Chiang Mai Moat is Home to Leech-like Parasites

Jacob Maslow

They are parasites not leeches. Anyhow which CM hand has not known for years about the filthy moat water? Only an idiot would go out in Songkran anywhere in Thailand. It's a fast track to sickness unless wearing a full NBC suit.

• Like 1

I have never heard of a good Parasite so I wonder how they will clean this up in such a short time. What can this Parasite do to you, Kill you ,cause a rash. Well come on they are still letting people near this water. WHAT THE HELL !!!!!

It sure looks like a common leech. If it settles on you for a free drink, salt will make it go. Pulling it off might leave parts behind.

I've had a good few on me in other countries, and the worst that's happened is that the anti-coagulant they inject to stop the blood clotting, can cause an allergic itch for a few days.

Whatever, I'll avoid the water-throwers around the moat, and stay with the tap water.

SOHO bar always supplies lots of cold water and other cold goodies! tongue.png

I didn't think it possible in this day and age but my ex- missus in Chiang Mai got Scrub Typhus, two weeks in hospital with anti-biotic injections every day,apparently it isn't too uncommon in CM it's caused by parasites in the bushes, hence the name scrub Typhus.

If its a leech or parasite and not bacteria why the hell would she be getting antibiotic injections?

I have never heard of a good Parasite so I wonder how they will clean this up in such a short time. What can this Parasite do to you, Kill you ,cause a rash. Well come on they are still letting people near this water. WHAT THE HELL !!!!!

Your body is full of those "good parasites" but, they don't talk.

That's probably why you didn't hear them wink.png

In fact, you probably even eat some of those good parasites

like , mushrooms, yeast in bread and beer, etc .... thumbsup.gif

They found leeches in the moat? Duh, it's not even news. And why are they not called just leeches, but "leech-like"..?

...and "no official warnings have been issued". Why would they? It would have to be worldwide.

Yiaks!! It's official! The moat is where the source of water for Songkran comes from.

People should avoid CM during Songkran festival. Can you imagine a person being infested with leech-like parasite from head to toe? Goose pimples....[emoji15]

I didn't think it possible in this day and age but my ex- missus in Chiang Mai got Scrub Typhus, two weeks in hospital with anti-biotic injections every day,apparently it isn't too uncommon in CM it's caused by parasites in the bushes, hence the name scrub Typhus.

If its a leech or parasite and not bacteria why the hell would she be getting antibiotic injections?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_typhus

i didn't know either until i googled it...but here you go...

I'm sure TAT will cleverly use it in their next advertising campaign.

After TAT invited tourists to experience Thailand under martial law,
they could now welcome foreigners to enjoy Thailand, home of
Leech-like Leeches and Parasites wink.png