Salaries of working CM residents

junglechef

Hi Zeichen, here is my back up, sorry i didn't reply before.

And yes the following figures are suggested exactly by my wife, which is a local with many friends also local. Who better than her can give the right ideas of salaries? A foreigner?

The following are people with about 5 to 10 years in their job and all refers about Chiang Mai only(this is what we are talking about right?), overtime is usually paid 60 to 80 baht/hour.

- a nurse in state hospital:12.000 base salary + overtime

- factory worker: 10.000 + overtime

- executive secretary of government hospital boss: 22.000 (with master degree)

- manager of "Dairy Queen" for a large part of CM area, 25.000 (sometimes has small bonus but no paid overtime)

- worker (english speaking) in luxury brand shop in Central Festival 10.000 + commission (around 2.500/month average)

- KFC worker, 11.000 month

- young lawyer working in boss office and law court: 8.000 fix + commission on cases (usually makes around 15.000-18.000 all in)

- hotel receptionist: 10.000 + overtime (not guesthouse)

- young doctor at private hospital: 20.000 + commission

- bank teller : 14.000 + some bonuses

this is just an example.

In my previous post i only said (perhaps you need to re-read it) that what WTK say about middle class is in my opinion wrong, for the simple fact that the job he listed as middle class are upper class in Thailand (spcially in CM with the low salaries here). Middle class here is the bank teller not the lawyer or the doctor....the rest seems accurate to me.

WTK stated as follows: " Once you get into the true middle class then that's 25,000 - 70,000 or so. That also includes middle management in companies, etc. Above that is people running successful businesses, doctors, lawyers and so on. Then you're pushing 100K for Chiang Mai. (More in Bangkok). And then the there's the people who are truly wealthy, owning companies, land and other assets and getting lots of income from that. The sky is the limit there."

He never said people running successful businesses, doctors, lawyers, etc. are middle-class.

Yes you are right, my mistake. Still don't understand the "true middle class" at 25k-70k, Middle class in europe have those salaries (net)

Huhhh???? Maybe in Romania or Bulgaria!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.300-1.400 euro month, of course not the middle class of Switzerland and much more than the middle class in Romania. France, Spain Italy etc

I am sorry, if you think that 15k euros a year is middle class for France Spain and Italy, you are either way out of touch or just not carefully reading.

People earning less than 15k baht a month in Thailand are not middle class. Some may live a middle class lifestyle if their family has given them house, car, etc, but to support a family on 15k baht a month leaves little for comforts.

I don't argue your wage lists. I will argue that they are middle class. Factory workers are not middle class. Workers at convenience stores, fast food are not middle class.

If you are American middle class = well paid.

If you are from Europe middle class = degree (or management).

As an English person, I consider those with a degree in CM are middle class, and most of them are getting paid around 15k.

Generally the Thai households I know have at least two wage earners with degrees, giving a household income of around 30k.

For those of you talking about Europe, currently unemployment in Spain is 25% (Greece and Cyprus higher), so there appear to be a lot of middle class earning nothing at all. (You don't lose your degree or social status when you become unemployed, just your income)

As for the majority of workers in the hotel industry in CM (of which there are many), they are earning 6-9k a month, even the ones in the 5 star hotels (cooks, porters, maids). Pointing out one that gets 30k for being a doorman then citing that as the average hotel staff wage is just completely barmy.

Paragraph 1.: Agree 100%

Paragraph 2: Disagree 100% - If you know Thai households that have at least two wage earners with degrees, giving a household income of around 30k, then something is terribly wrong. My Burmese gardener makes more than 30K per month after his expenses. He takes care of 65 out of about 200+ homes in the moobaan.

Paragraph 3.: Agree 100%. I lived in Spain during the boom years.

Paragraph 4.: Can't really comment because I don't know. But I expect that International chains pay much more than 6-9K per month, but again I don't know for sure.

No one has yet posted police salaries. Where is Beetlejuice he knows this sort of thing?

10-12k at the bottom, most of their wage is made from extortion.

(and they often have to buy their jobs too, same as teachers, bank staff and other government employees 200k and up)

@electrified,

Your Burmese gardener is a self employed entrepreneur, you can't compare his wage with the sheep who just go through the motions of working.

Back in the UK, a keen self employed plumber/gardener/handyman can earn far more than most employees.

Top North guest house pays their maids 7k/month. That's typical mid-range tourist accommodation.

Four Seasons pays 8-9k/month for the same job. Five star hotel.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Don't confuse economic class with social class. They are not necessarily the same.

You can be educated just starting out earning less than 15k. You are not middle class economically.

In Thailand having a degree doesn't actually make you middle class social status. Having parents and grandparents that were educated is more likely to put you in that category as everyone can get a degree today. There are 1000's that graduate with degrees from open universities and community colleges that aren't really educated.

Electrified there are many people with degrees only earning 15-20k a month. At most universities full time lecturers with master's or PhD earn around that. Those with title, tenure, etc earn more but base salary isn't that high.

Starting positions for HR staff and other office workers with degrees is around 12-15k at most companies. Middle managers definitely get more but a combined family income of 30k a month is pretty standard for younger couples just starting out.

How do you know what your gardener earns? I just don't believe when people make those kind of statements. Have you ever been to his house? I have visited the homes of our landscapers and they don't have nice homes. Whereas someone earning 30k baht a month could easily afford a car, and a decent one story home with 50-75 square wah.

If you are just estimating what his gross take is, then ok, but most gardeners run a crew of 2-3 and don't only pay them a wage but often take care of them. Our long time family gardener ran a crew of 5 and he housed and fed them all. He probably took in 30k baht a month but had very little after expenses.

As Maejo said Someone working for a crew isn't the same as someone who runs a crew or independent business.

• 4 months later...

"One of my best friends is a nurse (Masters Degree from the USA). She makes closer to 30K per month but does home health a couple of days per week also."

Because every nurse in CM has a master's degree from the USA. Though her salary isn't unattainable it is clearly not average.

These are the kind of comments that are misleading. Your friend clearly isn't the average nurse. Nurses could have a 2 year degree, 4 year degree, masters or PhD. They could be working for a government hospital, private clinic, private hospital or assisted living. Then are the personal care attendants that call themselves nurses but have no medical training at all. I had to perform CPR once because the so called nurse taking care of grandma didn't know it. She was paid about 6k baht a month 20 years ago. The range for what nurses make is so varied that just relaying on anecdotal reference really doesn't help gauge what the average nurse would earn.

Many nurses starting out with a 4 year degree or less start as low as 9k baht or less at most governmental hospitals.

12-15k is average for most nurses though so cnxbkkman wasn't misleading with his anecdotal reference either.

I really don't think many know.

Most all of the answers have been about one person they know.

As has been said many have far more qualification than others in the same position. I have no idea how many hotels there are in Chiang Mai but I am sure they do not all have a 30,000 baht doorman. That is not even in the same ball bark in response to the OP post. Also do all the 7/11 Ma and Pa stores earn 300 baht a day after expenses how about the farm workers. Not the owners. The farm workers may earn more when they work but how many days a year do they work. The many vender's on the street. Yes one guy may have 510 eggs but how many does he sell and what is his profit margin. Many of the food carts are set up around each other and do not do big business. Many of the carts if not all of them in the Night Bazaar pay rent? I believe all the people on the walking streets have to pay charges. Not sure on that.

In short I doubt the OP will ever get an answer. There can be a big difference between what they earn and what they bring home or what they are supposed to earn according to the law.

I suppose if any one really and truly wanted to know they could learn to read Thai and follow the want ads in the Thai newspapers that would give them a general idea as has previously been suggested.

I mean, my part time gardener that comes once a weeks gets 3500B per month, for unskilled part time labour. Thailand is not as cheap as it once was.

If we include jobs with foreigners then can I add one I know, farm girl working as wife for a Brit on 50k+ a month.

Being employed 'off the books' by foreigners in any capacity is usually worth $$$$$$.

My moobaan pays it's gardeners and sweepers 150bht a day

Exactly there is a minimum wage in existence but not every one get's it. I recall that when the minimum wage went into effect many people brought home less money as they had to pay perks that the company had previously paid and they no longer got as much overtime.

Edited by northernjohn

Workers in our village ie labourers, street sweepers,maintenance men are still receiving no more that 6,000 baht a month.

This was confirmed by our villge committwe at a public meeting of residents some months ago and despite everyone agreeing this should be increased nothing to our knowledge has changed.Th eobvious solution is to put up our village fees

While there are no Unions or Government intervention this will continue. Freelance gardeners ,maids etc earn far more

Finding one for 500 baht a day you would be lucky and for me they are worth every baht

MK restaurant serving/washing/general staff. 40 baht an hour. 80 baht an hour on public holidays and sundays. Tips are shared 2000 baht month? Staff don't seem to have set hours and the boss can phone you any day with a shorter or longer shift. Team meetings, training, new promotions etc done outside of working hours and are unpaid! Just go to work 3 hours before your shift starts or on your day off for a couple of hours! You would think working in a restaurant you would at least get a decent staff meal? No nothing provided.

For all those who don't believe this kind of info unless you can read and write thai...info is from a family member who works at an MK and is staying at our house at the moment. Just sharing the info. This is an MK in Chiang Mai city.

MK restaurant serving/washing/general staff. 40 baht an hour. 80 baht an hour on public holidays and sundays. Tips are shared 2000 baht month? Staff don't seem to have set hours and the boss can phone you any day with a shorter or longer shift. Team meetings, training, new promotions etc done outside of working hours and are unpaid! Just go to work 3 hours before your shift starts or on your day off for a couple of hours! You would think working in a restaurant you would at least get a decent staff meal? No nothing provided.

For all those who don't believe this kind of info unless you can read and write thai...info is from a family member who works at an MK and is staying at our house at the moment. Just sharing the info. This is an MK in Chiang Mai city.

Seems the big businesses are catching on to the zero hours contracts.

No one has yet posted police salaries. Where is Beetlejuice he knows this sort of thing?

10-12k at the bottom, most of their wage is made from extortion.

(and they often have to buy their jobs too, same as teachers, bank staff and other government employees 200k and up)

@electrified,

Your Burmese gardener is a self employed entrepreneur, you can't compare his wage with the sheep who just go through the motions of working.

Back in the UK, a keen self employed plumber/gardener/handyman can earn far more than most employees.

Top North guest house pays their maids 7k/month. That's typical mid-range tourist accommodation.

Four Seasons pays 8-9k/month for the same job. Five star hotel.

A permanent staff member maid at Four Seasons takes home close to 30,000 Baht per month, more in peak season. You ignore the very high service charge that 5 star resorts pay.

The minimum wage is 9,000 Baht per month. Obtaining staff in Chiang Mai is becoming increasing difficult so I am amazed if anyone can recruit at 7,000 let alone get it past the labour office. I have 72 staff.

Exactly that and this forum has had this debate and that example many times before, repeated posts to the contrary are nothing but mischief making.

And since Mrs CM is ex Chedi, her salary there, because of service charge, was close to 30k. A friend of ours incidentally is a gardener there and his take home is over 20k, not 7k or 8k, 20,000 baht.

Exactly that and this forum has had this debate and that example many times before, repeated posts to the contrary are nothing but mischief making.

And since Mrs CM is ex Chedi, her salary there, because of service charge, was close to 30k. A friend of ours incidentally is a gardener there and his take home is over 20k, not 7k or 8k, 20,000 baht.

Were you susceptible to the Chedi Mind Trick? biggrin.png

Of course not all the door men in all the hotels are on 30K per month!! I never said that. All I did was offer the info I know about the salaries of the Thais that I KNOW. I never said it was the average or what ever, just contributing to the topic with the little info I have. I gave info as to the name of the hotel, to inform that it was five stars. I also know that my wifes other cousin is on over 30K per month as a pharmaceutical rep traveling and selling to hospitals. She just purchased a town home / shop house that was brand new, and cost like 2.8M baht. This, with money she saved for a deposit, and a bank loan.

I don't know any Thai on less than 30K per month. Even our masseuse gets at least that. Our maid who comes once a week charges 400B to clean the condo and takes about 2 hours. She is booked all week, and pretty sure that she works more than 2 hours per day, so you do the math.

But thats NOT me saying that low salaries do not exist! Just that I do not know anyone on these salaries of 6K-10K per month.

I really don't know why I even reply to topics anymore, when everyone just likes to distort what I have posted.

Everyone I know here is making 30K or more, too. That includes pharmaceutical rep also -, housekeeper, gardener, etc., etc. I also find it a waste of time to reply to many things as well as some people just want to distort what I said, or pick an argument over it. wink.png

Precisely.....

Were you susceptible to the Chedi Mind Trick? biggrin.png

It's Jedi Appletons, Jedi!

My partner has a degree and works in business admin for a big organisation....makes 10,000 a month in CM.

I believe it. There are many on 10K a month here. Because they accept 10K. My wage is 25K-35K per day, but there are many that are working for 10K per day. Less experience and less quality. Everyone accepts a wage that they believe they are worth.

.....and, not all degrees are equal, a Tammathirat Open Uni. BA is worth somewhat less than a Chulakorn BA.

My partner has a degree and works in business admin for a big organisation....makes 10,000 a month in CM.

I believe it. There are many on 10K a month here. Because they accept 10K. My wage is 25K-35K per day, but there are many that are working for 10K per day. Less experience and less quality. Everyone accepts a wage that they believe they are worth.

25K-35K per day is a really nice wage. Do you sell heroin or ecstasy?

Jobs for aspiring teachers, with a TEFL certificate, to teach at Chiang Mai Government Primary Schools start from 25,000 b per month*

4 years ago my daughter was on 23,000 b, 5 day week, teaching kindergarten.Things have not changed much in the education system.

* source Ajarn.com .........a very reputable web site been around for many years

Yes jobs like those have a higher risk and longer hours hence the higher wage.

I had a similar wage packet when working in Iraq and then with the oil industry in Afghanistan.

Jobs like that can be hard to find nowadays and the security risks are increasing in the Middle East as well.

The minimum wage hike that the previous government got through before being booted out was a long overdue blessing, as it means that fewer people are truly exploited for a pittance. Of course all the upper and middle class thought it would be a disaster for the economy and lead to crazy inflation, but -of course- they were wrong. So at the low end you're really up to 10,000 baht per month. (Even at bare minimum wage, people find ways to add a bit to their income either through overtime or some sideline working/trading.)

And then anyone educated or with a skill (chef, mechanic, etc.) makes more than that, say starting around 15,000 these days.

Once you get into the true middle class then that's 25,000 - 70,000 or so. That also includes middle management in companies, etc.

Above that is people running successful businesses, doctors, lawyers and so on. Then you're pushing 100K for Chiang Mai. (More in Bangkok).

And then the there's the people who are truly wealthy, owning companies, land and other assets and getting lots of income from that. The sky is the limit there.

Also note that more often than not when people are in a relationship, both partners work. For a middle class family, of which urban Chiang Mai has loads, that means that family income can be at or slightly above 100K per month, which is just fine to send kids to school, buy a nice car, etc.

As you can see, Thailand is definitely moving up.. And for some foreign retirees, they are finding themselves barely middle class on a modest retirement, by local standards. (all the questions about retiring on 25K, 35K, 45K etc. per month). (Of course, they don't have kids to send through school and don't really need a fancy car. However, 'rich foreigner' may increasingly become a concept of the past.)

Unfortunately for the Thai in CM your figures about middle class are highly optimistic, not even in BKK they get so much.

Rubbish. He is spot on.

i dont think i have a thai freind,male or female who makes less than 70k per month.

software developers, mangers, small business owners, PR reps, advertising execs etc

13,324.95....THB average for Thailand in Q2 2015. I will stand by what I have said before: median household income in CNX is under 30K per month. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

I believe the OP was looking for individual salaries. Household salaries can be all over the place.

yes, John, that is why I posted the average salary for Thailand. Average household size is slightly above 2. Do the math. Yes, salaries can be all over the place (a lot more than household size), that is why median is a much better method. In CNX median and average will be under 30K, because there aren't many super high earners here, that would make the average a lot higher than the median. Isn't it past your nap time?

• 9 months later...

Hospital administrator (with degree) 15k

Accountant (with degree) 15k

Bank Home Loan administrator 14k

Office manager Nimmanhamen (with degree) 15k

School Teacher (with degree and 10 years experience) 16k

IT manager with large hotel group (you all know the name) 10k

Popular cook at local food court (zero education) 35k (100-150 orders a night at 30-40bht)

Roadside somtan stall (zero education) 4k

In CM it's really hard to beat that 15k limit, senior management or self employed with a particular skill.

I also know some similar employee's in BK (with degrees) and they are on around 25k.

They seem rather low. Wifes cousin is a door man at the Shangri-La hotel and is on over 30K per month, and gets to eat all meals there. This is for greeting people as they walk into the hotel. So how can an IT manager with a large hotel group be on 10K? I don't believe it.

A door man at a CM hotel getting 30K + per month, plus food ,find that very hard to believe

the reason he makes 30K per month is because of the 10% service charge that is shared among the employees. hotels like Shangri La and Anantara Resort are 5 Star resorts with an average of 20K Baht per month paid to each employee after their salary; often more. then there are tips.... the 10% service charge is why the jobs are in demand - not for the salary. most of the employees at these 5 star resorts earn 30K + per month. same in Phuket, etc.

Edited by Oscar2