Are we not valued as people here?

You're wrong from the very start.

Just for everyone's information, non-white non-Asian Westerners are just as likely to be referred to as 'farang' as a white Westerner is.

No they're not.

They'll be called khon dam or nigro. (Presuming you are oddly talking about black people and don't want to use the term black for some uptight PC nonsense reason)

Go back and pick up your luggage from the airport, and enjoy your first visit here.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it time we had a dedicated 'farang' forum so we can endlessly discuss the various ways to spell it, none of which are correct.

Just as well you don't have a Thai word written incorrectly (soy/soey/soi, none of which are correct) using a Latin based alphabet in your username, isn't it. facepalm.gif

It's French. I pedal the bike myself.

Could someone please help me and tell me what the definition of a 'Farang' has got to do with the OP question?

Maybe 'white' Farangs have an inferiority complex and are now urgently looking for someone they can regard as inferior to them?

Then, if they found someone (eg 'the blacks' or whatever you call them) they put the blame on them, is that what you're after?

Good old Nazi style scapegoating...

Edited by micmichd

Isn't it time we had a dedicated 'farang' forum so we can endlessly discuss the various ways to spell it, none of which are correct.

Just as well you don't have a Thai word written incorrectly (soy/soey/soi, none of which are correct) using a Latin based alphabet in your username, isn't it. facepalm.gif

It's French. I pedal the bike myself.

He milks it in the morning too.

My view, a "white" Farang's view:

NO, we're not valued as people.

We're valued as customers, sponsors, part of a Thai family, maybe as artists, or simply as human beings.

And that's maybe more than we deserve.

Edited by micmichd

Flame and response to it removed.

Following a member and referring to statements made in another thread could be regarded as stalking, I suggest you desist.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Just for everyone's information, non-white non-Asian Westerners are just as likely to be referred to as 'farang' as a white Westerner is.

That or Chocolate Man.

If people get upset at being called farang, consider 5th generation Thai Indians. Indian in race but who's entire family is Thai born and raised for 5 generations.

They get called Ghek.

'Guest' in Thai.

I think you are confusing awareness of racial differences (which child development experts have determined begins as early as 2 years old) with racism which is the belief that one race is superior than another.

Let's take this one step at a time. You acknowledge that Thais use the term 'farang' to describe Westerners irrespective of their skin color. If that's true (which it is) that completely destroys the argument that 'farang' is a racist term. As many many people have tried to explain here, the word farang is primarily a descriptive term meaning 'foreigner from the West.'

Likewise, describing a person of Negroid or African descent as 'chocolate' can be viewed as a descriptive term rather than a pejorative term. I have on occasion heard Thais refer to an African-American as a 'chocolate' man. The occasion I recall it was the guy's wife, and it was used affectionately.

You are also incorrect in concluding that just because the word "kaek" has the dual etymological usage of refering to a "visitor or a guest" as well as persons of East Indian extraction that that this implies that Thais view East Indians as permanent outsiders, "guests" or "visitors" who can never be integrated into the society.

But why am I trying to educate you, a person who jokes about Asians being only "waiters and waitresses"? Regarding "racism", if ever there was an example of someone who ought to be looking in the mirror instead of pointing a finger elsewhere, it would appear to be you, sir.

yep imo part of the reason thais show little or no respect for westerners is, seems thailand like this forum is just full of Shallow minded self important bullying bigots who think they re clever but bottom line they're not.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yep imo part of the reason thais show little or no respect for westerners is, seems thailand like this forum is just full of Shallow minded self important bullying bigots who think they re clever but bottom line they're not.

What do you think the other reasons are, for the little or no respect you say they show Westerners? IYO.

That or Chocolate Man.

If people get upset at being called farang, consider 5th generation Thai Indians. Indian in race but who's entire family is Thai born and raised for 5 generations.

They get called Ghek.

'Guest' in Thai.

I think you are confusing awareness of racial differences (which child development experts have determined begins as early as 2 years old) with racism which is the belief that one race is superior than another.

Let's take this one step at a time. You acknowledge that Thais use the term 'farang' to describe Westerners irrespective of their skin color. If that's true (which it is) that completely destroys the argument that 'farang' is a racist term. As many many people have tried to explain here, the word farang is primarily a descriptive term meaning 'foreigner from the West.'

Likewise, describing a person of Negroid or African descent as 'chocolate' can be viewed as a descriptive term rather than a pejorative term. I have on occasion heard Thais refer to an African-American as a 'chocolate' man. The occasion I recall it was the guy's wife, and it was used affectionately.

You are also incorrect in concluding that just because the word "kaek" has the dual etymological usage of refering to a "visitor or a guest" as well as persons of East Indian extraction that that this implies that Thais view East Indians as permanent outsiders, "guests" or "visitors" who can never be integrated into the society.

But why am I trying to educate you, a person who jokes about Asians being only "waiters and waitresses"? Regarding "racism", if ever there was an example of someone who ought to be looking in the mirror instead of pointing a finger elsewhere, it would appear to be you, sir.

And people who carp and snipe at their fellows

That or Chocolate Man.

They get called Ghek.

'Guest' in Thai.

And people who carp and snipe at their fellows

'fellows'?. somehow i really dont think so.

What do you think the other reasons are, for the little or no respect you say they show Westerners? IYO.

loads of reasons but pattaya is a stand out for me.

That or Chocolate Man.

They get called Ghek.

'Guest' in Thai.

yep seems thai's in general openly accept what more 'socially aware cultures' would describe at best as biggotry and at worst racist yet westerners re enforce it by using terms like 'farang' . intelligent? one would think not.

What do you expect from kids growing up watching every day these so called Thai movies. Even my Thai isn't good enough to understand what is spoken in these movies, its always the same. Rich and beautiful young people permanent shouting, solving problems with a gun in their hand, beating up women and elderly, not even old enough to have finished an education but driving around with luxury cars and and and.... If you would have had to grow up with all this bullshit penetrating your brains on a daily basis, what do you think you would do when you are older and nobody gives you a car, a job, sufficient money to hang around with your friends? You would start to take it, and you would take it from those who you think that they are rich and don't belong to your country. Education starts early, about the same time envy starts

Fatfather

I`ve often thought the same way.

I try to avoid even glancing at what I would describe as Thai soap operas.

They do seem all the same,consisting of cheating, fighting, lying and shouting.

That nonsense must get entrenched in their brain.

Has anyone actually read the threads that the OP starts? They're all click bait for anti Thai sentiment.

I've just had a tit for tat with him in private messages and he openly admitted to being a troll.

Rather than spout opinions, look at the facts

A girl is thrown off a balcony after the wife catches him chesting and there is no prosecution

Two Britons are run over on their bicycle's and the fine was 300 baht

A Brit just killed an old man on a motorbike,

Let's see what happens to the brit

Two Britons are run over on their bicycle's and the fine was 300 baht

Geez.

That's 200 baht less than the 19 yr old Thai was fined for stabbing the 70 yr old Westerner after he thought they 'brushed past each other in the street.'

Are they trying to tell us something?

They dont have to try

The messages are clear....

Tourists have their value, and then we are supposed to leave

The local population knows the slap on the wrist is all they will get for harming Thailand image

Have we all not heard the cries of the Burmese as they are beaten and framed for the good if Thailand?

Isn't it time we had a dedicated 'farang' forum so we can endlessly discuss the various ways to spell it, none of which are correct, the hilarious made-up definitions, and the silly notion that it's a racist, until the cows come home?

collection of "farang" versions Thaivis 2006-2015:

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farong

faring

farnags

falung

ferong

ferang

ferung

furung

furlong

furlung

forong

folong

forlong

pharung

felang

franansgs

ferlang

forang

Folung

Frangs

You forgot Ferengi wink.png

post-193242-0-15927600-1429417359_thumb.

This is one of those posts that incites the "them against us" mentality.

If those who committed the crime actually said they were sorry for hurting Thailand's image and tourism wouldn't it seem obvious that it was a script prepared by the TAT?

Crimes occur everyday against tourists in all countries and Thailand is not an exception.

The only exception maybe being that victims (if still alive) are required to point their fingers at the culprits and for the culprits to say sorry for hurting Thailand's image and tourism.

Edited by smileydude

its pronounced Flangh...

its "farang"... from "faranghi" as in ... a person of nordic race. blonde hair blue eyes tall stature.. 8th centuray arabic. etomolyg probably means vangarian.. as arabs lack the letter v they called vangarians farangari... the arab term for the later nordic peoples franks was faranki... so these two "exotic" northern europeans that the islamic world had so much contact with became the steriotypical white skinned blonde charactor.

in arab culture of the time fair northern peopel were viewed as violent unpredictable, bold exotic and aggressive and were employed as body guards as a show of wealth..

this term spread prior to european colonial acivities through the east.. indians and arabs bringing it to thailand...

blacks fomr ameria are black farang.....

to enlighten you folks.. spanish or italians or albanians turkish ect.. for most thai people when they see themthey are not farang,, but "white indians" kau kairk ...idians are called kairk its k NOT G.

ost thails dot speak thai well and dont master some sounds like b/p cpnfustionor l/r confusion or just drop r all tgeather so they will say kaik .. :)

har to find anyone here who speaks the language well :S.... but thats not rare .. even developed countries like japan ther eis amongst older generations regional accents that are quite irregular.. just in thailand its the whole country..

chinese use to call cannons farang weapons... in other chinese translations..

indians refer to specific stlyes of swords as faranghi swords...

thais call guava as a farang fruit...

southern europeans are msotly not "farang" but considered as arabs/turks as they look the same..

UNTILL the thais find out they are from europe ...

the word farang by its self in thai is not racist.. just thai people are stupid igonrant..

thats why a poster in thsi thread said his mother in law dosnt know his name after 3 yearsor some such they fucen greedy and dumb.. and dont know shit and dont care.. if they caed they would know your name..

but thats thail if you want close nice caring famly and close family relashinships.. go marry a pretty girl from iran, turkey... or kazakhstan or some place..

thailands if for easy easy and hookers..

• 4 weeks later...

If a person feels he is not valued, it is entirely possible he had done nothing of value. Valuation of one's self is a personal thing, not depending on credit from others. Value yourself first. There is no reason to believe we are owed value just because we originate from a richer or more developed country. We are owed nothing. Only what we earn. Spending money does not mean creating value.

That's true but how does he know the value of anything including himself without the accreditation or rejection from others? Secondly, to discount wealth as a worthless qualification is in my view, naive but I see your point that inherited wealth might for example attract less respect for the holder than earned wealth and then, of course there's the 'what a person does with their wealth' question & whether or not that is deserved of respect.

I agree that one is not owed anything simply for having originated from a richer or more developed country any more than one is owed anything for being beautiful or handsome.

This is not a personal gripe just my immediate thoughts on your post.

Edited by piersbeckett

We Farangs won't be valued as people in Thailand, but maybe as individuals.

Every Thai I met so far wanted to know about my personal history, and of course, the question whether I inherited my property or worked for it is part of that personal history. Peasants and working-class people certainly appreciate it if you have worked instead of simply being an heir.

Given a certain wealth (which they expect from a Farang) and/or the ability to work Thais would also want to know what might be in it for them, if your heart is big enough to share (as they call it)

Farangs are valued if they have something to share and if they are willing to share.

Your wealth is meaningless as you self identify as merely another fa.lann, and as a result self identify as a nobody, worth 300 baht, if you are run over while riding your bicycle

In summary:

Wealth is a monetary phenomenon which didnt translate into a real sense of self