Lg Or Viewsonic Lcd Monitor?

udon

19-inch LCD : "ViewSonic VA1912wb Black 19"" wide-screen LCD display 8ms DVI"

or

19" LCD LG 8ms monitor (L1952S-SF)

I've done a search and only found one thread which didn't apply.

I know that there are a lot of you with experience with LCD monitors, so, which one would you choose?

Forget Dell, they are grossly overpriced In Aus.

Cheers :o

PS. my budget is A$360 the 2 above are in that price range.

Edited by udon

Udon,

I bought LG 1950SQ and am happy with it in every way but one. I think you lose much potential screen space with this 19" because it is virtually square. The Viewsonic looks to be more horizontal and less square and it seems to me the screen space is better utilized for multiple programs operating simultaneously.

I have had Viewsonic in the past and find their product to be of very good quality so I would recommend the Viewsonic just based on the apparent screen size.

Regards,

I have a Samsung 19inch and I am very happy with it... The 920N :o

I also have a Samsung 19 inch (SyncMaster 910T - DVI/VGA Digital) and find image quality exceptional. Very high contrast, bright and crisp text. I've been playing FPS games and there is no latency in the image. I also have a 17 inch LG 786LS next to it operating in dual-monitor mode and the LG looks washed out and fuzzy in comparison.

Between the choices I would probably choose the Viewsonic though mixed reviews.

Review 1

Review 2

Edited by tywais

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to find a ViewSonic dealer in Bangkok and I've so far been unsuccessful. I've walked miles through Pantip Plaza, and the only one I found would only sell me what was on the floor and wouldn't order one and generally seemed disinterested in actually selling anything.

I'm looking for a VP930, but I want to see one before I order one. I don't even know what one costs here in BKK.

Any tips on finding a legitimate ViewSonic dealer?

I've been trying to find a ViewSonic dealer in Bangkok and I've so far been unsuccessful. I've walked miles through Pantip Plaza, and the only one I found would only sell me what was on the floor and wouldn't order one and generally seemed disinterested in actually selling anything.

I'm looking for a VP930, but I want to see one before I order one. I don't even know what one costs here in BKK.

Any tips on finding a legitimate ViewSonic dealer?

This one is an online shop but they have viewsonic thanni

rcm :o

I was told that the majority of LCD monitors come out of the same factory regardless of what name is stamped on them. I have purchased two new ones. I don't remember the name of the first one but the one I currently have is a Vzio. The first one is about 6 years old and my friend still uses it. The Vzio I am using now and it still works great. I paid 9,900 baht for the Vzoi at Lotus a couple of years ago. They are both 15 inch and not the bigger ones.

I was told that the majority of LCD monitors come out of the same factory regardless of what name is stamped on them. I have purchased two new ones. I don't remember the name of the first one but the one I currently have is a Vzio. The first one is about 6 years old and my friend still uses it. The Vzio I am using now and it still works great. I paid 9,900 baht for the Vzoi at Lotus a couple of years ago. They are both 15 inch and not the bigger ones.

There is a kernel of truth to that statement in that there are only a few manufacturers of the LCD panels. However, there are wide differences in the specifications to which these panels are manufactured, hence many, many different models designed to satisfy user needs.

For example, a gaming monitor would have different performance specs than one designed for photographic reproduction. One needs to have a fast response time; the other needs color fidelity. The newest monitors with the fastest response times sometimes have poor text clarity. If you want a monitor to be all things to all users, well that's very expensive, and I don't think is exists in the consumer market.

Some technical reviews of monitors (rather than user's opinions) are available here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/19inch-4.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/27/the...lcd_collection/

These are just a small sampling of monitors, with a bias towards suitable gaming units. To some degree, you get what you pay for.

Yes, as Hurricane says, there are only a few panel manufacturers out there. If you see a monitor with similar specs from two manufacturers, chances are the panel came from the same factory. Of course, there are different grades of panel, and the panel is only one thing in the monitor. There is also the matter of the electronics, which can have quite an effect on how well the panel performs.

• 1 month later...

udon - When comparing price, size and specs, don't forget to also look at the warranty. This can vary widely between various makes and even models of the same manufacturer.

IMHO, a 3 years warranty (both parts & labour) on both the LCD panel and BACKLIGHT should be a minimum. Some mfrs. only warrant their product for 1 year or warrant the LCD screen for 3 years but the BACKLIGHT for only 1 year. Read the warranty thoroughly. Ask questions if all is not clear.

Also, as part of that warranty, there is usually a minimum "dead pixel" count before a warranty replacement kicks in. (Check here for Viewsonic.au out-of-box policy in this matter.)

The following documents one such manufacturers warranty policy, in part:

ViewSonic LCD computer display products purchased on or after June 1, 1999, are warranted for three (3) years for parts, labor and LCD backlight. Excludes ViewSonic LCD display models Optiquest models, Q7b, Q9b, Q171b, Q191wb, Q19wb, VA520, VA521, VA550, VA700, VA720, VA721, VX710, VA800, and VX910 purchased on or after April 1, 2003, which are warranted for one (1) year for parts, labor and LCD backlight. US only, (3) years outside of US. ViewSonic LCD computer display products purchased prior to June 1, 1999, are warranted for three (3) years for parts and labor, one (1) year for LCD backlight.
:D:o:D

good hunting

waldwolf

• 5 weeks later...