Switching from PC to MAC what was hard getting used to?

THAIPHUKET

Personally have used windows and mac.. mac.. just annoying. First thing I did with my macbook was to put windows on it to make it more usable. I found Mac's like IPhones to be real pushy and restrictive. Mainly because the maker of the device also makes the software. Pc's far more software available and still the main thing. For my work I could never use a mac.

If your good with PC's and understand them.. then there is no need to switch to mac. Macs are fashion items and your limiting yourself if you get one. They are in general more limited as PC's.

Only thing they are know for graphics and DTP.. so if that is your main use.. go mac.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your observations. I made the decision to stick with a Windows Laptop. 3 USB ports are important to me.

One feature I use ever day with my HTC ONE mobile is the Search funktion by Voice. How to know if Windows Laptops

offer VOICE SEARCH too? (very pleased with the Voice recognition)

Thanks for all your observations. I made the decision to stick with a Windows Laptop. 3 USB ports are important to me.

One feature I use ever day with my HTC ONE mobile is the Search funktion by Voice. How to know if Windows Laptops

offer VOICE SEARCH too? (very pleased with the Voice recognition)

Good choice, I was annoyed with my mac-book that it had only a few USB ports.. ended up buying USB hub. But I was pleased with the battery life.. that was one of the reasons for buying it.. a small light computer. Plus when i put windows on it it really became usable (for me). I played around with the Mac OS but got bored with it quite fast.

However this is something that can be learned of course.. but everyone saying how easy a mac is .. not true. At least not if your an experienced PC user. Maybe its easier to learn if you have no computer knowledge before.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-speech-recognition#1TC=windows-7 (windows and speech)

Edited by robblok

I used PCs for years before I got a Mac. Like I said earlier, the hardest thing is 'unlearning' the awkward way Windows deals with some things. Macs are simpler, but that doesn't necessarily equate to easier, especially if you're trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

I used PCs for years before I got a Mac. Like I said earlier, the hardest thing is 'unlearning' the awkward way Windows deals with some things. Macs are simpler, but that doesn't necessarily equate to easier, especially if you're trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

Could be true.. but why unlearn something that has only improved since windows 7.

But I have tried working with a mac, im am expert PC user .. and it was crap. I admit if i had spend a few months behind it I could learn. But why start all that annoyance when PC's now are getting smoother and smoother with the new windows. Or if you want something like a mac.. use linux far more flexible as a mac and based on the same things.

I haven't had a crash or anything like that since I started win 7 now on win 8.1 with one pc and one laptop and win 7 on an other pc.

There is no need to switch over to a more expensive and more restrictive machine. Give me a PC any day over a mac for the ease of replacing parts. (I could even do that with laptops) try that with a mac.. far more complicated.

Edited by robblok

Like most I have been a PC user for years before deciding to switch to a MacBook Pro. For me it Mac OS is much more user friendly and faster in general.

A friend of mine bought an Asus notebook with similar specs and after a year it just takes forever to boot up, and is just plain slow and updates take forever to install.

My MacBook Pro has been going strong, and haven't had any problems. I for one wouldn't go back to PC, just much more simpler.

The hardest thing to get used to is that you only spend a few minutes a day, keeping your system maintained, instead of endless 30-40 minutes sessions keeping windows running properly.

I would not recommend the 11", it's just too small screen wise.

The new 12" retina looks pretty good, but not sure if it's shipping in Asia yet.

If the choice was between 11" & 13" I would go for the 13" for sure.

Tried an 11" and it was frustration, because of the lack of screen real estate.

Other than that, google is your friend. If you can't figure out how to do something, just Google it & you will know in a minute.

When changing from Windows to Mac can be a headache as you have to change your way of thinking. Apple-logic is very strange logic something like 'why make it simple if we can make it unnecessarily complicated'.

Haha You never us a Mac!? If something is complicated or Not logic... then you have Windows

It is really easy to learn, the only thing you need to practice on is the track pad, it can do a lot more.

The rest you learn on a weekend!

Good luck, Smart move!

Edited by hellstens

The hardest thing to get used to is that you only spend a few minutes a day, keeping your system maintained, instead of endless 30-40 minutes sessions keeping windows running properly.

Yeah it's nice not to have to waste your time on a load of extra security software etc just to stop your system becoming slow or potentially unsafe.

i bought an iMac in 2008 and I'm still using it ,if i stuck to a pc i would have gone through 3 of them by now and forked out at least 600 dollars on windows operating system updates,mac only charges 30 dollars for os.plus no virus problems touch wood. it took me a bit to get used to it but I'm very happy with the product.

My first computer was a LEO. My favourite OS George III. I've had some horrible experiences with MACs and PCs. The problems are not inherent in the structures of the OSs but in the strategies of the organisations that intend to capture your custom.

I think the majority of MAC fanboys are the same people who claim automatic transmissions are better/easier... and drive around in first gear all the time.

Why is that

That was a joke..."first gear"... meaning they don't use the capabilities of what they have.

In my experience it is those who don't even minimally use a MAC's capabilities that are stouting loudest about how easy they are to use.

In fact they both have their places.

But I have to agree that there is a fashion culture there too.

And politically they are dictatorial vs the more open source aspect of PC's.

I've always felt my MAC told me how I must do things, while I tell my PC how I want it done.

I think this is what some of the above posts meant, If you don't know what you want from your machine, then a MAC is a good way to go.

I think the majority of MAC fanboys are the same people who claim automatic transmissions are better/easier... and drive around in first gear all the time.

Why is that

That was a joke..."first gear"... meaning they don't use the capabilities of what they have.

In my experience it is those who don't even minimally use a MAC's capabilities that are stouting loudest about how easy they are to use.

I've always felt my MAC told me how I must do things, while I tell my PC how I want it done.

I think this is what some of the above posts meant, If you don't know what you want from your machine, then a MAC is a good way to go.

I completely disagree. I think Mac users tend to get on with using their machine to the full because the OS doesn't get in their way.

Also, it's ridiculous to claim that Windows are more 'open source', when they use an entirely proprietary OS vs the Unix underpinnings that OSX shares with the Linux world.

When changing from Windows to Mac can be a headache as you have to change your way of thinking. Apple-logic is very strange logic something like 'why make it simple if we can make it unnecessarily complicated'.

You mistakenly typed 'When changing from Windows to Mac", I am sure you meant "When changing from MAC to Windows" can be a headche........ I would hve corrected your post but that isn't allowed on this forum.wai2.gif because anyone that uses a Mac product knows it is simple as Apple Pie.

I completely disagree. I think Mac users tend to get on with using their machine to the full because the OS doesn't get in their way.

Also, it's ridiculous to claim that Windows are more 'open source', when they use an entirely proprietary OS vs the Unix underpinnings that OSX shares with the Linux world.

You might disagree.. but fact remains mac is quite restrictive and there is far more software from far more different vendors available for PC's.

I like the but mac gives a free OS.. sure after overcharging on the hardware they can give a free OS. I can have a PC with specs that beat a mac hands down for the same price and have a good OS too.

If you want a real free OS.. go for linux.. that is open source.. Mac.. restrictive. (i know linux and max are similar.. but apple has made sure you can't change much)

You mistakenly typed 'When changing from Windows to Mac", I am sure you meant "When changing from MAC to Windows" can be a headche........ I would hve corrected your post but that isn't allowed on this forum.wai2.gif because anyone that uses a Mac product knows it is simple as Apple Pie.

Same thing.. if you change from Mac to windows you will have a headache too. Unlearning stuff is always hard..and not needed anymore. Windows has gotten so easy in the last versions (though I hated 8.1) until i got a nice shell for it.

Sure you can get a similar specced PC for less - but if you want something built to the same quality, you're going to end up paying a similar amount. I'm fairly careless with my laptops, so I like Apple hardware for its longevity - I'm typing this on a seven year old Macbook which still works fine, feels solid, and happily runs the most recent version of the OS.

I don't buy the argument about the OS being restrictive or there being less software. What exactly is it you think you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac?

No "Delete" button on my Mac keyboard - I absolutely HATE that! Other than that, I've been running XP on a mid-2010 Mac mini for years, it's an awesome little bugger. Newer Mac's are dedicated to forcing you to buy expensive add-on hardware with only ONE usb port and no audio input. NFG in my opinion.

Sure you can get a similar specced PC for less - but if you want something built to the same quality, you're going to end up paying a similar amount. I'm fairly careless with my laptops, so I like Apple hardware for its longevity - I'm typing this on a seven year old Macbook which still works fine, feels solid, and happily runs the most recent version of the OS.

I don't buy the argument about the OS being restrictive or there being less software. What exactly is it you think you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac?

You don't buy the argument.. but its fact. There is more software available for a pc as for a mac. You can look it up on the internet. Far more choice for PC software many more small vendors and such. If you don't believe it tough luck I am not going to prove facts for you.

For the OS how restrictive it is.. you can debate that but most people agree windows is far more configurable but as I said its a debatable point (not so about the software no debate possible its fact that there is far more windows software)

As for the longlivity of hardware I can still build a PC that is far stronger better then any Mac for the same price. Laptops maybe. not sure about that one but in general cheaper for more specs. I have a 1yo Macbook and its great (i run windows on it) at that point it was one of the better buys as I was looking for battery life. Later I found laptops that were as good but a lot cheaper.