great to see new rules for songkran

opalred

It's hardly moaning when people get shot, there were fatal shootings in Pattaya in recent years. Also there it goes on 24/7 for a week, compared to a few days stopping after nightfall. Totally stupid.

And thrusting entire buckets in the face of passing motorcyclists.

It isn't just farang though.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP the thais are not so over the top as much as the drunken farangs are,i remembr last year walking down soi 7 and every bar had a fricken load of farangs with those high powered water guns and yeah you get an earfull from one of them it does hurt,so hope the police will ban the use of these guns completly.

• Like 1

Same old unenforced rules different year. Its like the pollution here in Chiang Mai its all talk and no action. They like to give the impression that things will be run in an orderly manner but then the wheels fall off. They have started here already this year across the road today. I would not mind but they keep playing that bang bang bass crap continuously speakers wide open. I love real Thai music but this stuff is just plan garbage and annoying. There got that off of my chest I feel better now.

• Like 2

I think the original poster is Thai, and if you read the Nation, there is a good article along the exact same lines that ran yesterday.

One year in Pattaya for Songkran -- won't do that again -- some twit of a Brit in a wetsuit shot klong water up my nose with one of those two-liters per shot PVC water weenies. I was sick for three days with a fever from the sinus infection it gave me. When I was feeling better, I dumped a six pack of Chang bottles in a garbage can and set it on the roof to ripen all day and night.

I dumped it on his head from the roof the next day, smiled, gave him the biird, and enjoyed a cold fresh one in the bar. I think he may have had to burn the wetsuit to get rid of the rank.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yes indeed times have changed. The younger groups really have a great time, older you are the less you enjoy it. So let the youngsters have their fun. As some of the posters said, at times it gets a little too wild and dangerous, I attribute that to lack of adult supervision.

• Like 2

Maybe just avoid the areas where the drunken farangs hang out for a few days, then?

Quite. Why would you even want to go out or live anywhere near drunken farang?

It's not a problem at other times, but they congregate in those areas over Songkran, coming from far and wide for 'wars' organised over social media.

It's hardly moaning when people get shot, there were fatal shootings in Pattaya in recent years. Also there it goes on 24/7 for a week, compared to a few days stopping after nightfall. Totally stupid.

And thrusting entire buckets in the face of passing motorcyclists.

It isn't just farang though.

i avoid pattaya altogether anyways, why should songkran be any different?

as for the OP, did songkran get more hectic or did he just get more old and miserable?

First off, it is impossible to avoid areas that are playing Songkhran, .. it is everywhere, ...Secondly, they can make all the rules they want, it will still be anything goes because the police disappear during all this, so who would enforce the rules?

Common Sense is gone and all hell breaks loose! Garbage cans full of ice water thrown in the back of songtaos, water cannons that can knock a person right off a motorbike, .... insanely stupid!

There are people that have to go to work and are not playing ... but they seem to be the preferred target! <deleted> and Idiots rule during Songkhran!, ..... and thirdly, ...why is this tolerated for 10 bloody days?

• Like 2

Maybe just avoid the areas where the drunken farangs hang out for a few days, then?

Quite. Why would you even want to go out or live anywhere near drunken farang?

It's not a problem at other times, but they congregate in those areas over Songkran, coming from far and wide for 'wars' organised over social media.

Then avoid those areas.

Can you really not manage a few days away from the expat bars?

• Like 1

Different year, same old moaning.

So you think it's OK for anyone to throw water at motorbike riders, and people to die because of it?

There is one prominent poster who was knocked of his motorbike with water thrown at him and laughed at

as he lay on the road.

I hope that happens to you when you are riding your bike along a Soi, you will soon change your tune.

• Like 1

Then avoid those areas.

Can you really not manage a few days away from the expat bars?

I don't drink, I just live in those areas, eat at restaurants, shop, meet friends etc., there's a lot more to Sukhumvit and Silom than bars.

I think the original poster is Thai, and if you read the Nation, there is a good article along the exact same lines that ran yesterday.

One year in Pattaya for Songkran -- won't do that again -- some twit of a Brit in a wetsuit shot klong water up my nose with one of those two-liters per shot PVC water weenies. I was sick for three days with a fever from the sinus infection it gave me. When I was feeling better, I dumped a six pack of Chang bottles in a garbage can and set it on the roof to ripen all day and night.

I dumped it on his head from the roof the next day, smiled, gave him the biird, and enjoyed a cold fresh one in the bar. I think he may have had to burn the wetsuit to get rid of the rank.

thumbsup.gif

Well done, but after you did that you should have given him a sore face. No need to worry about the Thai odds of about 6 to 1.

i avoid pattaya altogether anyways, why should songkran be any different?

as for the OP, did songkran get more hectic or did he just get more old and miserable?

Again, that isn't helpful for people that live there.

My point is though Thais will often respect a quick 'mai len' and not soak you, instead just playfully pouring a cup of water on your shoulder or ignore you and continue firing a soaker in the air, thinly spread over large crowds of dancing, already wet people.

Farang on the other hand will maliciously target you, empty a huge bucket over another farang who clearly has just stepped outside a mall, maybe doesn't know what to expect, doesn't look like he has his phone safely stored in a ziploc bag, etc. There's a considerable difference between the two.

It isn't an 'avoid the bars then' issue, people are drinking on the streets and at home, starting early, grouping together in 'gangs' to fight 'battles'. The number of road deaths and fights isn't something to troll.

• Like 2