Personal Alarms, where can I get one?

HansBlinkers

I have a friend (female) living alone in a condo. There's a man there that gives her the creeps. I suggested keep a personal alarm on her. You know those ones that look like a small radios? But are very load sirens.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

Or any other helpful suggestions on her predicament?

Thanks in Advance.

Fox Dual-tone whistle. VERY loud, made for sporting events, and sold on the second floor of the large stationary/book store next to the UN Irish Pub for about 200 baht.

Wind Storm Whistle. VERY, VERY loud, made for long-distance emergency signaling for scuba divers and boaters, available on line for about $5

As long as these are carried in the hand or worn on a wrist lanyard (rather than dumped into the bottom of a purse) they have excellent deterrent qualities.

• Like 2

If you have a look around Anusarn night market Im sure you will also find lots of other "deterrent" items. Be it pepper spray, loud personal alarms or extendable batons, there is a lot of stuff out there. A possible down side to all this is that said items could be turned against you (If you dont know what youre doing).

I do like FG`s idea of a whistle.....probably a safer option

There is a pocket sized Marine Air Horn available on the internet, and these are really REALLY loud. I used them in the past to stop dogs from charging at my bicycle. It stops them in their tracks when you can 'bark' louder than they can. In fact, these were sold at bike shops and included a handlebar bracket to hold them. But their size makes them a bit inconvenient to carry at all times, same as the pepper sprays, which is where the whistles really come into their own. They can be easily worn on an elastic wrist bracelet, or on a string around the neck.

Any self-defense 'tool' needs to be at hand in order to be effective. A collapsible baton is nice, but if it's inside a purse or pack it's useless. (Also, unless you've been trained to use it, it's not really very effective on one hand or down-right dangerous on the other.) Pepper spray is great if it's in one's hand at the time it's needed, AND the nozzle is pointing in the correct direction AND the wind isn't blowing it back at the user...

Stick with 'pea-less' whistles. Be sure they are 'pea-less.' The ones that have a little pea inside can be 'over-blown' in an emergency situation. (Blow too hard and the pea gets trapped and the whistle makes no sound.) The emergency whistles are a pea-less just for that reason. The harder you blow, the louder the sound.

In any event, to be effective, they have to be at hand. You can't be looking for them in the 1/8 second before an attacker reaches you.

1. If the man is a real danger to her she should move ASAP.

2. If she is a female nut job fixated on some harmless elderly male and desperately seeking attention you should ignore her and warn him.

Not knowing the girl or the guy in question I would suggest chances are 20% danger, 80% nut job.

Based on similar accusations made at random by women against men in the past.

Don t know if blowing a whistle would help,others may just think its a guard

managing traffic, Home Pro has a range of alarms,could be worth a check.

regards worgeordie

That's very true, especially if you blow repeated short blasts. On the other hand I've never heard a traffic guard blow repeated long continuous blasts of 8-10 seconds each. And these emergency whistles are MUCH louder than the ones used by the traffic guards too. Very different sound.

Don t know if blowing a whistle would help,others may just think its a guard

managing traffic, Home Pro has a range of alarms,could be worth a check.

regards worgeordie

That's very true, especially if you blow repeated short blasts. On the other hand I've never heard a traffic guard blow repeated long continuous blasts of 8-10 seconds each. And these emergency whistles are MUCH louder than the ones used by the traffic guards too. Very different sound.

At that point it's the effect on the attacker that counts.....