5 Years in Jail for Water Gun Vendors Under New Rules

uptheos

Every year there and new rules and regulations regarding Songkran celebrations. Just like all the others, this rule is NOT being enforced. I've seen those pipe guns selling and tons of people using them.

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Why is it that the authorities, of any kind, issue new rules just days before they go live. Orders for water guns were placed with Chinese manufacturers 6 months ago and so no distributor or retailer is in a position to follow a rule that is days old. Can no one think more than a day ahead?

Thinking a day ahead IS planning in advance and a major achievement!

• Like 2

Thats even more than you would get for owning an illegal gun,maybe more

if you shot and killed someone with it,if you were rich and influential.

This is the kind of sentences they want to give out to the firestarters next

year,maybe that will deter them.

regards worgeordie

I had one a few years ago down in Pattaya. Lotta fun but boy they are pretty damn powerful. Can knock someone off their bicycle if your stupid with it. Always had to hide it if the cops drove by. Still safer than fire hydrant and spigot....yes Ive seen kids with one last year....devastating!

What exactly does this 'Law' refer to? Not those simple PVC pipe affairs, similar to a bicycle pump, surely? If not, I don't think that I have seen one.

11147021_10155465543115085_2501655356850

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/5-years-in-jail-for-water-gun-vendors-under-new-rules/

Those shown in the photo are still out there but seeing less and less of them.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

What exactly does this 'Law' refer to? Not those simple PVC pipe affairs, similar to a bicycle pump, surely? If not, I don't think that I have seen one.

11147021_10155465543115085_2501655356850

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/5-years-in-jail-for-water-gun-vendors-under-new-rules/

Those shown in the photo are still out there but seeing less and less of them.

I'd like to have one of those blasters here in Hawaii to shoot the stray dogs cats and chickens. I feel so sad missing my first songkran in 15 years...............NOT!!

• Like 1

I'm going to make an NRA-type argument here but bear with me. It's not the high powered guns that are a problem per say, it's some of the idiots out there. I personally make an effort to get a high powered gun. And a couple PVC tubes. But you can use those sensibly and appropriately: when going at it with other burly men, fire away. With kids though and at close range a little squirt on the torso really isn't going to cut them in half. You can watch me do that a couple of times in the video I posted in the 'Hiding from Songkran' topic. (Not the vid I posted this morning in the main Songkran topic.).

And with PVC tube guns you can use those even baby-safe: put your finger firmly on the business end and a slight gentle spray comes out. Which by the way can also be really good with very cold water, as you can get a sustained spray at close range on non-babies for a really long time, to the point that they're going "What the f..?!" when it doesn't end after 10 seconds or so. wink.png )

Now, as for an actual hazard, that would be big burly men with small to mid-sized buckets that they can hurl with force. That's not something to do in a crowd because if you hit someone on the head mid-hurl, (bucket and all) then that's not pretty. When out with kids that's actually the main thing I watch out for (that and traffic). So would the answer be to ban the humble plastic bucket? Clearly it's not. Maybe some lessons in common sense for foreign visitors and juvenile locals would be appropriate though.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai