Campaign to reduce road accidents and prevent crimes kicks off in Thailand

webfact

Campaign to reduce road accidents and prevent crimes kicks off today

8-4-2558-12-18-31-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Many state agencies are now promoting campaigns to reduce the number of traffic accidents during the Songkran festival.

Meanwhile the Ministry of Transport also ensures that public transportation services can accommodate millions of travelers who will be planning to return to their hometowns this weekend.

The Excise Department also will be exercising strict control on the distribution of alcoholic drinks during the traditional Thai New Year.

Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong, the Transportation and Communications Minister, stated that the campaign to promote traffic safety would begin from today until April 19.

The campaign’s slogan is ‘Happiness, Convenience and Safety for All Thais’ and coordinates with a number of parties from the private sector to carry out checks on all aspects of transportation and communications.

Accordingly, improvements to road, rail, shipping and air travel systems will be made to ensure their state of readiness for the coming Songkran festival, he said.

A main priority will be placed on ensuring the existing transportation services can adequately cope with the expected rise in passenger traffic and setting up a 24 hour public aid service.

The director-general of the Excise Department, Somchai Phunsawat meanwhile, revealed that a policy of strict control on alcoholic drinks distribution will be enforced during the festival.

Furthermore, Mr. Somchai stated that all contrabands such as black-market cigarettes and alcohol will not be tolerated.

Anyone found selling or distributing such goods will find their commercial permits revoked and face criminal charges.

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly will also be informed of any transgressions and the agent in question will permanently lose their tobacco distribution rights.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/campaign-to-reduce-road-accidents-and-prevent-crimes-kicks-off-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-09

Road accident prevention center activated for Songkran

BANGKOK, 9 April 2015 (NNT) – The Minister of Interior has presided over the official launch of the Directing Center for Road Accident Prevention and Reduction, which will help ensure strict enforcement of traffic laws during the Songkran Festival.

This morning, Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda chaired the opening ceremony for the Directing Center for Road Accident Prevention and Reduction, set to be active throughout the Songkran long holiday this year from April 9 to 15. The center is given the responsibility of coordinating with other relevant agencies and units in an effort to stave off road accidents and minimize casualties.

The center will also ensure that road rules are strictly abided by and stern penalties are imposed on violators. Meanwhile, ten dangerous behaviors on the road have been compiled into a guideline which will be referred to by the center.

Such undesired behaviors consist of speeding, driving in the wrong direction, running of traffic lights, failure to fasten seatbelts, failure to carry a driver’s license, abrupt overtaking, drunk driving, failure to wear helmets, reckless motorcycle riding and use of mobile phones behind the wheel.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLwmWW5
-- NNT 2015-04-09 footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.3uNL2Gw0hNe_jl

Road accident prevention center activated for Songkran

BANGKOK, 9 April 2015 (NNT) – The Minister of Interior has presided over the official launch of the Directing Center for Road Accident Prevention and Reduction, which will help ensure strict enforcement of traffic laws during the Songkran Festival.

This morning, Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda chaired the opening ceremony for the Directing Center for Road Accident Prevention and Reduction, set to be active throughout the Songkran long holiday this year from April 9 to 15. The center is given the responsibility of coordinating with other relevant agencies and units in an effort to stave off road accidents and minimize casualties.

The center will also ensure that road rules are strictly abided by and stern penalties are imposed on violators. Meanwhile, ten dangerous behaviors on the road have been compiled into a guideline which will be referred to by the center.

Such undesired behaviors consist of speeding, driving in the wrong direction, running of traffic lights, failure to fasten seatbelts, failure to carry a driver’s license, abrupt overtaking, drunk driving, failure to wear helmets, reckless motorcycle riding and use of mobile phones behind the wheel.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLwmWW5

-- NNT 2015-04-09 footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.3uNL2Gw0hNe_jl

Failure to wear helmets by riders only ??? not passengers. use of mobile phones also when riding a motorbike ???

Forget about what it says about driving. Everyone knows the habits of Thai drivers as well as the checkpoints which will be made to collect holiday expenses for the police.

I am curious about the statement they made about alcohol ban.

I thought it was only banned on silom for songkran? Does anyone know more about this?

And Thai mothers on motorbikes holding their babies (in arms or by a strip of cloth behind their backs) will preclude injury in a crash. Same for tikes with their heads 2 cm from the speedometer, while the motorbike speeds along. Look at kids on motorbikes (as passengers or drivers) ....the ratio of them wearing helmets is about 1:6,500

Just in one small city, Chiang Rai, every hour an average of 12,000 drivers go through red lights. Nothing's going to change. About the only time I've seen traffic cops pull anyone over (in nearly 20 years on Thai roads) for not wearing helmets, is near universities, where the prettiest giggliest girls are. Easy place for a cop to get some phone #'s.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

"...reduce the number of traffic accidents during the Songkran festival..."

Why limit it to Songkran? Too much work for the rest of the year?

Until they institute roving patrol vehicles that pull traffic violators over they will not make a dent in accidents.

• Like 1

Success is as likely as being able to poke butter up a porcupine's ass with a red hot knitting needle.

Every dam year the same stream of campaigns to no effect.

300 + will die and 5 to 7,000 injured and they do nothing so let it be. Their country , their culture,their shame.

• Like 1

One more trip to the grocery store tomorrow, and then I'm going to do my usual Songkran celebration. That is, lock myself in the house until it is all over, the roads are back to "normal," and things don't resemble that Star Trek TOS episode, The Return of the Archons.

One time just to see what would happen I was at a light and beside me was a cop on a motorcycle and I was on my ninja 650. When the light turned green I hit the throttle and did a wheelie before speedimg down the road reaching 170kph before I reached the next light. The cop pulls up beside me and gives me a thumbs up. I shook my head and laughed. True story.

Edited by ldiablo

Previous administrations played around with the definition of the holidays to cut down the casualty figures for Songkran and New Year so any extra days weren't really ' holidays '. >_>

Should be no difference this time around as I doubt the current administration will allow anything to detract from its dynamic efficiency.