Chang 5.8%

What is up with this? I just bought a bottle of Chang and it is now 5.8% alcohol as opposed to the 6% last week or whatever. It used to be 6.4% and only around 35 baht a bottle a few years ago. What is this brewery doing?

Beer is starting to get quite expensive in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just went and opened a box I bought on Tuesday at the new inflated price of 550 and as you say 5.8%. The box I have open that was 539 are marked at 6.0%. Never noticed the drop from 6.4%.

The shop told me on Tuesday that the price rise on 1st April was tax, not the brewery, but looks like they have jumped on the bandwagon.

Guess they hope people can drink more when the alcohol percentage is brought down.

For me, it is OK. Always liked Chang the best, but at one moment stopped drinking it because of the high percentage, my sessions progressing too fast. Rejoined the Chang church when they brought it down to 6%, and my faith is strengthened now they even watered it down a bit more.

• Like 1

Yeah I did notice the down sizing. It used to be

640ml and 6.4% then

600ml @ 6.4%, followed by

600Ml @ 6.0%

Not noticed 5.8% but not long until in line with tiger, Leo and Singha for size and strength, I dont mind so much as I dont drink all that often but when I do I dont like the watery taste of Leo or singha. Still I hope it tasted alright when they do or if they do reduce % and bottle size.

Liquor tax did increase this month, so you should expect to see a slight rise in prices. I believe it was 2%. Personally I don't care about the alcohol content as I don't expect to drink enough to be affected. I'm sure some of the more enthusiastic beer drinkers can tell that .2% difference cheesy.gif

If you want a stronger beer, go for Red Horse from the Philippines. It is not as strong as the one in the Philippines, but still stronger than the new Chang. And as a bonus, it is cheaper - 47 baht. I can find Red Horse at Family Mart and Tesco Lotus and at 7/11's in Phuket.

If you want a stronger beer, go for Red Horse from the Philippines. It is not as strong as the one in the Philippines, but still stronger than the new Chang. And as a bonus, it is cheaper - 47 baht. I can find Red Horse at Family Mart and Tesco Lotus and at 7/11's in Phuket.

Last time I checked they lowered it to 6% from the previous 6.5%

They had to make room for more formeldahyde.

That sounds nasty...

It's a play on the 'ol rumours about formelfahyde being put in the Thai beers ... which is utter rubbish

I don't mind it. 6.4% is a bit much really. I prefer Singha anyway but as I get older I do pay more attention to stronger beers and not going overboard with them so I welcome it