Is Central now on the tour bus circuit?

steelepulse

I hadn't been to Central in a long time and yesterday arriving at the food court, I thought I was in the PRC. Seemed about 80% of diners there were straight off the tour buses. Are the buffets now too expensive, or just too crowded in Phuket Town. Walking around Central also seemed to show that about 30% of all punters were straight off the tour buses.

So the circuit seems to be latex factories, speedboat rides, Central free air and cheap eats. Any other "attractions" I'm missing on the tour bus circuit?

• Like 1

Yes. They crowd the starbucks chairs but don't buy anything. Starbucks even removed PowerPoint's so they weren't loitering all day charging their phones. The tablespoon restaurant that sits in the middle of the courtyard is giving up and moving to Phuket town. They are sick and tired of Chinese using their chairs and not moving when told it's a restaurant. They just expect to relax and use it as a bus stop.

As long as we are bashing the Chinese, I was a bit shocked to see a bus in front of my local 7/11 two days ago.
Yes, they were Chinese and in there in droves.
I couldn't get in the door because 4 ladies were having a conversation RIGHT in the doorway.
I said: "it's a door folks" quite loud.
They didn't even look at me, just continued blocking and talking.

Rant over.

On the other hand, I guess I've had problems with tourists from just about every country I can think of.
There are good and bad people everywhere.

I won't talk about the Indians. (whoops)

I think that Central is counting on the Chinese tour buses for the future. Why else would they build a huge new mall extension across the road, when their previous expansion (Homeworks building) across the other road turned out to be such a failure a few years back?

From what I've seen, the Chinese tourists go to the beach for about 5 minutes to take some selfies, then its shopping and tours for the rest of their holiday.

Yes. They crowd the starbucks chairs but don't buy anything. Starbucks even removed PowerPoint's so they weren't loitering all day charging their phones. The tablespoon restaurant that sits in the middle of the courtyard is giving up and moving to Phuket town. They are sick and tired of Chinese using their chairs and not moving when told it's a restaurant. They just expect to relax and use it as a bus stop.

Tablespoon is closing ?

Dam , enjoy that place

I think that Central is counting on the Chinese tour buses for the future. Why else would they build a huge new mall extension across the road, when their previous expansion (Homeworks building) across the other road turned out to be such a failure a few years back?

<snip>

- too far to walk to

- difficult to get to by car

- pathetic car parking.