Big bikes to be restricted?

saorsa

I read on a thai news website that the government is thinking of banning people under 30 from riding big bikes.

With 80 lives lost on the road every single day in Thailand, perhaps they should ban everyone who learned to drive in this country from being permitted to drive any vehicles at all. Seriously, that would save 80 lives per day. If they want to improve safety on the roads that would make a big difference smile.png

If you think I am joking, see here:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/131679/thailand-road-deaths/

Yes but people are reincarnated quickly, so who cares?

• Like 1

Very true. The fact that bikes over 200cc cannot go on toll roads is stupid. I think the original thinking was that bikes are too slow and would impede traffic. Today there is no logical reasons that bigger bikes are restricted.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I highly doubt it.. besides smaller bikes still cause far more mayhem. It would be good if big bikes would get more rights. I hope the big bike manufacturers will push for that (unlikely too).

I wish the big bike companies would petition to allow big bikes on toll roads. I just bought a Ninja 2 weeks ago and found it difficult trying to navigate way back home in Bangkok, trying to avoid the toll roads.

I wasn't aware of the rule until wifey pointed it out to me when I was making the turn to the expressway entry.

I'm trying to find out the reason for this ruling. Wifey found that there was a petition previously with >10K signatures; apparently this was rejected by government.

I've been riding bike bikes for >30 years in various countries and baffled why we can't do the same here in LOS.

• Like 1

Not sure if they mean change the speed limit, or actually restrict the bikes via ECU etc.

Changing the speed limit won't make any difference other than a few more opportunities for the corrupt BIB to extort cash. Actually restricting the bikes would be impossible and extremely dangerous, imagine getting tailgated by Somchai in his Fortuner and not being able to accelerate...

Just another official speaking before they think IMO.

that the speed of big bike will limit at 80-90 km/hr in BKK and Pattaya area.

This is the clue that it has nothing to do with restricting the bike, or are there chips that only work when you cross a certain city border?

Well they could have been suggesting it was done based on where the bike was registered. I don't think they will and agree that would be incredibly stupid, but have you been listening to the comments from people in senior government positions lately? Let's remember it was just a suggestion and you know how people in power here like to speak before they think. I've heard far stupider ideas than this e.g. electronically tagging tourists on arrival so a suggestion to restrict bikes based on province of registration wouldn't surprise me at all.

Some of the suggested 'solutions' I've seen in my own workplace over the last 8 years would make your eyes water.

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 1

Not sure if they mean change the speed limit, or actually restrict the bikes via ECU etc.

Changing the speed limit won't make any difference other than a few more opportunities for the corrupt BIB to extort cash. Actually restricting the bikes would be impossible and extremely dangerous, imagine getting tailgated by Somchai in his Fortuner and not being able to accelerate...

Just another official speaking before they think IMO.

that the speed of big bike will limit at 80-90 km/hr in BKK and Pattaya area.

This is the clue that it has nothing to do with restricting the bike, or are there chips that only work when you cross a certain city border?

Well they could have been suggesting it was done based on where the bike was registered. I don't think they will and agree that would be incredibly stupid, but have you been listening to the comments from people in senior government positions lately? Let's remember it was just a suggestion and you know how people in power here like to speak before they think. I've heard far stupider ideas than this e.g. electronically tagging tourists on arrival so a suggestion to restrict bikes based on province of registration wouldn't surprise me at all.

Some of the suggested 'solutions' I've seen in my own workplace over the last 8 years would make your eyes water.

On second look, maybe they want to apply a system similar to the F1 cars, where the car automatically slows down when entering the pits.whistling.gif

Very true. The fact that bikes over 200cc cannot go on toll roads is stupid. I think the original thinking was that bikes are too slow and would impede traffic. Today there is no logical reasons that bigger bikes are restricted.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I highly doubt it.. besides smaller bikes still cause far more mayhem. It would be good if big bikes would get more rights. I hope the big bike manufacturers will push for that (unlikely too).

I wish the big bike companies would petition to allow big bikes on toll roads. I just bought a Ninja 2 weeks ago and found it difficult trying to navigate way back home in Bangkok, trying to avoid the toll roads.

I wasn't aware of the rule until wifey pointed it out to me when I was making the turn to the expressway entry.

I'm trying to find out the reason for this ruling. Wifey found that there was a petition previously with >10K signatures; apparently this was rejected by government.

I've been riding bike bikes for >30 years in various countries and baffled why we can't do the same here in LOS.

200cc is a bit on the low side, I'd be inclined to think 600cc +, you need to at least be able to comfortably keep up with the rest of the traffic or in fact go faster to be safe here - not going to explain this if you don't already know and don't want to open a debate about safe riding - that is for another thread and has already been discussed at length on this forum

• Like 1

I have a CBX and an R3 that can both easily and very quickly reach and surpass the national speed limit with plenty left for overtaking so I think your 600cc argument is fundamentally flawed

edited to say the Ninja 250 we have can also easily reach and trounce the speed limit as well and gets there much quicker than many 4 wheeled vehicles, going with the flow at 120-30-40 no problem at all for any of them with much faster speeds easily possible if required

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 1

I have a CBX and an R3 that can both easily and very quickly reach and surpass the national speed limit with plenty left for overtaking so I think your 600cc argument is fundamentally flawed

edited to say the Ninja 250 we have can also easily reach and trounce the speed limit as well and gets there much quicker than many 4 wheeled vehicles, going with the flow at 120-30-40 no problem at all for any of them with much faster speeds easily possible if required

First of all the national speed limit has nothing to do with it, I have driven on motorways here and the traffic is moving a lot faster, also the point I made was "comfortably" able to keep up or go faster than the moving traffic not screaming and struggling, that would be in the range of 140 to 200kmph - yes you could argue that that is well over the speed limit but as I already stated above keeping up with or exceeding the speed of moving traffic around you is required, 600cc might be a bit harsh so I'll give a little and say 500cc, I ride a bike capable of 300kmph and would still feel somewhat exposed when I see how they drive on the express/motor ways

• Like 1

Nope don't agree, I too ride on the roads and motorways here on bikes and cars and have no problem at all keeping up with and passing traffic comfortably without screaming and struggling, the CBX and the R3 both easily gets 150kph 2 up and top out at about 170-80 so just how fast do you need a bike to be capable of to use a motorway here...