Laying ceramic tiles on top of laminate flooring

Griffo63

I've just moved into a new (to me) condo which has laminate flooring throughout. I'd like to lay some ceramic tiles in the kitchen area but don't really want the hassle of taking up the old laminate flooring.

My questions therefore:

Can it be done?

if so, what do I need to do to prepare the laminate flooring to accept the ceramic tiles? Sanding, bonding etc

What adhesive will best suit the job?

Other watch outs?

Thanks in advance

better to lift the laminate as it can cause the tiles to pop off if there is any movement in it plus I am not sure if you can get the good rubberised glue here, everything seems to be cement based from all the places I have been. Up to you but could work out expensive if the laminate job isnt all the professional/good.

Laminate is only laid on top of a thin layer of foam - not nailed or glued down, so should be easy to lift up.

Just make sure you cut through in a (very) neat line where you want the tile to end / laminate begin.

Edited by mikecwm

• 2 weeks later...

Can I lay ceramic tiles on top of wood ?

After sanding pergola floor, prior to polyurethaning, I don't want to have to do it again every year !

attachicon.giffloor.png

You should have bought wood effect ceramic tiles.wink.png

Woulda, coulda, or shoulda.

That doesn't answer the question does it or are you just trying to raise your post count ?

Steve's correct...any deflection at all.....which there most times is with wood.

On examining the pic maybe you could take out every Nth bit of wood and stuff some mortar underneath it all to STOP any movement. Should be quick.

Edited by cheeryble

Can I lay ceramic tiles on top of wood ?

After sanding pergola floor, prior to polyurethaning, I don't want to have to do it again every year !

attachicon.giffloor.png

You should have bought wood effect ceramic tiles.wink.png

Woulda, coulda, or shoulda.

That doesn't answer the question does it or are you just trying to raise your post count ?

And i thought you were being sarcastic with such a silly question.

Well so was I.

Post count? Whats all that about.