Seeking clarification - Thai/USA dual citizen, married to USA citizen...how to bring her over

I have been attempting to research this but keep coming up with weird information and was hoping I could find an answer here.

Me - Born and raised in the USA....36 years old, I just received my Thai birth certificate and will be going to Thailand in 3 months to get my ID card, house registration and passport(may have to come back to the USA for that)...at which point I'm fully credentialed.

I am married to Her - 33 year old USA citizen.

I am considering moving to Thailand to work on a PhD, and perhaps staying permanently as a citizen that is the easy part....I just don't leave.

Here is where I am having confusion. Being that we are married, what visa do I need for her so that she does not have to leave the country every few months, or finagle a work/student visa. I keep seeing things that says she needs to be in Thailand for 3 years, but I think that is for permanent residency. I guess what I'm asking, how do I go about getting our USA marriage acknowledged by the Thai government so she has ease of stay (and work).

Thanks so much!

-Shlenier

When you will have your Thai ID card and house registration you will not need to travel back to the USA to obtain your passport, but you will need to leave an return to air for immigration to register your presence as Thai national.

Your wife needs the "1 year extension of stay for marriage" that is obtained at any immigration office in Thailand, cost Bt 1,900 plus re-entry permit as needed.

You need your marriage certificate translated and legalized at Minister of Foreign affairs in Bangkok. With that and a confrming affidavito from your consulate you register the marriage at the Amphur, obtain the document needed to Immigration. The only other requisite for your wife is a non-imm 'O' visa, can be obtained in a nearby country or converting a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

If you just browse the forum there are countless posting on the subject. Your case is the same as all other except you do not need to provide any financial proof.

Note that for a foreigner being married or not doesn't make any difference when it comes to obtain a work permit except if working for spouse's company in which case only two instead of four Thais need to be employed.

Edited by paz

Not sure why Paz said you must return to USA to get a Thai passport. One of my sons did it all here in Thailand, got his ID card and went directly to apply for a passport. Received it within a week in Bangkok.

Not sure why Paz said you must return to USA to get a Thai passport. One of my sons did it all here in Thailand, got his ID card and went directly to apply for a passport. Received it within a week in Bangkok.

I don't think Paz said that a return to USA is necessary to get a Thai passport. As you say, that is possible to do while in Thailand. I think the point he was trying to make is that the person would have to leave Thailand and enter another country (by land/air) in order to re-enter Thailand on the new Thai passport.

• Like 1

She gets a non-immigrant O visa, at the end of her first three month entry you go to immigration, show your marriage bonafides, your Thai ID and house registration, a hand drawn map of where you live and photos of you two in every room of your place of abode, and you'll be granted a one year extension of stay.

At the end of that first year, repeat the above. After three years of marriage, one with a child, she is eligible to apply for Thai nationality. It may only take 5 to 7 years for it to get processed however!

• Like 1

She gets a non-immigrant O visa, at the end of her first three month entry you go to immigration, show your marriage bonafides, your Thai ID and house registration, a hand drawn map of where you live and photos of you two in every room of your place of abode, and you'll be granted a one year extension of stay.

At the end of that first year, repeat the above. After three years of marriage, one with a child, she is eligible to apply for Thai nationality. It may only take 5 to 7 years for it to get processed however!

Is having a child seriously a clause for Thai Nationality? We don't plan on having children...ever.

Is having a child seriously a clause for Thai Nationality? We don't plan on having children...ever.

As mentioned having a child (for women) is not a requirement but a factor that allow the process to be started earlier. There is however a requirement fro the husband to earn at least Bt 15,000 a month.

Having a child shortens the period needed to wait before applying from three years after marriage to one. Edited by samran

This is spot on as this is what I have done as well. Don't forget to provide pictures of your marriage as well, not only that you need to take a picture together in front of your house/apartment number as well along with pictures of you in your rooms!

Its a long process to get her a Thai passport, don't over think it, only viable option is to get a Non O visa and multiple entry visa if you plan on leaving the country at least twice during a year. There are single and multiple entry visas, she will also have to report in every 90 days (yes silly but thats how it is in Thailand).

Why do you have to go to thailand to get those things?

As you already have Thai birth certificate, you can get your ID card and passport from Thai consulates in America.

Since his birth certificate was issued at an embassy he does not have a 13 digit ID number.

He cannot get an ID card without the number. An adult passport also cannot be issued without the ID number.

He has to get registered here to get the ID number.