be a bit tardy in bothering to read them, being a newbie and so few posts.

I'll just point out, again, that the man you are saying wasn't responsible for the actions of a military court is, in fact, the head of the military. You actually think that playing words games to prove yourself impervious to mistake is more important than that? That says something about your character, frankly. You're more interested in proving yourself infallible with word games than acknowleding a reality. You also clearly took two distinct statements out of context and put them together to create a false impression of what I said (more word games on your part). My adding that such incidents have risen dramatically since last May (which was widely reported, yes - in the guardian, the independent, and here at TV yesterday alone), is not in any way 'changing the subject' or 'lying' in any way. You simply can't handle anyone contradicting you. And voila, out come the games and accusations from you. That says a lot about how strong your original statement was.

You then say that I supported Yingluck and co. - which I never have, at all - and call me a 'new boiler boy' (or whatever childish term you used exactly), which isn't true either (I simply have a new screen name after a mishap in which I lost my old password). And that I 'lied'? Grow up and show the simply humility to admit (at least privately to yourself) that you were sounding off about things you weren't in full knowledge of; or which you purposely chose to misstate in your rant. You did add a threat, also, by choosing to use the exact wording of the junta (and the things that people should be in fear of), and attributing it to 'forum rules'. That was an attempt at intimidation, yes. I wish you a good and safe evening, but I question the character you're displaying at the moment.

Edited by No Apologist
  • Like 1