Salaries of working CM residents

junglechef

Wondering what people get paid here. Not asking a personal question but would like to know what working people, I suppose Thai's most likely, make.

Examples such as a Bank Teller or Bank Manager. Other proffessional's wages, Doctor, Chef, Mechanic etc. ect. or any that you might know. If possible please give in take home pay (after taxes applicable).

I'm trying to get a sense of what people live on here. How they manage with a family and what kind of income they need to send thier kids to a private school for example and how they afford car and house payments, that kind of thing.

This is just a mental excerise so any info that is applicable would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minimum wage hike that the previous government got through before being booted out was a long overdue blessing, as it means that fewer people are truly exploited for a pittance. Of course all the upper and middle class thought it would be a disaster for the economy and lead to crazy inflation, but -of course- they were wrong. So at the low end you're really up to 10,000 baht per month. (Even at bare minimum wage, people find ways to add a bit to their income either through overtime or some sideline working/trading.)

And then anyone educated or with a skill (chef, mechanic, etc.) makes more than that, say starting around 15,000 these days.

Once you get into the true middle class then that's 25,000 - 70,000 or so. That also includes middle management in companies, etc.

Above that is people running successful businesses, doctors, lawyers and so on. Then you're pushing 100K for Chiang Mai. (More in Bangkok).

And then the there's the people who are truly wealthy, owning companies, land and other assets and getting lots of income from that. The sky is the limit there.

Also note that more often than not when people are in a relationship, both partners work. For a middle class family, of which urban Chiang Mai has loads, that means that family income can be at or slightly above 100K per month, which is just fine to send kids to school, buy a nice car, etc.

As you can see, Thailand is definitely moving up.. And for some foreign retirees, they are finding themselves barely middle class on a modest retirement, by local standards. (all the questions about retiring on 25K, 35K, 45K etc. per month). (Of course, they don't have kids to send through school and don't really need a fancy car. However, 'rich foreigner' may increasingly become a concept of the past.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would have to say it depends what area of Thailand you are talking about.

I also note you are not including the store clerks people working in the agricultural industry which can vary according to the season. The food industry .

As for how do they make it. My Daughter and her husband They both work in a hospital make a combined take home income of about 18,000 baht. that figure does not include overtime. They live with her Grandmother and an aunt plus their two daughters and a mentally challenged teen. It is my belief that the community living such as they have allow many to do well.

Along the same lines I would be interested in how many gained from the minimum income of 300 baht. Defiantly the inflation has gone up and I recall at the time many brought home less because free extras were canceled and over time cut down. Also many did not get it.

Edit

Sorry just noticed the title said Chiang Mai.

Makes no difference in what I have said. I have seen the living conditions of many who do not live in a Moo ban or what ever you call it.

Edited by northernjohn

The minimum wage hike that the previous government got through before being booted out was a long overdue blessing, as it means that fewer people are truly exploited for a pittance. Of course all the upper and middle class thought it would be a disaster for the economy and lead to crazy inflation, but -of course- they were wrong. So at the low end you're really up to 10,000 baht per month. (Even at bare minimum wage, people find ways to add a bit to their income either through overtime or some sideline working/trading.)

And then anyone educated or with a skill (chef, mechanic, etc.) makes more than that, say starting around 15,000 these days.

Once you get into the true middle class then that's 25,000 - 70,000 or so. That also includes middle management in companies, etc.

Above that is people running successful businesses, doctors, lawyers and so on. Then you're pushing 100K for Chiang Mai. (More in Bangkok).

And then the there's the people who are truly wealthy, owning companies, land and other assets and getting lots of income from that. The sky is the limit there.

Also note that more often than not when people are in a relationship, both partners work. For a middle class family, of which urban Chiang Mai has loads, that means that family income can be at or slightly above 100K per month, which is just fine to send kids to school, buy a nice car, etc.

As you can see, Thailand is definitely moving up.. And for some foreign retirees, they are finding themselves barely middle class on a modest retirement, by local standards. (all the questions about retiring on 25K, 35K, 45K etc. per month). (Of course, they don't have kids to send through school and don't really need a fancy car. However, 'rich foreigner' may increasingly become a concept of the past.)

Unfortunately for the Thai in CM your figures about middle class are highly optimistic, not even in BKK they get so much.

"Unfortunately for the Thai in CM your figures about middle class are highly optimistic, not even in BKK they get so much."

Winnie was close. Perhaps 10-20% high but close.

Some of the problems with these statistics is confusing joint family income with individual salaries.

When at stores like Global, Lotus, Etc with 20 workers sitting around talking, they aren't paying them a lot. 9-12k a month is a lot when 80% of their time isn't spent working.

Store clerks, Laborers, cleaning staff, farm workers still make less than 9k baht a month. Many that I know only earn about 6k a month as they don't work every day. However, with 2-3 family members working to support themselves they do better.

For skilled workers as Winnie claimed it might be closer to 12k baht a month base but with overtime and private work 15k is doable for most mechanics, chefs, bank tellers,

Nurses (vary greatly from degree and title I have seen positions from as low as 9k up to 45k)

Office workers make around 12-15k a month, for more middle management positions, team leaders etc 20-25k isn't unrealistic. Bank Tellers, and workers with more experience or those that have been with a company for a long time would be in this category also.

Engineers, Doctors, Lawyers, Business Owners, can be all over the place. Some making as low as 30k baht a month to those with private clinics, practices earning 100k+ a month.

25k-70k is middle class as Winnie stated. The 70k a month is Upper Middle Class but usually from combined income. They cannot be considered wealthy but they live a very good life and can afford live in maids and usually send their kids to 2nd tier schools.

Overall, I found Winnies estimates to be accurate. It was also a well thought out and logically placed argument.

MaiChai, Your one line quip offered nothing. You did not back up any statement.

I do wish that posters here would learn to read Thai and just look at job ads rather than only using their wive's personal experience and her friends to make judgement.

Nurse 12000 baht at one of the private hospitals. Girlfriend was talking about her friend the other day.

One of my best friends is a nurse (Masters Degree from the USA). She makes closer to 30K per month but does home health a couple of days per week also.

Unfortunately for the Thai in CM your figures about middle class are highly optimistic, not even in BKK they get so much.

Rubbish. He is spot on.

"One of my best friends is a nurse (Masters Degree from the USA). She makes closer to 30K per month but does home health a couple of days per week also."

Because every nurse in CM has a master's degree from the USA. Though her salary isn't unattainable it is clearly not average.

These are the kind of comments that are misleading. Your friend clearly isn't the average nurse. Nurses could have a 2 year degree, 4 year degree, masters or PhD. They could be working for a government hospital, private clinic, private hospital or assisted living. Then are the personal care attendants that call themselves nurses but have no medical training at all. I had to perform CPR once because the so called nurse taking care of grandma didn't know it. She was paid about 6k baht a month 20 years ago. The range for what nurses make is so varied that just relaying on anecdotal reference really doesn't help gauge what the average nurse would earn.

Many nurses starting out with a 4 year degree or less start as low as 9k baht or less at most governmental hospitals.

12-15k is average for most nurses though so cnxbkkman wasn't misleading with his anecdotal reference either.

A few years ago staff at bars, restaurants and guesthouses would typically start at six to eight thousand a month. The minimum wage law raised the wages at the big restaurant chains, but most small businesses either legally got around it or just ignored it; these starting salaries may have gone up a little but not a lot. I assume at many small family run businesses the children, including the adult children, work for little or no money, just room and board.

I don't know what the people who set up food carts by the side of the road make after expenses, but I doubt that it is much. It strikes me as the option taken by those that can't find any other employment in a country with no social safety net.

I also don't know what the small farmers make, but the fact that most seem keen that their children receive an education, sending many to live with relatives so they can go to semi-decent city schools, would indicate they want better for their children. Many of the young women in the world's oldest profession are from these farms, which also indicates a desperate desire to do better. Please, no comments about 'lazy farmers' from those who haven't done long days of stoop labor under the tropical sun.

Interesting thread, Im curious too, just did a quick google search, this is for whole of thailand not chiang mai alone, but imagine it would be very similar to average in chiang mai.

wages

The numbers seem credible, and show an impressive and badly needed increase over the last three years. However I have to wonder how well the National Statistical Office of Thailand did in accounting for grey economy pay.

Interesting thread, Im curious too, just did a quick google search, this is for whole of thailand not chiang mai alone, but imagine it would be very similar to average in chiang mai.

wages

The numbers seem credible, and show an impressive and badly needed increase over the last three years. However I have to wonder how well the National Statistical Office of Thailand did in accounting for grey economy pay.

Now let's see a graph showing cost of living increases over the same period sad.png

"One of my best friends is a nurse (Masters Degree from the USA). She makes closer to 30K per month but does home health a couple of days per week also."

Because every nurse in CM has a master's degree from the USA. Though her salary isn't unattainable it is clearly not average.

These are the kind of comments that are misleading. Your friend clearly isn't the average nurse. Nurses could have a 2 year degree, 4 year degree, masters or PhD. They could be working for a government hospital, private clinic, private hospital or assisted living. Then are the personal care attendants that call themselves nurses but have no medical training at all. I had to perform CPR once because the so called nurse taking care of grandma didn't know it. She was paid about 6k baht a month 20 years ago. The range for what nurses make is so varied that just relaying on anecdotal reference really doesn't help gauge what the average nurse would earn.

Many nurses starting out with a 4 year degree or less start as low as 9k baht or less at most governmental hospitals.

12-15k is average for most nurses though so cnxbkkman wasn't misleading with his anecdotal reference either.

I am not sure anything Electrified said is misleading. He said one nurse who has studied in the USA gets 30k. Nobody then thinks all nurses in Chiang Mai are on 30K or have even studied in the USA. My example was very similar in that its a real person that i know. Two real world, accurate examples of thai nurses salaries in Chiang Mai.

Interesting topic and I think that it varies. I do know one thing, many Thais that I know are in debt and live beyond their means. I find this topic fascinating and I am always asking questions and curious about salaries plus it is a topic that comes up constantly between me and my gf. The maid in her office earned minimum wage 300฿ per day which worked out to less than 6K฿ per month with the standard 5 day work week and holidays, but they paid her 6K฿. My gf lobbied hard with head office to increase her salary and she now earns 9K฿. The drivers at her office (there are 2) are paid approx 16K฿. Btw my gf is the office manager and when she posted the position for a new driver 1 1/2 months ago she was bombarded with phone calls day and night. I asked her if that was considered a good salary for a driver, she wasn't really sure, but one of her colleagues who I spoke to told me that 15K฿ is a salary that one would expect coming out of college with a bachelors degree so that is why there was a lot of interest in the posting. He also mentioned that a driver could earn more than that if he wanted to buy his own vehicle and book tours or partake in any other driving within the tourist industry, but there is risk with that (obviously) As for the other staff in the office they are all above this level but everyone has a bachelors degree and most have masters plus they are all required to be proficient in English because it is an international organization. She also briefly spent some time job hunting last month in Chiang Mai, but almost all managerial positions she had an interest in and qualified for, were paying between 20-25K฿ and that is far less than she is earning now. Here are some other people I know. Nurse just finished school 12K฿. Another nurse experienced and working for the last 6 or 7 yrs with overtime close to 40K฿ (Bangkok based). Personal assistant to an executive of a large foreign bank 45K฿ (Bangkok based). Restaurant owner and chef together with his wife 250K-300K฿ per month. High school teacher 15K฿. Security guard 9K฿ per month but he complained that the security firm withholds a high percentage for accommodation.

wages

Now let's see a graph showing cost of living increases over the same period sad.png

In that time period, the inflation rate has never exceeded 4% and, in fact, has been declining.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/inflation-cpi

post-234579-0-10717400-1428997187_thumb.

Edited by TheAppletons

wages

I have to question that average monthly wages increased about 30% in the last 3 years. Hardly seems credible. And it would be useful to know if these amounts are basic pay or with overtime.

Though not CM specific (and somewhat trade limited) I have always found the site below reasonably accurate, current, makes allowance for years of experience, and able to drill down by industry and occupation.

http://www.adecco.co.th/salary-guide/select-class.html

ie drill down for flight attendant mentioned earlier

http://www.adecco.co.th/salary-guide/search-by-cat-result.aspx?g=COM&y=2015&c=3&p=74

At another end a SAP consultant ranges from 25k at start to up to 60k to 150k with 5 or more years experience.

Given that this a labour hire company (well regarded internationally) you would think they would have to deliver within these limits.

http://www.adecco.co.th/salary-guide/search-by-cat-result.aspx?g=IT&y=2015&c=7&p=175

PS the blurb on what is in/out

Thailand Salary Guide 2015

Publish every year since 2007, Adecco Thailand Salary Guide is a comprehensive overview of updated salary information from 5 job categories across key sectors and industries. The figures and information included in this Guide are based on information obtained from Adecco experts who work with Adecco clients and candidates every day of the week throughout the year. Each salary range is derived from the demand of market in those respective positions of Adecco clients in a year and is varied from position to position. The figures shown are base salary excluding compensations and fringe benefits.
Edited by mamborobert

Hospital administrator (with degree) 15k

Accountant (with degree) 15k

Bank Home Loan administrator 14k

Office manager Nimmanhamen (with degree) 15k

School Teacher (with degree and 10 years experience) 16k

IT manager with large hotel group (you all know the name) 10k

Popular cook at local food court (zero education) 35k (100-150 orders a night at 30-40bht)

Roadside somtan stall (zero education) 4k

In CM it's really hard to beat that 15k limit, senior management or self employed with a particular skill.

I also know some similar employee's in BK (with degrees) and they are on around 25k.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Sorry cost of living answered. but I doubt it is a fact here in Chiang Mai.

The only thing that has not gone up is my rent.

Edited by northernjohn

Popular cook at local food court (zero education) 35k (100-150 orders a night at 30-40bht)

In CM it's really hard to beat that 15k limit, senior management or self employed with a particular skill.

I also know some similar employee's in BK (with degrees) and they are on around 25k.

They seem rather low. Wifes cousin is a door man at the Shangri-La hotel and is on over 30K per month, and gets to eat all meals there. This is for greeting people as they walk into the hotel. So how can an IT manager with a large hotel group be on 10K? I don't believe it.

A door man at a CM hotel getting 30K + per month, plus food ,find that very hard to believe

They seem rather low. Wifes cousin is a door man at the Shangri-La hotel and is on over 30K per month, and gets to eat all meals there. This is for greeting people as they walk into the hotel. So how can an IT manager with a large hotel group be on 10K? I don't believe it.

A door man at a CM hotel getting 30K + per month, plus food ,find that very hard to believe

It does seem unlikely, 9k + meals would seem more reasonable.

I believe it and it's one of the big problems this country faces; wage disparity. I forgot to mention another salary of a Thai male friend, Petroleum engineer, (Thailand based) 300K฿. Excluding the self employed and business owners the few people I mentioned have a range from 9K - 300K฿. Maybe someone should start a thread about wage disparity and the financial and social problems it creates.

Edited by kanook

I mean, my part time gardener that comes once a weeks gets 3500B per month, for unskilled part time labour. Thailand is not as cheap as it once was.

If we include jobs with foreigners then can I add one I know, farm girl working as wife for a Brit on 50k+ a month.

Being employed 'off the books' by foreigners in any capacity is usually worth $$$$$$.

My moobaan pays it's gardeners and sweepers 150bht a day

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Well, I'm not making it up. He is an honest kid, and bought himself a new car, and is saving money. I did not ask him to see his pay statement, but I do believe him. Up to you if you want to believe me or not. 10K for an IT manager at a large hotel is whats unbelievable. I mean, my part time gardener that comes once a weeks gets 3500B per month, for unskilled part time labour. Thailand is not as cheap as it once was.

It's possible the five star hotels that belong to international chains have minimum wage standards that don't take into regard the local wages.

Something similar is going on with flight attendant jobs with international carriers--in some counties women want to become air hostesses for the travel and (perceived) glamor, in Thailand women want to be air hostesses for the money.

Combining the Shangrila with CM salaries.

The Spa Manager was advertised at 30k in October last year. Female, Bachelor degree, English proficiency, 3 years experience.

The Life Guard advertised same time, 9k, English skills, CPR and Life Guard Cert.

Chief Accountant (title only) same time, 20k, Good English, Bachelor degree inn Accounting.

Guest Services Centre/Telephone 9k, Bachelor degree, English or Chinese language skills

30k for the doorman may seem a bit high. But I also accept that a doorman at an international hotel must have good language/interpersonal skills, and be able to anticipate and meet guest needs ....it still seems large but it is a key role and I simply would not call it one way or another (maybe it includes tips?). You would have to be good surely to be the first face contact of the hotel! Not a role for Somchai the muppet.

I do personally know (not in the biblical sense) a girl (late 20s) who was until recently working at a 5 star international hotel on 15k, Bachelor degree and Chinese language skills who was organising tours for Chinese guests and dogsbody in down time. But she had a lot of experience with Chinese tour groups. This was a 5 day a week job with an allowance towards subsidised hotel food of 1k.and was considered a very good deal by all of her friends. She quit as did not like the downtime dogsbody role assigned and some conflict from Thai only speakers that she got the job only because she spoke Chinese (duh!)...either way face and status issues on both sides. She now freelances or sub contracts again with Chinese family and tour groups through contacts and makes a lot more (though not consistent figure) but again this is Chinese speaker with experience AND contacts (but of course no tour guide license).

Edited by mamborobert

It's not that I don't believe it but it's strange that he knows so many people with such low salaries. Almost every Thai I am friends with earn way more than 15K per month; mostly double that for similar positions.

I go to this small hole in a wall place that serves breakfast all day, 129B, many different selections.....2 eggs, bacon, home fries, toast..coffee and squeezed orange juice.....the waitresses make 35B per hr,, they work 6 days.......one time, one was going outside to get something to eat, because she said, couldn't afford 129B........since it's a farang place, hopefully they get tipped :-)