Those evaporative water-cooled fan-thingies...

sbaker8688

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I think I've commented already on this but put water in a bucket.....In a room that is 100F.......The water is now also 100F.......Now take that water and mist it into the air of a closed room - instant increased humidity with below minimal cooling effect......If effect you might raise the temperature a bit too - yours

Yes they work for the most part. But only about 1/4 of an A/C unit. Also they have a problem if things are very humid. But good enough to cool a room for say sleeping (as your body temp goes down while asleep) or reading, but for a dinner party.... not really.

no not good for a sleeping room....it get too wet, fungus will grow everywhere.

But good say barbecue outside, you get the fresh cool wind from it.

they don't work very well.. had one back in farang land and it didn't cool very well.. I even put ice in it.. Waste of money.

One of those water fans that blow a mist may be better. but not as good as a proper air con.

Hmmmm. You seem to have missed the point. They only work with cold water ie if you put ice in the water, or use the supplied cool pad.

I think I've commented already on this but put water in a bucket.....In a room that is 100F.......The water is now also 100F.......Now take that water and mist it into the air of a closed room - instant increased humidity with below minimal cooling effect......If effect you might raise the temperature a bit too - yours

Sorry not correct. You need to go back to physics 101. There is a cooling effect, though not great, with the change of state from liquid to gas.

they don't work very well.. had one back in farang land and it didn't cool very well.. I even put ice in it.. Waste of money.

One of those water fans that blow a mist may be better. but not as good as a proper air con.

Hmmmm. You seem to have missed the point. They only work with cold water ie if you put ice in the water, or use the supplied cool pad.

I forgot to add that mine works fine, but a pain having to fill with ice all the time.

Yes they work for the most part. But only about 1/4 of an A/C unit. Also they have a problem if things are very humid. But good enough to cool a room for say sleeping (as your body temp goes down while asleep) or reading, but for a dinner party.... not really.

In that case... buy a fan... a 5-bladed one like for a shop floor.

half price of small air con but about 1/4 the efficency

Why bother posting numbers that are irrelevant? The price can vary greatly depending on the size and the OP can easily research the cost when he is there to shop for them.

1/4 the efficiency of what? BTU/KW? The efficiency of the evaporate cooler is largely dependent on humidity and the temperature of the air and the water.

A fan is useless when the air gets so hot it's like being in a fan oven using one.

• 7 months later...

Interesting topic. Sorry,i did not read this before and i strarted a similar topic in isaaan forum.

If i understand well, ice or cold water added to a swamp or evap cooler can cool a room.

How about if im able to circulate groundwater to such a machine.

Besides i already have reasonable results vy passive cooling due to the design of my small non-ac house i want to cool my living room only in case its very very hot and only during the day, ofcourse with no ac causr i live offgrid with a small solar system.

Any tips are welcome

A fan is useless when the air gets so hot it's like being in a fan oven using one.
... Not exactly. There always is an evaporative cooling effect of moving air across the body's skin. Enhanced by moisture (sweat) on skin surface. But the closer the ambient air temp is to the human body, 37C, the less cooling effect. More sweat offsets this somewhat as the body tries to prevent overheating. Moving air across skin creates the cooling.

Ok thanks for the replies.

How about such a setup with circulation of cold(er)water in copper pipe but a window version.

Is such a setup also depending on the humidity??

.. This is a primitive home-made attempt at AC.. .trying to replicate exactly what AC unit does, which is transfer cold off the surface of the copper tubes to the air as it moves across the tubes. However there is not enough surface area of bare tubes compared to large air movement from such a big fan. Wonder why AC units have thousands of thin metal "fins" attached to the coolant tubing? It massively expands the tubes' surface area. Same principle is used in car radiators to discharge heat generated from the operation of the internal combination engine.

Can this invention also simulate ac??

Very easycas DIY.

The invention won first place in the student category of the Biomimicry Global Design Challenge (BGDC), an annual competition focused on "addressing critical sustainability issues with nature-inspired solutions."

Youtube:

As you can see in the vid cold air is directed to the fridge. Can it also be blown to inside room? And, will this simulate Aircon???

They claim to reach temp of 5Celcius.

See also http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/blogs/new-refrigerator-cools-food-without-electricity

Edited by George Harmony

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, topeye said:

One important thing still not mentioned. Its a great difference if air just circulate in the room or if there is some exchange!

what a  gawd  awful mess, I expect the mould growth on the walls  would  be interesting.

On 4/8/2015 at 8:46 AM, mesquite said:

They work great -- in Phoenix, Arizona.

Except in those few weeks in July-August when the humidity goes all the way up to like 50%, which is still far lower than Thailand. In other words, no! Evaporative (swamp) coolers are worthless here (and yet the subject continually pops up). Here's further info:

http://energy.gov/energysaver/evaporative-coolers