4 killed, 6 injured in chartered van crash

Thaivisa News

Kamphaeng Phet:- Twelve Myanmar workers chartered a van from Nonthaburi to Mae Sot, Tak, hoping to go home to celebrate Songkran but the sleepy driver crashed the van into trees at a sharp curve, killing four and injuring six others.

The accident happened shortly before 3:30 am Wednesday when Pol Lt Arthit Boonpuang, an officer on duty of Mueang Kamphaeng Phet police station, was alerted of the crash.

Arthit and rescuers from the Sawang Kamphaeng Phet Thammasatharn Foundation rushed to the scene at Kilometer Marker 437 of Phaholyothin Road in Tambon Thamrong of Mueang district.

They found a white passenger van overturned and completely damaged. Its left side crashed into a tree.

Four bodies were found in the van. One of them was the driver, known only as Uan, and the three others were Myanmar workers. Rescuers had to used iron cutters to remove the bodies.

Six other Myanmar workers were badly injured and rushed to the Kamphaeng Phet Hospital. Some suffered head injuries while others broken arms and legs.

An uninjured Myanmar worker told police via an interpreter that the 12 workers worked for Italian Thai in Nonthaburi. They pulled their money to charter the van to Mae Sot to return home to celebrate Songkran.

He said the van left Nonthaburi at 11 pm Tuesday. He said the driver appeared sleepy because he stopped at many petrol stations along the way.

The worker said when the van reached the sharp curve, it drove straight off the road to crash into the first tree and then crashed into the second tree and stopped.

He and two friends were sitting in the middle row and escaped injuries.

Vans have very poor impact protection to start with and of course no seatbelts. Recently I had words with a driver because he was chatting on face book whilst driving like a drunk on yaba and he looked at me like I was the idiot for asking him to stop it

Edited by mcfish

Vans have very poor impact protection to start with and of course no seatbelts. Recently I had words with a driver because he was chatting on face book whilst driving like a drunk on yaba and he looked at me like I was the idiot for asking him to stop it

agree they are death traps.

They all have seat belts and speed limiters, Prayuth solved that about 9 months ago, isn't it?

Should ask Costas.

Edited by Anthony5

They all have seat belts and speed limiters, Prayuth solved that about 9 months ago, isn't it?

Should ask Costas.

Idiotic post. Have the government leaders in your home country implemented van safety standards that have improved crashworthiness of vans and would have avoided these deaths? Have your country's leaders implemented driver education programs that would reduce fatalities caused by drivers who fall asleep at the wheel? Has your country required the manufacturers of vehicles to install anti-drifting technology which detects drivers and corrects for drivers who fall asleep at the wheel (yes, this technology is now available)?

. . .

I didn't think so.

• Like 2

I rode in a van recently, wanted to fasten seat belt, had a hard time finding it, when I found it I discovered the end with the hole was on top of the seat with the head

rest stuck through it, no way it could be used.

Should ask Costas.

That came out wrong! what I meant by no seatbelts is of course they were not wearing any seatbelts. Yes most vans have seatbelts if not all of them if they are built as a passenger van and not a commercial re fit

"He said the driver appeared sleepy"

How many times do you read that from surviving bus passengers? The last thing I would do if I saw a bus driver dozing off is remain a passenger!

I agree, but keep in mind these were likely low paid burmese construction workers, and getting out would probably mean they would lose what they had already paid, and would have to pay for another van or similar - if they could even find one that would take them. People with money generally have more options.

Anyway, the good news is the driver did not flee the scene for once.

Should ask Costas.

Idiotic post. Have the government leaders in your home country implemented van safety standards that have improved crashworthiness of vans and would have avoided these deaths? Have your country's leaders implemented driver education programs that would reduce fatalities caused by drivers who fall asleep at the wheel? Has your country required the manufacturers of vehicles to install anti-drifting technology which detects drivers and corrects for drivers who fall asleep at the wheel (yes, this technology is now available)?

. . .

I didn't think so.

In the U.S., automobile safety is usually state regulated more than federally regulated.

In California:

1. Yes/Maybe

2. Yes

3. I don't know.

However, is it essential that every other nation adopt protection laws before Thailand? With van accidents being almost a daily occurrence in LOS, it would seem to me that some initiative on the part of the Thai transportation authorities is in order.

it's a few years ago now that I visited the UK, but do recall that whenever I travelled by coach or airport shuttle bus and the likes, an announcement was made reminding passengers that, by law, they were required to fasten their seat belts. Whether that still happens, I do not know, but it does serve as reminder that the UK does indeed make great efforts to reduce RTA deaths and injuries.

And it does work. There have been a few accidents in which there have been few, and often no deaths as a result. You will never completely eliminate accidents completely, but mitigating the effects by using whatever safety devices that are available is always worth the effort.

But it is not just legislation that that counts, there has also has to be a sea change in attitude as well and that is the uphill battle that faces Thailand as well as many other developing countries. (I formally lived in Egypt where these problems are just as rampant)

The informed amongst know that it is a legal requirement to wear seatbelts when travelling on coaches and buses in Thailand. My wife and I took a VIP coach trip recently on which we obediently and without any prompting, fastened our seatbelts. As far as I am aware, we were the only two to do so.

It isn't just the authorities that are at fault. It is more often the fatalistic attitude the public that results in so many deaths and injuries.

Oops.....

Now will there be an investigation into the company who employed the driver, an investigation about how much sleep had and the company safety policy about drivers working hours/ sleep... Will the company get prosecuted and. Possibly put out of business if found guilty....that's when road safety will start to improve

Dont Jump in and start calling the Driver, Your most likely to have an accident at 3 am, the time your metabolism slows down, it will happen even if you have had proper rest periods, It affects professional night drivers People jump into vehicles and try drive through out the night, better to drive through the day. a sad loss for there family and loved ones.

Edited by Thongkorn

Thong lorn...

I wasn't.....if you read it again you will se that I was talking about the company that employs him......these companies must be forced to start taking responsibility for their employees and the public they take the money from....DONT KNOW WHY THEY ARE NOT INVESTIGATED WHEN THESE ACCIDENTS SEEM TO HAPPEN AD INFINITUM

Sleeping drivers,drunken drivers,drugged up drivers,it just goes on and on,argumentative drivers,speeding drivers...a sad indictment of a budhist country that goes to the temple to make merit for a future life that goes no where,where people scramble to the temple hoping the monk would give them the winning lottery number,where people are scared of ghosts and the spirit world................happy songkran everybody!

Seems you've reached the limit of days to comb your hair at the beach. Good flight back, may your plane always be on radar.

I hope the injured ones will have a full and speedy recovery. My deepest condolences for the families and friends of the deceased.wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2