Import tax / rate for Apple Watch sent from UK...?

roly

Anyone know what the import duty would be for an Apple Watch sent from UK? UK price for the watch is £349 + around £50 shipping via DHL. I heard it was 7% or thereabouts, and also I'm not sure how/when to pay this import tax?

Last time I sent a GoPro camera to the UK (value about £200) I was charged a few thousand baht, so I'm guessing it will likely be not too dissimilar to that and they will just call/email me...? The Thai customs website isn't very helpful in this regard.

Should I label the package as gift or tell the DHL people it's an Apple Watch and insure to the full value?

I'm ordering on the 10th, so I'm expecting delivery to UK around last week in April and hopefully receive here a week later or so.

Roly

• Like 1

Do not send by DHL. Send by GB Post with tracking number plus insurance. Mark as gift. Cheaper and almost guaranteed not to be assessed with duties and VAT. Done it many times. Zero probs.

• Like 1

I would not recommend you do this. I made a big mistake last year buying an iPhone 6 in the US and having a friend bring it over... the short story - the phone is f***ked and needs to be sent back to the US for repair under warranty as the warranty is not valid in Thailand.

I would suggest you wait until it is available locally and buy it here.

The 7% figure you mention is the Thai VAT which can routinely get charged "on top of" any customs/import tax. Sending it via DHL, who I think work as import tax collectors for the Thai govt, may result in an approx 30% import tax depending on how you identify the item and/or if Thai customs opens the package to confirm your customs declaration matches what you sent...and they agree with your valuation. Less chance of import tax/VAT when sending via postal system (insured and tracked of course).

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

The 7% figure you mention is the Thai VAT which can routinely get charged "on top of" any customs/import tax. Sending it via DHL, who I think work as import tax collectors for the Thai govt, may result in an approx 30% import tax depending on how you identify the item and/or if Thai customs opens the package to confirm your customs declaration matches what you sent...and they agree with your valuation. Less chance of import tax/VAT when sending via postal system (insured and tracked of course).

You pay the 7% on top of customs duty AND shipping. To be fair, DHL and FedEx are not tax collectors for the Thai Government. Big International shipping companies like DHL with world-wide reputation can't really cheat the system, can they?... and why should they? What is annoying when using these big two is that they must employ clearance agents (if you haven't appointed your own) who certainly like to fleece customers out of every baht they can. They can charge a flat rate no matter what the value of your shipment.

The postal system used to be an almost sure way to avoid import tax. That has changed with the new government. I recently ordered a pair of shoes from Germany. The declared value was $50 and "gift" was checked on the customs form. I got nailed for 30% import tax and 7% VAT. A year ago, this would have sailed right through. On my receipt, it said anything with a declared value of more than THB 1,000 is subject to import tax and VAT. Also, if the declared value seems suspicious, they have the right to open it and declare the value as they see fit. It's something to consider when shopping Ebay.

Like Pib said, the postal system is still the least likely to get flagged (never go DHL). But it's worth noting that things have changed.

As I said previously, I once brought in a £180 GoPro camera and had to pay a fee of around 2,000 baht. Judging by various websites I have since researched on, Thailand uses a special harmonised international system with strict limits for different types of products.

I read that "The valuation method is CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight), which means that the import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the complete shipping value, which includes the cost of the imported goods, the cost of freight, and the cost of insurance. In addition to duty, imports are subject to sales tax (VAT), and in some cases to excise, interior tax and a surcharge"

If you look here for Thai rates for the Pebble Watch, it seems to be a total of 12% (5% "MFN duty" which apparently means 'most favoured nation duty' plus 7% VAT), which might make the £349 for the Apple Watch around 2,000 (£40) when classified internationally (using the HS system that Thailand uses) as "Watches | electric: digital", however if it's going on the CIF cost, then the shipping and insurance might add another £50 on it, so basically 12% of around £400 which comes out at £48, or just under 2,500 baht, which will be fine. Basically I'll pay another £100 for the import tax and shipping to get it to Thailand, but that's preferable to waiting 3-6 months before it comes out here. :-)

The other option is to ask a friend to bring one in June, or take a holiday in Hong Kong and pick one up there instead....

Edited by roly

I've had several items shipped via the U.S. Postal System Priority Mail (cost about $15) to the Thai Postal System...takes about 10 to 14 days to arrive my Bangkok home. Expect shipping from a European postal system via priority mail to the Thai Postal System would take about the same time.

I've had several items shipped via the U.S. Postal System Priority Mail (cost about $15) to the Thai Postal System...takes about 10 to 14 days to arrive my Bangkok home. Expect shipping from a European postal system via priority mail to the Thai Postal System would take about the same time.

Was that USPS?

Was that USPS?

Yeap...U.S. Postal System (USPS).

Was that USPS?

Yeap...U.S. Postal System (USPS).

It's actually U.S. Postal service (not system). What did you send that only cost $15? Anytime I've looked online for USPS shipping costs they were higher and the cost also depends on the value of your item/s. Would one send an expensive item without declaring its value and having it insured?... and of course there's always the chance that it will be opened up and checked when it gets to Thailand and you'll be charged whatever they feel appropriate if you haven't been honest.

When you're shipping expensive items you really don't want to leave everything to luck.

I sometimes buy items off EBay and the seller quotes his USPS shipping cost. When using the USPS postage calculation there are "many" different rates available like Priority Express International (pricey) to just First Class International (much lower cost)....and also very important is whether the item is shipped in a box or envelope (like a large padded envelope). Shipping in some kind of large envelope significantly lowers the cost regardless of which country's postage system you are using. Like when I ordered things off Ebay from China/Hong Kong although many items "should" come in a box for better protection they always arrived in a padded envelope and yes that envelope is puffed up like a ball with the product inside that really better suited for a box...and I know the seller chose an envelope because it lowered the seller's shipping cost while still offering protection if there is some additional padding added within the padded envelope. My Ebay ordered items from the U.S. usually arrive in a large padded envelope also due to lower shipping costs compared to a box.

Say I was to go on Ebay right now and buy this one 300 count bottle of vitamins whick weighs 1 pound just to talk shipping something that weighs 1 pound. Shipping cost from the U.S. to Thailand is $12.59 by the seller...the seller is most likely using First Class International Mail for a padded envelope based on my past experience when buying items that weighed around 1 lb.. And the USPS also his online business postage rates where the seller gets which will be a little lower than what a person gets when walking into a post office counter and mailing it.

From my experience First Class International mail arrives almost as fast/as fast as Priority Mail International. And personally I did order some of that exact vitamin item from another Ebay seller about 18 months ago but it was 3 bottles, 3 lbs worth, total USPS shipping cost was $14.95...I got it in approx 2 weeks from the U.S. to my Bangkok home. And if the seller wanted to and I had bought 3 bottles up to "4" pounds "today" he could ship Priority Mail International in below large padded envelope for $23.50....most likely less via First Class mail.

Shipping a 1lb bottle of Vitamins from U.S. to Thailand via USPS

post-55970-0-78402300-1428546280_thumb.j

Below is a USPS quote for a large padded envelope 15" by 9.5", up to 4 pounds, $400 in value, from US to Thailand.

post-55970-0-77809800-1428547669_thumb.j

And below is a USPS quote for a large padded envelope up to 1 lb, $400 in value, from US to Thailand

post-55970-0-12009800-1428547508_thumb.j

X-amount of insurance and tracking is many times included in the basic shipping price...if not, you can add insurance & tracking for a small additional price.

The point of my post is to be sure the check out shipping prices offered by "country X postal system" such as in the UK before automatically going with a company like DHL; I'm not recommending you use the USPS if even available in country XYZ/UK or if the seller offers that service. Some sellers don't use their country's postal system for domestic or international shipments...instead they may only use DHL, TNT, UPS, FedEx, or some other shipping company (so many of them now days) because no doubt it gets the item to the customer faster especially on international shipments, provides them better tracking, and they have contracted rock bottom shipping prices. By rock bottom shipping price I mean what the seller actually pays to ship to you; not the shipping cost the seller will charge you....companies now days make additional profit by say charging $30 to ship something but it most like cost them much less.

Repeat, I'm just recommending you consider shipment from country X postal system to country Y postal system if available. And maybe using the UK postal system is much pricier in comparison to the US postal system...I don't know. Different countries, different prices for the same product/services.

Based on my Ebay buying experience and family/friends mailing me stuff it works just fine. The last time I used DHL (because I didn't have a choice from the seller) was for approx a $300 auto ignition system item bought/shipped from Germany...while the DHL shipping cost was not too terrible but a lot more than I liked, I was hit with approx 40% in total customs/import/VAT fees collected by DHL upon delivery in Thailand. 30% customs, 7% VAT, and a variety of other small customs related fees which total up to 39 to 41% without me digging out the old paperwork to see the exact percentage again.

Yeap, that will be my "last" time using DHL unless I'm absolutely forced to. DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc, can move things fast internationally and get them through customs fast (because their system actually estimates and collects the customs/VAT which is passed to that country's customs dept...makes that country very happy and that country pretty much trusts the company to do their govt customs collection/work for them. But when it arriving via postal system to postal system then the govt custom's folks must do the customs work/review (although you will pay the Thai postal system the customs charge) which can slow things down in delivery.

In closing, for declared value up to 1,000 baht you are probably not going to be hit with any customs or VAT. Now not declaring the actual cost and description comes with its drawbacks like not being able to insure the items for over 1,000 baht equivalent and does "not" in any way, shape, or form ensure the item will sail through Thai customs...instead they decide to open the package, see what is really inside, and then estimate its true value which they then use to calculate the customs charge....and they even include the estimated value of the shipping costs to determine the total estimated value of the item. There is no shortage of post of ThaiVisa of people who have their customs horror stories and those with happy ending stories (i.e. no customs/VAT). My only horror story was when using DHL one time; all my postal system to postal system shipments have been happy endings. Your results may vary. Cheers.

I would not recommend you do this. I made a big mistake last year buying an iPhone 6 in the US and having a friend bring it over... the short story - the phone is f***ked and needs to be sent back to the US for repair under warranty as the warranty is not valid in Thailand.

I would suggest you wait until it is available locally and buy it here.

I recall the issue you had.

We discussed it.

It's good you warn the OP.

Why bothering buying a "watch" which only last for 18 hrs? laugh.png

I doubt I'd buy the watch in Thailand as Apple is not very well supported here. I wish it were.

If I lived in the USA I'd definitely buy the watch and upgrade to an iPhone 6. I think a function such as Siri is nothing less than totally incredible.

Gosh I wish Thailand and or other SEA countries could get on board. Takes a few more decades i guess. Sometime...

As I said previously, I once brought in a £180 GoPro camera and had to pay a fee of around 2,000 baht. Judging by various websites I have since researched on, Thailand uses a special harmonised international system with strict limits for different types of products.

I read that "The valuation method is CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight), which means that the import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the complete shipping value, which includes the cost of the imported goods, the cost of freight, and the cost of insurance. In addition to duty, imports are subject to sales tax (VAT), and in some cases to excise, interior tax and a surcharge"

If you look here for Thai rates for the Pebble Watch, it seems to be a total of 12% (5% "MFN duty" which apparently means 'most favoured nation duty' plus 7% VAT), which might make the £349 for the Apple Watch around 2,000 (£40) when classified internationally (using the HS system that Thailand uses) as "Watches | electric: digital", however if it's going on the CIF cost, then the shipping and insurance might add another £50 on it, so basically 12% of around £400 which comes out at £48, or just under 2,500 baht, which will be fine. Basically I'll pay another £100 for the import tax and shipping to get it to Thailand, but that's preferable to waiting 3-6 months before it comes out here. :-)

The other option is to ask a friend to bring one in June, or take a holiday in Hong Kong and pick one up there instead....

Many thanks roly. You were very informative and that's refreshing to see.

Thai customs has the HS codes and duty rates on their Web site in English. If you get the supplier to state the HS code on the CI you will have less problems with imports. We import parts on a weekly basis using DHL and FedEx and never have problem. If using FedEx the value needs to be under 40k Baht or it can get comicated. You will have to pay duty and VAT on the CIF value but most duties are around 10%

Thai customs has the HS codes and duty rates on their Web site in English. If you get the supplier to state the HS code on the CI you will have less problems with imports. We import parts on a weekly basis using DHL and FedEx and never have problem. If using FedEx the value needs to be under 40k Baht or it can get comicated. You will have to pay duty and VAT on the CIF value but most duties are around 10%

I know it's asking for a lot but would you please be willing to provide a link and example of what you just posted. It seems to change the entire playing field.

TIA