Extending an O visa to bring it in line with contact and work permit

Hi,

I have a rather unusual problem with my Visa and wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and can advise.

I've been in the country on an O visa for over 5 years. Shortly after arrival I got full time employment and had the O visa extended on the basis of a year contract and work permit. The contract runs from July through to June and has been renewed yearly for the last 4 years. So the visa was issed from July through to end June, and matched with my employment contract.

Last year I applied for a new passport from the UK and received it with 10 months remaining on my old passport. I wanted to get the new one in early before changes were made to the system. The old passport expires May 2015.

When I went to immigration last year, with the new and old passport and new contract, they said they would not issue the renewal in the new passport because I was in possession of the old passport. My only option was to extend the visa in the old passport. This they did, but only up to the expiry date of the old passport. ie May 2015.

The following week, I returned to immigration with the new and old passport to transfer the visa across into the new passport. They did this, but even though I'd paid for a year extension, and had a year contract, and a year work permit that expired at the end of June, they would only transfer across onto the new passport a visa expiring in May 2015 (as was issued in the old passport). The Thai staff at my company explained that this would cause me problems in May 2015, but they didn't want to hear anything.

Now, I have a contract that expires at the end of June, a work permit that expires at the end of June and a visa expiring in 4 weeks.

My employer is highly likely to renew my contract in June for another year, but this is just going to put back the issue by a year and I'll face it again in May the next year.

Is there some way that the existing contract and work permit can be used to extend my visa from May - End June to bring it back in line with my work contact? Then in July I can renew for another year.

In a way, I hope no one else has gone through this shit, but on the other hand it would help if they have so that I know the solution. Currently my employer is suggesting that it's goo be complicated.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

"I've been in the country on an O visa for over 5 years" !

​You allmost certainly have not and "Visas" are never transferred to new passports !

​You might have been obtaining "extensions of stay based on working " which are not "Visas" !

Extensions of stay are dependent on the paperwork supplied by the employer , tax records and income .

Best you speak to the boss or his/her Lawyer/HR person !

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

The following week, I returned to immigration with the new and old passport to transfer the visa across into the new passport. They did this, but even though I'd paid for a year extension, and had a year contract, and a year work permit that expired at the end of June, they would only transfer across onto the new passport a visa expiring in May 2015 (as was issued in the old passport).

"They did this, but even though I'd paid for a year extension ..."

You paid for an extension of stay (nothing to do with a visa) and an extension of stay can never go beyond the expiry date of your passport, It would probably have done yourself a favor by getting new passport before applying for the extension of stay.

When you got the new passport they would have transferred the existing extension of stay, a notation of the visa you used to enter and the date you last entered, and any still valid re-entry permit you held. The actual visa is never transferred.

Your next application for an extension of stay can be made, assuming you qualify for it, just before the current 10 month extension expires.

In a way, I hope no one else has gone through this shit,

Many people confuse visas, extensions and the issue of expiring passports and quite a few threads have discussed the same issue of passports expiring and applying for extensions of stay for retirement or marriage or whatever. It might have been useful if you had done a search on TV sooner.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793294-one-year-retirement-extension-with-11-months-validity-left-on-passport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739187-retirement-dependants-passport-expires-before-next-extension-due-needs-an-additional-extension/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721177-extension-non-imm-o-limited-by-passport-duration/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=719797692321a954b0121f94677cfbab&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=expiring%20passport%20extension%20of%20stay&gsc.page=2

Edited by Suradit69

When I went to immigration last year, with the new and old passport and new contract, they said they would not issue the renewal in the new passport because I was in possession of the old passport. My only option was to extend the visa in the old passport. This they did, but only up to the expiry date of the old passport. ie May 2015.

If this exactly what was done it was a mistake by immigration. What immigration office was this?

They should of transferred the stamps to your new passport and then done your new extension in the new passport for an entire year.

Hi Ubonjoe,

What they did is exactly as I described. They refused to listen even though I had both passports in front of me and the contract and work permit.

It was at the immigration department chaengwattana

Probably a mistake by "junior" people, you should have asked to speak to a supervisor.

Show up to transfer stamps only "need letter from embassy".

Once stamps transferred, do the extension.

Edited by paz

Had your old passport been canceled and/or the corners cut off? If this had been done they certainly would not of done the extension in it.

Did you have a letter from the UK embassy requesting immigration to transfer your stamps.