Switching from PC to MAC what was hard getting used to?

THAIPHUKET

I work exclusiveley on my lap with my Laptop Acer aspire 1810T. Thinking of switching to MACBOOK Air 11 inch.

To switch systems, guess still not that easy. What I really need is a new , very light lap top. Weight and heat are important. Say 3 hours of light, mainly internet work.

Important= German keyboard, no Thai keys.

Can you share your experience, suggestions?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no experience of the Macbook Air, but I've been using a Macbook Pro for a few years and it's fantastic. Switching isn't a problem as Macs are very user friendly.

Whatever model you choose I recommend to change. Once you go Mac, you never go back!

Is the purpose of 'switching' a desire to have a lighter laptop, or one to get access to Apple OS specific applications?

Lighter laptops similar to the MB Air can be purchased running Windows or Linux OS.

Heck, even the MacBook Air can be set to either run Windows OS directly or via Virtual OS mode.

Other alternatives for light-weight clients include Apple iOS iPads or Android Tablets.

But then I have difficulty completely weening myself from a physical keyboard and mouse for 'real work'.

When changing from Windows to Mac can be a headache as you have to change your way of thinking. Apple-logic is very strange logic something like 'why make it simple if we can make it unnecessarily complicated'.

Macs are friendly, designed for the non tech types. You will probably be happy with it, if all you do is browse on the internet. They are pretty to look at, and some people just get tired of fiddling around with Microsoft bloatware.

Microsoft is for the guys that like to tinker around a lot. Apple kind of drives your bus for you....if you like that.

Edited by slipperylobster

When changing from Windows to Mac can be a headache as you have to change your way of thinking. Apple-logic is very strange logic something like 'why make it simple if we can make it unnecessarily complicated'.

My experience is the polar opposite, Mac's are far more user friendly. Only need to look at the application install process - 'drag an application to your Applications folder' - done.

Thanks for replies. MAC is tempting, little worried about devil in details of switching to Apple OS. Old Window files etc. I detest typing on Pads, I need the haptic feel.

MacAir has 2 Pounds, Retina Eye?? Is it really pleasing, not tiring on my own eyes?

Mac Air a good choice if you are doing a lot of internet surfing or word processing, etc. Light, runs cool and excellent battery life. However, if you are doing vid editing go for the Macbook Pro. However, I think Acer or Asus have a numbe rof similar type light book with solid state drive for probably a lot less money.

Macs are friendly, designed for the non tech types. You will probably be happy with it, if all you do is browse on the internet. They are pretty to look at, and some people just get tired of fiddling around with Microsoft bloatware.

Microsoft is for the guys that like to tinker around a lot. Apple kind of drives your bus for you....if you like that.

Biggest nonsense I have read this week. cheesy.gif

My experience is the polar opposite, Mac's are far more user friendly. Only need to look at the application install process - 'drag an application to your Applications folder' - done.

Absolutely this. Toughest thing about switching to a Mac is you find yourself trying to figure out how to do something in a complicated, Windows-style manner, before realising that an elegant, simple method is staring you in the face.

I switched over from a Windows desktop to iMAC earlier this year.

I'm far from being an Apple fanboy (apart from an old iPod, iMAC is the only other Apple device i've used) but I can't believe the superior quality of the iMac compared to all other Windows PC's i've used over the last 15 years.

In my opinion there is no comparison. I'll never buy another Windows desktop or laptop. With the iMac, the display is excellent, there's no slowing down, no crashing, no blue screen, it's super fast when flicking between tabs in chrome, it's just an excellent machine. Even stuff like the keyboard - it's just much nicer to type on than any other keyboard I've used. That said, I still use a regular mouse, couldn't get the hang of the trackpad and I haven't really made full use of the Apple shortcuts on the keyboard either.

What took the most getting used to for me, was just little things such as the 'X' used to close a window is in a different position on the Mac compared to Windows. It took about a month to properly get used to it but like I say, I'll never go back to Windows now.

no joke.

Apple pretty much discourages any modifications.

That is why I say it is for non tech types. What I am talking about is hardware and firmware.

Also, they like to market their own products...etc.

Non apple products (think of the desktops...changing cards, memory, etc).... have more flexibility, if you are savvy.

I know you can run programs on both...and you can be a professional writer, doctor, engingeer etc..and have either.

I am referring more to the the tech types that like to tinker with the innards, install other operating systems...etc.

Just look at Apple peripherals and obtional equipment...mostly apple products.

What you have..is an Apple...the computer itself...the software...and the peripherals....all tied to the computer itself.

A non apple....could run a multiple set of operating systems....lots of tinkering with the innards available..lots of 3rd party peripherals.... You get the gamet....Toshiba, HP, Lenova, scores of others.

An apple is less confusing....less, tampering...less security risks.. but also not as flexible.

Getting used to not having to shut down the computer, getting used to not needing virus scanners or malware checkers.

The Finder built in file explorer is fairly lame like its Windows equivalent - i recommend Total Finder to fix it. Gives you the option to put folders above files, and double pane option as well as a double tap of the option key to bring the finder window up.

The dock is pretty but not so efficient. I use Dragthing instead.

At least now on a Mac you can drag windows to resize from any side not just the bottom right corner... That was seriously lame.

The trackpad is outstanding - install Better Touch Tool and it is even more useful as you can set more gestures for more actions.

again... it is not windows versus apple, per se.

It is the fact that there is an Apple, then there are almost all other computers (which can run a myriad of operating systems, and utilize tons of third party peripheral equipment and upgrades.

As far as browsing the internet....any decent computer can do that well, regardless of brand or OS....with a fast connection.

Saying an Apple is faster online would depend on your Internet Service. You can buy faster service for any kind of device...

I use Linux for lightening speed (my linux puppy runs in ram .....Apple OS cannot touch it... but my Internet speed does not change.

no joke.

Apple pretty much discourages any modifications.

That is why I say it is for non tech types. What I am talking about is hardware and firmware.

Also, they like to market their own products...etc.

Non apple products (think of the desktops...changing cards, memory, etc).... have more flexibility, if you are savvy.

I know you can run programs on both...and you can be a professional writer, doctor, engingeer etc..and have either.

I am referring more to the the tech types that like to tinker with the innards, install other operating systems...etc.

Just look at Apple peripherals and obtional equipment...mostly apple products.

What you have..is an Apple...the computer itself...the software...and the peripherals....all tied to the computer itself.

A non apple....could run a multiple set of operating systems....lots of tinkering with the innards available..lots of 3rd party peripherals.... You get the gamet....Toshiba, HP, Lenova, scores of others.

An apple is less confusing....less, tampering...less security risks.. but also not as flexible.

That's just nonsense. I use third party peripherals with my Mac. I've installed third party RAM upgrades. Third party SSD drives. I could run Windows or a Linux distro if I wanted to. I can tinker with all manner of 'under the hood' settings to my heart's content. I can't think of a single way in which a PC is more flexible.

Forty years..used 3 apples...probably before you used tinker toys..The original Apple computers (in the eighties) could be opened and tampered with extensively. Then they transformed into what you see today.

Other non Apple PC's (such as those that use towers)....are easily modified at home by individuals that buy graphics cards, sound cards, etc...and just slide them in.

You don't do that anymore with your apples.

pretty basic .... and nothing to get upset about...Just the nature of the beast

Seems your experience isn't very up-to-date.

ok nice guy...show me an up to date Apple computer that I open up at home and slide my new graphics card in.,

'

LOL....

I did not want to pick an argument..but your challenges are very tempting.

read this link and then reply...this is one example of what I am referring to.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-to-upgrade-graphics-card-mac-3456269/

"Macs - and Apple itself - are famously resistant to many forms of user upgrade."

of course your accusations of my inexperience defy the truth in reading. please back something you say up with hard data, as you appear to be bringing nothing to the table.

Sorry, but you're not only giving incorrect advice to the OP, but now you're dragging stuff into the discussion that has no relevance because you want to try and win some sort of argument.

OP, you'd be best off ignoring this guy.