Pattaya Beach Promenade crumbles following heavy rainfall

webfact

Solid concrete not pavers you numb sculls. When will they learn.

Its not the surface Jim. Its that they put this surface on just sand as can be seen even from the photos. There also are no re enforcing iron rods in wall construction.

I don't think one could even build lasting beach structures at Pattaya beach. The amount of water coming from higher ground is so huge the flood will eat away any foundations, any obstacles and expand tiniest of cracks very rapidly. Or you have to do something like a raised broadwalk and huge pipes or small concrete canals underneath directing the flow.

So it is actually cheaper just to rebuild it every year. Concrete is cheap and Thai workforce even cheaper.

Edited by Timwin

There are also holes like this in Blackburn, Lancashire. 4,000 of the blighters!!

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

I'd love to turn you on...

I don't think one could even build lasting beach structures at Pattaya beach. The amount of water coming from higher ground is so huge the flood will eat away any foundations, any obstacles and expand tiniest of cracks very rapidly. Or you have to do something like a raised broadwalk and huge pipes or small concrete canals underneath directing the flow.

So it is actually cheaper just to rebuild it every year. Concrete is cheap and Thai workforce even cheaper.

Not really, these photos taken 2002 - 2005 show a very stable walkway and adjacent beach structure with trees that would be here today with minor maintenance. Instead a couple of ridiculous destructive projects destroyed it. There now is very serious undermining damage in many as yet photographed areas

post-40602-0-69740000-1428715581_thumb.j

post-40602-0-67184900-1428715610_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Where are the ropes or guard rails to make sure people don't fall into the hole ? This is a public sidewalk.... TIT

Dont worry Someone will place a highly effective ( and internationally recognised ) freshly cut twig marking the dangerous hole.

some examples

post-2109-0-92220400-1430029923_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-92759200-1430030021_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-52030800-1430030006_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-31877700-1430030039_thumb.jppost-2109-0-68833300-1430030051_thumb.jppost-2109-0-29100900-1430030063_thumb.jppost-2109-0-83190900-1430030072_thumb.jppost-2109-0-11313400-1430030084_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Where are the ropes or guard rails to make sure people don't fall into the hole ? This is a public sidewalk.... TIT

Dont worry Someone will place a highly effective ( and internationally recognised ) freshly cut twig marking the dangerous hole.

some examples

Come on, play fair now. You are posting multiple pictures of the same holes.

Meanwhile, back in the real world... thank Buddha for Big C plastic bags!

• Like 1

The council needs to send someone round to look into it.

No way. They need to have 3 meetings first to decide to set up a sub committee to look into the matter. biggrin.png

Only one meeting actually... where the authority states there is no hole on the beach promenade, case closed.

Looks like a sinkhole.

It is a sinkhole, but it's not 3m deep.. perhaps 1.5m.

These are a huge risk when you try to drive or ride around Pattaya during flash floods when you can't see the road surface. Sink holes (mostly not as big as this one) open up all over road surfaces during heavy rain and it doesn't matter if the road is old or new.

Edited by tropo

Come on, play fair now. You are posting multiple pictures of the same holes.

Meanwhile, back in the real world... thank Buddha for Big C plastic bags!

Yes 4 different holes.

sometimes enterprising individuals try to fill the holes with Big C plastic bags and other various rubbish when they can't find a bin.laugh.png

The average Thai building standard at work. Will be interesting to see what happens when the actual rainy season starts.

On the positive note, those fallen palm trees might make nice places to sit on, something sorely missed after their "improvements".

Does anyone have the name of the company that did the excavation and brick laying of the new promenade? Love to print up signs in Thai and English saying, "This city project paid by tax baht was constructed by _____________ corp."

We who predicted this was poor quality were labeled by some forum members as being negative. But even a 12 year old knows you first take care of the retaining walls, and erosion before you lay down an new walkway. No way in -ell are these people "engineers".

If I was a city councilman or the mayor, I would be embarassed but I guess they live in their own little world and with Thais they don't dare criticize.

• Like 1

Does anyone have the name of the company that did the excavation and brick laying of the new promenade? Love to print up signs in Thai and English saying, "This city project paid by tax baht was constructed by _____________ corp."

We who predicted this was poor quality were labeled by some forum members as being negative. But even a 12 year old knows you first take care of the retaining walls, and erosion before you lay down an new walkway. No way in -ell are these people "engineers".

If I was a city councilman or the mayor, I would be embarassed but I guess they live in their own little world and with Thais they don't dare criticize.

It's all about money, the contract will be awarded to The Mayors brothers company or similar, it's just one deep money pit, yeah I know these things happen in other countries too, but It's just so blatant here, the money gets pushed up to the top so nobody cares or dares to care.

Yes, unfortunately, it's always about the money. I think they get 'x' amount of money to do a project properly but after all the powerful people take their cuts they are left with 'y' amount of money--and it's never enough to do a project properly so corners are cut and substandard materials are used. You end up with very badly done projects like Pattaya Beach Road, Thappraya Road, and Jomtien Second Road. I loved the poster's idea to put up signs letting everyone know who did the construction work and maybe they could add a line saying what city official was responsible for PROJECT OVERSIGHT. Two years on, a large stretch of Jomtien Second Road still does not have working street lights--the light poles are there but the lights have never worked.

Yes, unfortunately, it's always about the money. I think they get 'x' amount of money to do a project properly but after all the powerful people take their cuts they are left with 'y' amount of money--and it's never enough to do a project properly so corners are cut and substandard materials are used. You end up with very badly done projects like Pattaya Beach Road, Thappraya Road, and Jomtien Second Road. I loved the poster's idea to put up signs letting everyone know who did the construction work and maybe they could add a line saying what city official was responsible for PROJECT OVERSIGHT. Two years on, a large stretch of Jomtien Second Road still does not have working street lights--the light poles are there but the lights have never worked.

You don't understand it. They get 'y' amount of money from tax payers but know they need to reach 'x' to be able to do the project properly. So their fellow workers (BiB, jet-ski scammers, even bar girls) must collect more cash for the project (and have never enough).