Former US envoy for North Korea nominated to post in Thailand

webfact

Method in the Madness . I believe the US are now viewing Thainess as similar to North Koreaness

Beg to differ, but Thailand is nowhere like as bad as North Korea, if only because Thailand doesn't possess nuclear-weapons pointed at US-allies, and a state-imbued hatred of the USA and all things American.

The DPRK has stated frequently and categorically that their quarrel is with the government of America, not the people. Indeed, the DPRK was among the first countries offering condolences in the wake of the September 11 atrocities.

Their quarrel is with humanity.

Method in the Madness . I believe the US are now viewing Thainess as similar to North Koreaness

Beg to differ, but Thailand is nowhere like as bad as North Korea, if only because Thailand doesn't possess nuclear-weapons pointed at US-allies, and a state-imbued hatred of the USA and all things American.

The DPRK has stated frequently and categorically that their quarrel is with the government of America, not the people. Indeed, the DPRK was among the first countries offering condolences in the wake of the September 11 atrocities.

So the nukes would destroy US-government building/facilities, but not the harmless American people living next doors to them, ya think ? facepalm.gif

After all the hardship posts Mr. Davies has held, maybe he is just being rewarded with a non-hardship Ambassador posting.

To enlighten you and one or two others, Mr Davies though the State Department's point man for North Korea was not posted there.He was based in Washington.Prior to that his last overseas post was in London where he was Deputy Chief of Mission.

I never suggested that he lived in North Korea. Dealing with them would have been hard enough. He lived in both Zaire/Congo and London both of which might be considered hardship posts.

BTW as far as enlightening me, don't bother . Others have tried. I am unenlightenable.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

So the nukes would destroy US-government building/facilities, but not the harmless American people living next doors to them, ya think ? facepalm.gif

Seeing as how such an attack will never happen, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

Mr Davies calling home to Barack: " I know, I was a bad boy, but I have served my time in NK, please have mercy and give me Zimbabwe or Somalia"

Why don't you move to Zimbabwe or Somalia if you think them better than Thailand?

Sure you'd be welcomed in either.

Bye then.

If I leave, who is going to get your blood pressure up every day??

And I am banned on SomaliaVisa.....................

After all the hardship posts Mr. Davies has held, maybe he is just being rewarded with a non-hardship Ambassador posting.

To enlighten you and one or two others, Mr Davies though the State Department's point man for North Korea was not posted there.He was based in Washington.Prior to that his last overseas post was in London where he was Deputy Chief of Mission.

I never suggested that he lived in North Korea. Dealing with them would have been hard enough. He lived in both Zaire/Congo and London both of which might be considered hardship posts.

BTW as far as enlightening me, don't bother . Others have tried. I am unenlightenable.

yeh London must be a terrible place for a diplomat to livecrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Having experience of how things are done in Nth. Korea should stand him in good stead in dealing with the junta.

I had to laugh, the good president has subtly told the Junta how they stand, regardless of comments, well done USA.

• Like 1

Shows what Washington thinks about Thailand .... hope things will have improved by the time President Clinton takes office :-)

Surely you jest about H Clinton ! That is the last thing the US needs.

Correction: HRC is the '2nd to last' thing the US needs - the absolute last thing the US needs are any of her Republican opponents, like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul. HRC is corrupt and in the hands of Wall Street and the banks. But her opposition are crazy religious Tea Party fanatics, so...it's back to that 'lesser of two evil' arguments which is so sad these years.

It actually seems that way in many countries these days. Certainly same in the UK - the choice is the lesser of two evils, and neither being particularly good.

Wonder why we have so many poor politicians these days?

Baerboxer, you mention the lesser of two evils. How this, which one of the following two is the lesser evil ?

Thailand has elections, and Thailand has it's links with the USA fully restored and no need to have the former envoy for North Korea nominated for the post in Thailand. Or, or Thailand has no elections, and we carry on seeing America doing stuff like this, and we carry on with no full links between Thailand and America.

And throw in China hanging around in the background regardless as to whether Thailand has elections or not.

Shows what Washington thinks about Thailand .... hope things will have improved by the time President Clinton takes office :-)

Hillery or Jeb........ what a choice .........

Correction: HRC is the '2nd to last' thing the US needs - the absolute last thing the US needs are any of her Republican opponents, like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul. HRC is corrupt and in the hands of Wall Street and the banks. But her opposition are crazy religious Tea Party fanatics, so...it's back to that 'lesser of two evil' arguments which is so sad these years.

It actually seems that way in many countries these days. Certainly same in the UK - the choice is the lesser of two evils, and neither being particularly good.

Wonder why we have so many poor politicians these days?

"......the choice is the lesser of two evils,........"

Apparently the USA has a similar problem

post-9891-0-16526600-1429024159_thumb.jp

Maybe this is a shot across the bow by Obama. I certainly don't know. I do know that there is a pattern afoot and that Obama is in the process of dropping longtime allies all across the world in favor of regimes once considered America's enemies. Clearly, Thailand is just not that important to the calculations made by Obama's State Dept. Instead, the focus is on Myanmar and Vietnam. Bye-bye Thailand. In the Middle East, Obama is dumping the Saudis, Egypt, and Israel in favor of Syria and Iran. Cuba would fit into the same mindset. American presidents can be perfidious. Earlier ones turned on Taiwan in favor of Red China and against Britain and France in favor of Egypt and the Arabs in 1956. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a friendlier ambassador installed in North Korea than in Bangkok.

Maybe this is a shot across the bow by Obama. I certainly don't know. I do know that there is a pattern afoot and that Obama is in the process of dropping longtime allies all across the world in favor of regimes once considered America's enemies. Clearly, Thailand is just not that important to the calculations made by Obama's State Dept. Instead, the focus is on Myanmar and Vietnam. Bye-bye Thailand. In the Middle East, Obama is dumping the Saudis, Egypt, and Israel in favor of Syria and Iran. Cuba would fit into the same mindset. American presidents can be perfidious. Earlier ones turned on Taiwan in favor of Red China and against Britain and France in favor of Egypt and the Arabs in 1956. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a friendlier ambassador installed in North Korea than in Bangkok.

I wouldn't have thought so, considering there is no US embassy or consulate in the DPRK.

I wouldn't have thought so, considering there is no US embassy or consulate in the DPRK.

None in Cuba either.

You've said this to make us all laugh, right ? I wonder, though. :)

America is certainly not going to replace Thailand with Burma ! America's problem with Thailand is, is that Thailand is not going back to having elections. America is certainly not going to side with Burma, because Burma itself does not have elections ! The Burmese junta did not get into power via an election.

What about the Saudis ? Saudi Arabia has a huge amount of oil, America has supported them despite Saudia Arabia being a place where there are no elections and little freedom of speech. Yes, America's desire for oil overides issues like democracy and freedom of sppech in foreign countries. That's why America won't be leaving Saudi Arabia.

What about Israel ? We all know that Jews in America are a small ethnic group, but yes, their power in economics is far greater than their small percentage of society. And, unsuprisingly, Jewish groups lobby the Washington government. But very important are the 'conservative Christian groups' in America. These groups dominate the Republican Party and it's foreign policy. This means backing Israel. These groups also dominate the Democrats, it's just that the domination of the Democrats is not so blatant.

Why the huge interest in Israel ? You know, right ? Lots of Americans are convinced that Jesus is coming back, yes, the Second Coming. And when Jesus comes back, there will be a massive war in the Middle East, and Israel will certainly be involved. Israel will certainly have a big role in this war, the war will actually be about Israel. Yes, America massively wants to be very much part of this war. Hence, the massive link with Israel. America, through Israel, will launch it's massive war machine to fight World War Three in the Middle East. That's why it is that America will never leave Israel. Getting ready for Jesus coming back is at the very centre of American society, groups that accept Jesus coming back heavily influence the Republicans AND the Democrats.

Anyway, back to Thailand. None of us wants to see Thailand continue to be drifting away from America. Elections in Thailand will stop this, and restore full links between the West and Thailand.

You've said this to make us all laugh, right ? I wonder, though. smile.png

America is certainly not going to replace Thailand with Burma ! America's problem with Thailand is, is that Thailand is not going back to having elections. America is certainly not going to side with Burma, because Burma itself does not have elections ! The Burmese junta did not get into power via an election.

What about the Saudis ? Saudi Arabia has a huge amount of oil, America has supported them despite Saudia Arabia being a place where there are no elections and little freedom of speech. Yes, America's desire for oil overides issues like democracy and freedom of sppech in foreign countries. That's why America won't be leaving Saudi Arabia.

What about Israel ? We all know that Jews in America are a small ethnic group, but yes, their power in economics is far greater than their small percentage of society. And, unsuprisingly, Jewish groups lobby the Washington government. But very important are the 'conservative Christian groups' in America. These groups dominate the Republican Party and it's foreign policy. This means backing Israel. These groups also dominate the Democrats, it's just that the domination of the Democrats is not so blatant.

Why the huge interest in Israel ? You know, right ? Lots of Americans are convinced that Jesus is coming back, yes, the Second Coming. And when Jesus comes back, there will be a massive war in the Middle East, and Israel will certainly be involved. Israel will certainly have a big role in this war, the war will actually be about Israel. Yes, America massively wants to be very much part of this war. Hence, the massive link with Israel. America, through Israel, will launch it's massive war machine to fight World War Three in the Middle East. That's why it is that America will never leave Israel. Getting ready for Jesus coming back is at the very centre of American society, groups that accept Jesus coming back heavily influence the Republicans AND the Democrats.

Anyway, back to Thailand. None of us wants to see Thailand continue to be drifting away from America. Elections in Thailand will stop this, and restore full links between the West and Thailand.

The reality is that the reasons for the nomination of the 'point man' as the next Ambassador to Thailand is likely to be far more complex than send shots over the bow.

RE Burma: There have been elections in Burma and there is a sham democracy - a political fiction. The fact is that there should have been new elections but the have been put off by the Junta which still remains in control in Burma. I guess there are those here that believe that if you have election y0u have a democracy - both quoted posts prove that this belief exists from their own perspectives. The USA engaged in a program of positive engagement with Junta and believed the promises that were made. The engagement included the visit from the American President - this is part of the problem that the USA is having with both Thailand and Burma. The Burmese Junta is very busy trying to ensure that the settings are in place to ensure the continuation of Junta dominance before new elections, in breach of the promises given. The USA will not increase engagement with Burma until some of the promises are kept - in the same way as the USA is trying to send messages to the region by the limited sanctions imposed on Thailand.

The USA could have easily not nominated an Ambassador to Thailand and this would have sent a passive but stronger message to the region than the appointment of ANY Ambassador. I believe that the reason why the is an attempt to fill the position is the political timing - especially as it relates to ASSEN and the geographical position in relation to countries of concern. Given that relations between USA and Thailand is problematic at this time it makes sense to have a diplomat rather than rewarding a political friend with the position. Having a diplomat with an understanding of the issues in North Korea in closer proximity to the problem and in a position where he stands a chance of using indirect channels of communication/ influence make sense to me.

Foreign policy in any country is a combination of political, economic and security issues - the relative ranking of those concerns depends of the situation at any given time. Please make your own judgments what the priorities are for any given country in relation to other countries. If you believe that it is human or political rights then you are a dreamer - but I wish you were right. Some of the drivers that you may wish to consider in the context of security concerns include Russian and Chinese expansion aspirations. expansions. Thailand in isolation is not that important to the USA

• Like 1

THAI-US TIES
Obama announces new US ambassador

THE NATION

30258015-01_big.jpg
Glyn Townsend Davies

DIPLOMAT GLYN DAVIES ENDORSED BY THAI CABINET LAST MONTH

BANGKOK: -- UNITED STATES President Barack Obama announced the nomination yesterday of Glyn Townsend Davies, the former US special representative for North Korea Policy, as the new ambassador to Thailand.

Davies, a career diplomat at the US State Department, is currently a senior adviser at the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, a position he has held since 2014, according to a White House statement.

After a six-month vacancy at the American mission, the nomination of Davies ended speculation that Washington intended to leave the position vacant to show disapproval of the military coup last May.

Kristie Kenney, who ended her tenure as ambassador in November, is now deputy assistant secretary for public affairs and public diplomacy at the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs.

She was regarded as one of the most colourful American diplomats while serving in the position from 2011 to 2014, a time of deep division in Thai politics.

Conservative elitists considered her comments on Thai politics as "interference in internal affairs" and staged demonstrations against US policy in front of the US Embassy on several occasions during the height of the political conflict.

The US Embassy in Bangkok is currently led by charge d'affaires W Patrick Murphy, who has kept a low profile but kept the US position on Thai political developments.

Despite a strong reaction to the May 22 coup that toppled the elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra, Washington has maintained that general relations with Thailand have been normal.

Delay related to procedure

After the coup, Washington "froze" military assistance and scaled down some cooperation on security and military matters, such as the annual Cobra Gold war games, while criticising Thailand and calling for an early restoration of democracy and proper rights practices.

The military government of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has reacted to pressure from the US and other Western countries by cosying up to China and Russia.

US officials said the six-month delay in installing the new ambassador to Thailand was mostly related to procedure and personal resources in Washington, rather than |political developments in Thailand.

Davies' nomination needs to be confirmed by the US Senate, but the Thai Cabinet approved the nomination of Davies in late March, according to a Foreign Ministry source.

Davies has a solid background on East Asian affairs. He served as principal deputy assistant secretary of state and deputy assistant secretary of state at the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs from 2006 to 2009. He was Special Representative for North Korea Policy from 2012 to 2014.

His areas of concern also include democracy and human rights.

He was senior adviser at the Foreign Service Institute's Leadership and Management School from 2005 to 2006, and acting assistant secretary at the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor in 2005.

He served as deputy spokesman of the State Department and deputy assistant secretary for Public Affairs from 1995 to 1997, and director of the State Department Operations Center from 1992 to 1994.

Earlier, he was posted to Australia, France, the United Kingdom and Zaire.

Davies has a Bachelor's degree in foreign service from Georgetown University and a Masters in security from the National Defense University.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Obama-announces-new-US-ambassador-30258015.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-15

The Junta's first move when Mr. Davies arrives will be to help him understand Prayut's roadmap to democracy. Then The Nation will write about how Mr. Davies understands the roadmap. What he may not understand is why Russia and China are on the roadmap. But who is he to question the DEMOCRATIC SOLDIER?

• Like 1

I wish Mr Davies a happy and fruitful posting in the Kingdom. I'm impressed with his qualifications,he is very experienced carrear diplomat. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyn_T_Davies_%28Senior_U.S._Diplomat%29

Probably too intelligent for this country but maybe his experience will help him avoid a mental break down due to frustration.