Police mull special driver licence for big bikes

Lite Beer

What about all the spoiled 17-y/o Hi-so Thai brats on there 1000cc superbikes? The ones the most dangerous won't follow the law anyway...

Wasn't it a 19 y.o on his ducati that killed the tourist recently? These kids are dangerous enough on a 110 cc let alone a 1000 cc bike. They need more strict licencing across the board (especially practical testing). And a change in attitude, from "well, if I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die", to "maybe I should wear a helmet and not drive drunken" to reduce the risk of dying. Many Thais, in particular low educated ones, believe too much in fate and thus throw caution to the wind.

• Like 2

Ya because big bikes cause all the major road accident deaths. Where do these muppets get these ideas?

A lot of Big Bike riding tourists gets killed each year, because they are able to rent a BB on their library card, and are not able to handle heavy powered machines.

So like it or not, a special licence actually makes a lot of sense.......................coffee1.gif

Brilliant idea, although I do have a bit of a concern about the minimum
age of 30, maybe 21 or 25 would be more reasonable but, as it's already
been suggested, a minimum of maybe 2 years accident free driving on
"small" bikes at any age should be a requirement.

Kids under 18 should only be permitted to drive bicycles, electric bikes
or scooters up to 50cc. Sure would reduce accident rates dramatically.

Recent European research showed that almost two thirds of the riders
killed on roads outside towns where aged over 30 and were riding bikes
over 500 cc.
So even at 60 (for all of those reborn "Easy Riders" who can now afford

"BIG bikes wink.png ) one should need to prove two years accident free driving
on "small" bikes.

Although foremost of all would be to reinforce existing laws without

exception, otherwise it's just an other meaning less bit of toilet paper.

"Thai law currently allows people over the age of 15 to ride bikes up to 110cc on a “temporary” licence. " <deleted> I did not know this, and I think the most people here in Isaan do not know it. Here they drive bikes up to 200 cc before they are 8 years old. Sometimes drunk also. How will you enforce this new rules ? Ask god, or something similar for help ?

• Like 1

Nothing is done, that I see anyway, about children whose feet can't touch the ground happily riding around and usually with as many pals on board as they can get. They go to school like this and are seen by parents, teachers and police but ... !

The BIB, like all Thai officials, love getting headlines with grandiose ideas and that's about it until the next headline grabbing nonsense.

• Like 2