Is your home/business flood proof?

ricacrocre

No problems. Checked before we purchase dour shop-house. 37m above sea level. Looks like a river outside with the run-off sometimes but our landing is also about 2 feet above road level.

Everything was fine until last year when wife's family built me a kitchen extension. They didn't leave room for a gutter! The tiled floor levels are all wrong. Every time it rains, we have to mop up. I was on holiday when the build took place so no supervision. I could not advise them that water does not flow uphill.

You think your safe until.. I guess a flood is from rising water so this is a little different.

Saturday water entered the top floor of my shop house through the door that accesses the roof. Seems the roof is cement and its is enclosed by 4 walls at least a meter high. The water was about 6" high with no where to go accept in through the door. After some searching i found a shower style drain in a corner plugged with dirt. This is the only escape for the water so after a year of the roof collecting dirt it was a mess.

Everything was fine until last year when wife's family built me a kitchen extension. They didn't leave room for a gutter! The tiled floor levels are all wrong. Every time it rains, we have to mop up. I was on holiday when the build took place so no supervision. I could not advise them that water does not flow uphill.

I'll assume they also used the super slippery tile with the sharp edges too.

We have bought our house 20 years ago and everybody told us that this area never was flooded since 50 years. But than came 2011.. We still have lots of sand bags, it could happen again. But, no reason to leave, we were still able to get some beerdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEEfKmimwRpost-227966-0-80782800-1428895990_thumb.

Sure water flows uhill in Thailand, my wife told me so. Thats why all our drains were installed without a 'fall' but a gradientwhistling.gif

Flooding might happen on dry ground high up, GoCart Labs in Minneapolis got flooded on 6th floor:

In an office I worked before here in Thailand on 14th floor, an AC leaked water that shortcut a server during lunch.

There is more stories about Swimming pools on the roof that has leaked to rooms below, and water reservoirs that has burst. So flooding might happen even in high buildings.

Also if you are not flooded a fire can destroy all your data. Please have a proper remote backup on several places.