Police mull special driver licence for big bikes

Lite Beer

Even if you're 100% legal he'll try and fleece you anyway so what's the difference right?

In 10 years and probably 50-80 stops, I've never once been fined for something that wasn't illegal.

Averaging 5-8 stops a year !!

You need to do a big bike test brother and sort your sh*% out :)

• Like 2

Brilliant idea, although I do have a bit of a concern about the minimum

age of 30, maybe 21 or 25 would be more reasonable but, as it's already

been suggested, a minimum of maybe 2 years accident free driving on

"small" bikes at any age should be a requirement.

Kids under 18 should only be permitted to drive bicycles, electric bikes

or scooters up to 50cc. Sure would reduce accident rates dramatically.

Recent European research showed that almost two thirds of the riders

killed on roads outside towns where aged over 30 and were riding bikes

over 500 cc.

So even at 60 (for all of those reborn "Easy Riders" who can now afford

"BIG bikes wink.png ) one should need to prove two years accident free driving

on "small" bikes.

Although foremost of all would be to reinforce existing laws without

exception, otherwise it's just an other meaning less bit of toilet paper.

So if a car hits me while I'm stopped at a light, then no big bike license for me for 2 years?

If i've ridden a big bike for years accident free for years, then I need to ride a small bike for 2 more years to qualify...

and somehow prove it.

Congratulations on your brilliant idea.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

What about catching soidogs? Fixing cracks and holes in the road? Wipe the sand of the road, make it illegal to loose plastic bags on the road..

Bikers start doing a slalom between the cars because some cars are very slow and don't keep left. Other cars won't use their indicators...all very dangerous for bikers

• Like 2

Even if you're 100% legal he'll try and fleece you anyway so what's the difference right?

In 10 years and probably 50-80 stops, I've never once been fined for something that wasn't illegal.

Averaging 5-8 stops a year !!

You need to do a big bike test brother and sort your sh*% out smile.png

Thanks for sharing you arithmetical prowess.

I've been stopped 3x in 400km, & like HG, no fine.

My (DELETED) is fine, brother.

Edited by seedy
language
  • Like 1

One Post discussing politics removed

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific
locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or
any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

But the so called best country in the free world, the good ole US of A doesn't have a special or tiered licensing for bigger bikes and isn't that the country that we all aspire to be like?

Not exactly true, but Hell who cares about facts when any topic, probably including littering can prompt someone to decide it's time for a anti US rant. As the saying in the newspaper world goes..."a story too good to check"

In California for example there are two classes, M1 & M2. M1 is good for any class of bike, and M2 limit's the rider to scooters. Anyone under the age of 21 must show proof of a motorcycle rider training class. There is more, but I think you get the gist.

Oh Dammit, hate when fact gets in the way of hyperbole!

I like their idea, and applaud it as long as they tighten up the other part of the Motorcycle Sector... along MV's too... People drive like a bat out of hell in Thailand... Motorcycles and pedestrians are totally ignored when a Thai driver get's behind the wheel. Need more Highway police instead of City Police, who wait at corners of intersections or red light entrapment areas...

So the whole system needs revamp....

Hehe, if 30 to drive a big bike...should be 50 to drive a car(v6/v8 is how many cc/s?)... is that the idea? could you imagine that to happen? wonder what that Eutopia that would be?

Excellent idea!!

Especially if it means, you can only rent a Big Bike if you have a Big Bike licence.

That will prevent many tourists from getting killed and injured each year!!

At the moment it appears tourists can rent any bike they want irrespective of licence, that is their own responsibility not the guys who rent them out.

I have seen more and more big bikes around my town Pattaya recently, Ducati dealers etc now here, and I wonder what else other than the price keeps the brats off them.

Just apply the H / .Power rating and weight, the bigger the bike the bigger the licence fee, the same fee structure should apply for a car, the more power weight ratio and juice gobbler the higher licence fee, special low fee's for electric and duel drive train vehicles, works every time. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Obviously never happens then rolleyes.gif

Why was it moved out from the bike section, it belongs there more than here.

Good that Pol Col Ekkarak Limsunggas was thinking, it shows that some people can actually do that and come up with some fine ideas and I also appreciate that he's open to suggestions.

A suggestion from me would be to lower (or forget) the age limitation (some Motogp riders are in their early 20s and riding big bikes). Do a proper test instead. Also would be nice if they can allow the BB with "upgraded" license on the tollways and forget the retarded "Left Lane" rule.

Some of those moto GP riders are renound for crashing and making others crash from taking too many risks. The roads of Thailand are already very dangerous. Big bikes and inexperienced riders cause crashes. I don't necessarily agree that the age limit should be 30 but I am definitely in agreement with the poster that says they should prove they have 2 yrs experience on a smaller machine. I had to do a 3 day course to gain my license with a test on the final day. An examiner followed me for 30 mins with radio contact telling me when to turn left or right.

The whole driving/riding test should be revamped here. I know they have made it harder to pass last year but the riding/driving part is still far too easy.

Well done to this policeman for pushing in the right direction it's a beginning.

It's not the big bikes. It is the punks on the 110 waves hauling ass at 100 kph in traffic. Try enforcing the law.

Your suggestion is almost impossible

How can the BIB enforce traffic or ANY law that they don't know anything about

All they can do is collect their tea money whistling.gif

• Like 1

In the weekends you can see big groups of big bikes on the highways. They always drive too fast and do that in between the cars.....very dangerous.

Also it's dangerous when small bikes drive too slow on the highways. It's time thailand get a minimum speed for the highways...but hey let them first get trafficpolice who actually do something.

I don't get this law. The only country I have ever been in where if you have your home country lic. you Can't drive without the international lic. to go with it. Indonesia & Malaysia & I have heard India a Lic. is a lic is a lic. Maybe they really need to go after the scooters that the riders do not have licenses. Most of the riders that have a large bike can obviously afford insurance & have a license.When I stayed in Jamaica they never once asked if I had a Jamaican lic. My U.S. was good enough for them . My credit card paid for liability & full coverage. I can't see what the problem is. I never cringe when I am around larger bikes. It is the Common Kazis that fire out onto the sukimvette on a scooter without a head check or looking down the road to gauge how much time it will take to safely make it across the street. Since it seems that riders with bigger bikes have far fewer wrecks maybe they should go after the Non Licensed cyclists. What a joke. Its like putting away the Glock to shoot your foot & making sure you shoot your foot with a shotgun so you blow it off entirely.

But the so called best country in the free world, the good ole US of A doesn't have a special or tiered licensing for bigger bikes and isn't that the country that we all aspire to be like?

True, but where I came from you had to pass a special test for your Motorcycle license. First you have to pass all the tests to get a regular driving license and then another test including the classroom and a practical driving test, to get a motorcycle endorsement. In most states you are taught driving in High School. Thailand has recently upgraded its testing and requirements but that doesn't address the fact that many drivers don't have a license at all. Had a fender bender with a teenager a few weeks a go. "Got a driver license?" "Umm, I left it at home." "Where is your insurance sticker?" Umm...err...I haven't put it on yet." Duhhh. I am breathlessly waiting for cars and motorcycles that drive themselves. Take the person out of the equation. I will be long dead.

first to get the driving licence for the small motorbike , change the writing test cause they don't know the driving code and need to have min 80% at the test . second make real driving test on the road ( not 10 min or 30 min ) and with a examinator formed in europe ( the thai examinator don't even know the driving code ) , no more children under 14 years old can drive motorbike , and under 16 no passenger , and do the same for the car driving licence ( so easy to get the licence in thailand ) and the police have to be much more strong to apply the driving code on the roads , not only for the helmets ( joking helmets in thailand , just good for the skate-boarders ) , if write no U-turn , respect it , don't drive the wrong way , use just one lane and not stay in the middle , don't drive in the middle of the road and turn quickly to the the left or the right when you find the way you want to go , don't stay on the second lane ( if have only 2 ) or thirt way when you finish to surpass , use the right when you have to turn to right or the left , don't go straight when you stay on lane to go right or left , don't surchage your van or truck and stay on the second or thirt lane , don't cut the road , be fair on the roads especialy in the heavy traffic , and many many many others

Not exactly true, but Hell who cares about facts when any topic, probably including littering can prompt someone to decide it's time for a anti US rant. As the saying in the newspaper world goes..."a story too good to check"

In California for example there are two classes, M1 & M2. M1 is good for any class of bike, and M2 limit's the rider to scooters. Anyone under the age of 21 must show proof of a motorcycle rider training class. There is more, but I think you get the gist.

Oh Dammit, hate when fact gets in the way of hyperbole!

California isn't the whole of America. The fact is, in most states, once you have passed your test you can ride whatever you want.

Anyway this will never happen anytime soon.